Why become a member? ×

Just bagged a Celinder

ped

4 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Why is it that the courier industry is populated by companies that couldn’t find their own backsides with a map and a flashlight? Honestly, how hard can it be? 😡 

Rant Over.

Quite - and make it impossible for you to collect it when they inevitably deliver when you’re at work or out because they were meant to deliver it when you had arranged it. 

Apparently TNT offer the option to collect but then you turn up and they don’t let you because COVID. So that’s good too. 

Anyway - they have my address and it’ll turn up one day I’m sure 🤷🏻‍♂️

1 minute ago, Paulhauser said:

@ped don't mean to deraile the htread, but which / what Atelier Z have you bought? I have a M265 and really like it. 

Hi mines a DAL-4 which is basically the same but with chambered body and ebony fingerboard. It’s a great bass, beautifully made and has 70s spacing which I love. The preamp is probably different too - V/V with bypass/treble cut and boost/bass boost. Does yours have a different one? 

61CE8D13-CAEA-4575-A28A-2DDBB5C6C93B.jpeg

• Like 1

The UK courier business seems to have fallen in the race to the bottom. A decade ago, they all seemed fairly competent and reliable, now they seem less than useless. 

That said, I have just had a bass flown in from Milan after initially being posted at Parma. Arrived quickly without delay or damage. MBE in Italy seem decent enough!

5 hours ago, ped said:

It was meant to have been collected on Thursday and delivered today - predictably that hasn’t been the case and TNT didnt collect at all. So the gallery have asked them to collect today for Saturday delivery - but the TNT app doesn’t show it as collected.

So that’s good

You couriered this? Have you taken leave of your senses?

7 hours ago, pete.young said:

You couriered this? Have you taken leave of your senses?

The Gallery did - should be fine in it’s case. The TNT app shows it as out for delivery today (despite not showing it as being collected yesterday) so we’ll see. Fingers crossed!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ped said:

The Gallery did - should be fine in it’s case. The TNT app shows it as out for delivery today (despite not showing it as being collected yesterday) so we’ll see. Fingers crossed!!

Quite typical, but good news.

That said a Spanish courrier has lost the Leduc I bought in late August without any other explanations than : you have to wait, it will show up.

Some people still believe in magic...

The seller has refunded me, so it's all good. 😤

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ped said:

I'll keep mine crossed too just in case. It would be a terrible shame if something happened to this lovely bass.

It’s great 😊 

The fretwork and neck are perfect so I can get the action as low as my Vigier. It’s effortless to play as a result. 

The pre sounds great - I’m not sure what the internal dip switches do but currently it’s very spicy sounding and really lively. Slapped notes sound full and weighty right up to the G. 

The body is very tactile - a little bit smaller than a full sized J, and slimmer - it reminds me of a Smith in that regard. The neck joint is neater than your regular four bolt plate and very tidy. 

But yeah it sounds tremendous. The pickups soloed sound great too, which I have found isn’t always the case with jazzes. 

The smooth covered pickups are nice under the fingers - I’m used to using them like a ramp. I don’t know about the specs of them but they are super Hifi. Also I think they’re the first pickups I’ve had where they actually raise up when you loosen the screws!

It came in a Hiscox style Celinder case which is in pretty good condition. The bass has obviously been played and has a few small marks and scratches but that’s good because I don’t want to have to baby it! 

The G tuner (Hipshot) is a little unresponsive to tuning down, it sort of needs going back to take up the ‘slack’ and back up to tune - maybe it needs oiling? Otherwise - perfect. Seriously love the shape and thin body. 

The bridge saddle grubs require a very odd sized Allen key - I have a set of every type, metric and imperial - none fit! Luckily the correct one was in the case. The truss rod needed a very slight loosen to compensate for my strings but that is a regular 5mm and was smooth as you like. The neck is a serious piece of work though - lovely bit of clank/buzz when you want it but clean when you attack slightly differently. No other neck has been this good for me and I’m really fussy with my almost dead straight neck and super low action (I normally find G saddles don’t go low enough and have to file the groove down)

Compared to the Atelier? Hm. Too early to make a direct comparison but it is more Marcus Miller and enables me to set the action slightly more to my taste. It’s a close call. Both are just fantastic at what they do and have that organic grindy 70s slap sound. 

I’ll get some pics in the next few days maybe if the whole collection which has grown a fair bit lately. I quite like that this matches my P of choice (Black/Maple) 

Cheers to the Gallery for sorting a Saturday delivery, too.

Cheers

ped

• Like 6

Had to remind myself, but dug out the info again. 

1 is for a rechargable battery OR 6 dB internal gain - I think this could vary a bit

2 for Bass Wide/Narrow EQ contour

3 for low treble boost at 4.0 kHz

4 is high treble boost at 7.5 kHz.

Depends on your rig on how you set it. 3 and 4 both on gives tremendous treble. Though my ultra clear Basschat 1x12” with  horn it’s just too much. So I have 3 or 4 on only, can’t remember which, lol.  I leave the bass EQ boost as ‘wide’ (switch 2 on) - very cushy sound. 

