Why become a member? ×

Passive Bass Guitar Potentiometers ?

Triumph_Rock

Hi guys,

I'm putting together a plan to upgrade my bass guitar. I have a Westfield EB3. I read an article on Premier Guitar, about modding passive electric guitars, for better tone adjustability. Pretty much the article states that modern pots, have a 80/20 taper? That old pots from the 50's and 60's had tapers of 70:30, 60:40, and 65:35. Unfortunately Hamer that made the audio taper pots with 65:35 are out of business. Centralab pots from the 50's or 60's had a taper of 70:30 or 60:30. 

I have found a modern reproductions of the old Centralabs from the 50's and 60's. My question is, does anybody know where I might still find Hamer audio taper 65:35 pots?

Also does anybody know of an article for figuring out if my Westfield is wired parallel or series? 

IMG_20201003_165021[1].jpg

21 minutes ago, itu said:

According to the photo the pickups are connected in parallel. This is a very common way of doing it.

There have been many tapers around starting from linear and logarithmic. There still are others. Here are few curves:

http://www.alpha-products.com/cd_catalog/new_catalogs/Pots/tapers.htm

Thanks for the graphs, I guess if an audio taper pot is logarithmic, is 65:35, the bend/curve in the line isn't severe, so not to far off from linear? I guess a 50:50 pot if it exist is for all intent and purposes linear? Or have I missed the point? Trying to learn, so I make an informed choice.

18 hours ago, Triumph_Rock said:

Thanks for the graphs, I guess if an audio taper pot is logarithmic, is 65:35, the bend/curve in the line isn't severe, so not to far off from linear? I guess a 50:50 pot if it exist is for all intent and purposes linear? Or have I missed the point? Trying to learn, so I make an informed choice.

IIRC most 'log' pots really just have the track with a different total resistance for each half to approximate a log response. So for simplicity I'll assume a 100K pot.

A 50:50 pot would be 50K at mid point i.e. the same as linear.

80:20 would be 20K at the mid point.

60:40 would be 40k at mid point.

The modern higher ration gives more sensitivity at the start (anticlockwise) while the older pots would be comparatively sensitive at the high end.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...