Why become a member? ×

NBD: We don't appear to have ANY threads on these

Cat Burrito

I've been listening to a lot of old 60s records recently & then went on to some post punk. An occasional instrument that kept cropping up was the baritone bass. Co-incidentally I am in the studio this week and a track has a melody in it that would really suit a baritone, so I picked this up new for £299. A definite shot in the dark as there are NO YouTube videos and no references that I could find on Basschat's search setting.

IMG_4723.thumb.jpg.84f71aa1203b6abf4853a80fcb9e2914.jpg

I was initially taken by the baby blue finish and the retro vibe. There's the  whole "is it a bass or is it a guitar" angle and to be fair with the 6 strings and tremolo, I could understand people (who probably haven't heard it) arguing for the later. However, the lower register is definitely the domain of the bass player (& I am not letting my guitarist play the melody line - other than ghosting my part, if he behaves and asks nicely!). 

Some of the frets feel a little rough but I can sort that (it's a £299 bass so I don't want to belittle some poor quality control) and it needs a set up. The NBD was actually yesterday but I must confess I can't stop playing it. I guess I would sum it up as the bass for the bassist that already has "too many" basses. No case or trimmings at that price but I think once I get a clear go at tidying it up, it'll be great. Looking forward to getting it down in the studio.

IMG_4728.thumb.jpg.8434fa0d95102e0f849651e7f10ca5f1.jpg

• Like 6

I saw a lefty in green at Anderton's and bought it.  Not a bad bass at all, me thinks.  Changed the strings for Newtone and it sounds and plays a lot better.  I've not been able to play it loud yet, and probably not in the foreseeable future, and the string spacing is taking some getting used to, but I'm liking it a lot!

• Like 2