Welcome to the club!

Pete

Edited by funkle
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, ped said:

Hi mines a DAL-4 which is basically the same but with chambered body and ebony fingerboard. It’s a great bass, beautifully made and has 70s spacing which I love. The preamp is probably different too - V/V with bypass/treble cut and boost/bass boost. Does yours have a different one? 

Lovely! I have a ash body / one piece maple neck/ board  M265 with 3 band Bartolini eq. '60 spacing... (see pic below)

Congrats to the safe arrival of the Celinder! Have fun with it and I'm looking forward how it will be performing after the initial impressions. I always wanted to have a Celinder 5 string jazz...

569055_main_l_201803151915.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paulhauser said:

Lovely! I have a ash body / one piece maple neck/ board  M265 with 3 band Bartolini eq. '60 spacing... (see pic below)

Congrats to the safe arrival of the Celinder! Have fun with it and I'm looking forward how it will be performing after the initial impressions. I always wanted to have a Celinder 5 string jazz...

569055_main_l_201803151915.jpg

That’s a beauty. I love the transparent plates on them. They are quite unusual in the UK I think, although I think Bass Direct is a distributor now. The team seem nice too, I asked them about mine from the serial and got a nice detailed reply. Apparently Chris Celinder doesn’t do that! 

Where did you find yours? 

2 hours ago, ped said:

That’s a beauty. I love the transparent plates on them. They are quite unusual in the UK I think, although I think Bass Direct is a distributor now. The team seem nice too, I asked them about mine from the serial and got a nice detailed reply. Apparently Chris Celinder doesn’t do that! 

Where did you find yours? 

I got mine directly from Japan. The shop I got it from is Ikebe Gakki and I had wondeful time working out this with them, the second time I dealt with them. 

15 minutes ago, Paulhauser said:

I got mine directly from Japan. The shop I got it from is Ikebe Gakki and I had wondeful time working out this with them, the second time I dealt with them. 

Ah cool yes I ordered a Bacchus from them I think a while ago - great service. They managed to source exactly what I was after. I swear Japan has basically one of everything!

• Like 1

On 24/10/2020 at 18:13, funkle said:

Had to remind myself, but dug out the info again. 

1 is for a rechargable battery OR 6 dB internal gain - I think this could vary a bit

2 for Bass Wide/Narrow EQ contour

3 for low treble boost at 4.0 kHz

4 is high treble boost at 7.5 kHz.

Depends on your rig on how you set it. 3 and 4 both on gives tremendous treble. Though my ultra clear Basschat 1x12” with  horn it’s just too much. So I have 3 or 4 on only, can’t remember which, lol.  I leave the bass EQ boost as ‘wide’ (switch 2 on) - very cushy sound. 

Welcome to the club!

Pete

Hi Pete

I've had some time to play with the switches and have found my favourite sound is with all of them off - just a beautiful grainy 70's slap sound with a lot of growl. The controls still do a LOT - I tend to have the treble backed off about half way and still I'm getting a really clear hifi sound, with bags of treble in reserve. The bass control I tend to have just past middle for some extra oomph which doesn't diminish the clarity of finger style lines.

Although the dip switches are a bit tricky to access, it means once you set it you still lonely have two EQ knobs on the bass, but it's like having the option of a completely different preamp depending on how you set it. 

I also tried the pre with every switch on, and thought it would make a great recording sound; very even and detailed especially when riding my limiter. Despite having bags of power the preamp is really musical - even with everything right up the range is useful and sweet sounding.

Random Q - where is the serial number?! I swear I've checked it over completely but can't see anything, or in the cavity?

The pre is a CPIIIA - I don't suppose you have any literature about the pre somewhere?

• Like 1

Did you check the edge of the headstock for the serial number, Chris ?

And below are the specs of the Greengrove preamp.

User pot-meters :

- Treble cut

- Bass boost with center-detent

Onboard configurations :

- 6dB overall gain (dip switch)

- Narrow/wide equalizer (dip switch)

- Bright eq settings (dip switch)

The treble cut is designed to cut 6dB/Oct @ 500Hz-16kHz

The bass boost is giving boost or damping up to +/-16dB @ 40 Hz

DIP switches :

1.ON = Narrow Eq (on bassbost) / OFF = Wide Eq (on bassboost)

2."Higher eq" treble boost

3."Lower eq" treble boost

4.ON = +6dB gain (overall signal gain) / OFF = 0dB

Overall gain can also be adjusted on the mini trim pot-meter

Power supply : +9volts DC

Bass boost/cut : +/-16dB @ 40Hz

High cut : 6dB/oct 500Hz-16kHz

Hours : 200h (9 volt Alkaline)

Edited by Hellzero
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the info. I think my switches are in the order Funkle posted above instead but the frequency detail is really useful 

Nothing on my headstock - I swear I’ve checked every inch of the bass but it’s probably staring me in the face just like when I’m looking for something in the kitchen 

• Like 1