Why become a member? ×

Just bagged a Celinder

ped

I’ve been after a Celinder J-Update for a long time but never found one for sale. Earlier today I was just browsing some sites whilst I was waiting for something to download and I couldn’t quite believe that this was staring back at me from the Bass Gallery site. Got it bought immediately - I’ll figure out how to afford it later!  

1B7DE140-B04E-4F6F-AB26-0F0DFA43711D.jpeg

• Like 30

Just now, Russ said:

Whatever happened to Toasted?

Back in the day, he had a lovely Celinder J-Update just like that one. Maybe he sold it to The Gallery? 

Kiwi used to have one too. No I haven’t seen Toasted for a long time!

3 minutes ago, Chris2112 said:

What is the attraction there Ped? Seema a bit of a change from the usual boutique kit for you (yes, I know well that Celinders aren't cheap). 

I’ve always loved the sound of a 70s spacing jazz. I bought an amazing Atelier Z recently and of course now this comes up too. 

I’m basically building up the perfect P/J/MM threesome to have in the toolkit alongside my usual fave. 

As I’ve said elsewhere before, having found my number one bass many years ago has freed me up to investigate, try and collect ‘perfect’ examples of other marques. 

As bass means so much to me both as a hobby and of course BC, it’s nice to have a great example of each of these classic types as a no loss investment and just for fun. 

That’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it!

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Good pick Chris. I'll stop looking for you, now. Greengrove preamp ?

Thanks! Yes I think so - Vol, Vol, Bass boost/cut and treble cut. 

It’ll be interesting to compare to the Atelier, which has the Marcus Miller sound in spades. Either way I can’t lose - I’ve always wanted to try one and if the Atelier wins then I have scratched an itch finally!

• Like 1

Nice looking bass @ped. Not tried a Celinder yet, but I hear good things
Reading your first post, I particularly liked the words; "Got it bought immediately - I’ll figure out how to afford it later! 
If I did that, I'd be in real trouble ;) 

• Haha 1

Just now, funkle said:

I approve this purchase, lol!!!

I’m still sad about selling one of my Celinders. However the other two still comfort me 😁

Enjoy the bass, they’re real crackers. 

Cheers - yes you're partly to blame for this! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LukeFRC said:

Despite having an awful website I saw this and should have thought of you - very much approve of your purchase. :) 
What do you have filling the P and MM of your holy trinity spots?

P = G&L SB1'91

MM = Stingray '83 

70s J = Atelier-Z / Celinder

The Musician only arrived today but I have in all honestly found 2 band rays to sound pretty consistent - this '83 is a birth year bass and will likely hold it's value well. Will post an NBD shortly!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Very nice! That's peak punchy jazz bass right there and at a reasonable price. The Bass Gallery are superb for decent deals on extremely nice basses. 

I had a Celinder J-Classic which was lovely but I really wanted one of the updates. Looking forward to your first impressions.

NB Is that the famous 'Scarbee' bass I wonder? 

10 minutes ago, Cairobill said:

Very nice! That's peak punchy jazz bass right there and at a reasonable price. The Bass Gallery are superb for decent deals on extremely nice basses. 

I had a Celinder J-Classic which was lovely but I really wanted one of the updates. Looking forward to your first impressions.

NB Is that the famous 'Scarbee' bass I wonder? 

Thanks - I think that one was earlier, it had a badass bridge and pickups with exposed poles. 

I love the fact that in the opening line of the first post you give the impression that you found this by pure chance in some obscure backwater of the internet :)

Lovely bass Ped, have to say that my ideal threesome would probably involve the Minogue sisters and not P/J/MM basses, but yours is probably more realistic :)

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, ped said:

I’ve been after a Celinder J-Update for a long time but never found one for sale. Earlier today I was just browsing some sites whilst I was waiting for something to download and I couldn’t quite believe that this was staring back at me from the Bass Gallery site. Got it bought immediately - I’ll figure out how to afford it later!  

1B7DE140-B04E-4F6F-AB26-0F0DFA43711D.jpeg

Is it coincidence that a new bass arrives the day after the Basschat straps locks invoices go out....?😉 Obviously not!

Edited by yorks5stringer
  • Haha 3

Just now, yorks5stringer said:

Is it coincidence that a new bass arrives the day after the Basschat straps locks invoices go out....?😉

I’d love to shift that many! Actually I’ve been fortunate with a couple of investments and the work on our garden was much less than I had saved up for. Happy days. Everything just worked out timing wise for once!

It was meant to have been collected on Thursday and delivered today - predictably that hasn’t been the case and TNT didnt collect at all. So the gallery have asked them to collect today for Saturday delivery - but the TNT app doesn’t show it as collected.

So that’s good