Why become a member? ×

Steinberg UR44C Audio Interface - thoughts/experiences?

TomasFlats

I’m looking for a new Audio Interface and, for a variety of reasons, am looking for something with 4 inputs. The new Steinberg ticks all the boxes, has USB 3.0 and is a reasonable price.

I’ve no experience of Steinberg products so I’d welcome any first-hand feedback on reliability, performance, etc., especially compared to the ubiquitous Focusrite Scarlett

Steinberg as a company have never been a hardware manufacturer until they were bought by Yamaha, so when it comes to soundcards read 'Yamaha' for 'Steinberg'. Which is not a bad thing as Yamaha have had excellent build quality on their pro-audio products over the years, even if the aesthetics sometimes look a bit old fashioned compared to others.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can't speak of the 44, but I started with a UR12, then moved to a UR22, so we could do bass and electronic drums together at home. I really like the Yamaha pre they use, to the extent that often for jamming I'll forego the Helix or an external preamp, and I'll add anything I want afterwards in Cubase. The bass just sounds really 'real' if that makes any sense. In terms of anything else I don't really know what to say, it just works. I guess the fact that I don't really notice anything is a good thing.... I play, the interface erm, interfaces, the computer records.... Job done!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have the UR22 as well, which I use with Nuendo, so I echo what 'NickD' said in the post above. I've had it for quite a while with zero problems.

However, I'm actually eyeing up the UR22C and will probably buy one pretty soon. All their hardware is pretty much updated straight away if there are any problems

with Windows updates. So no problems with that side of it.

For Bass & Guitars, I don't even use 3rd party DI's or preamps these days, they sound nice and clean straight through the UR22 preamp(s).

5 Pin MIDI Din I/O as well, so saving on USB ports.

My current UR22 is very stable and pop/click free with low latency settings for tracking.

And as far as the reviews I have read, it's pretty much the same score with the UR C series regarding good performance.

Edited by lowdown
  • Thanks 1

Got the UR44C today and although I’ve not had chance to try it properly, I’ve got it hooked up and checked that it’s working and first impressions are very good.

Build quality seems excellent, it all worked pretty much straight out the box and the software seems useful and usable.

My only minor gripe is that it’s not immediately apparent how you check for the firmware version to see if it needs updating (it didn’t) but everything else looks good.

I’ll be giving it a proper try out over the weekend and I’ll try to do an A/B comparison with my old (Zoom) interface.

• Like 1

Is it still Cubase AI they ship with it? I found it great for my purposes and used it for a couple of years before they sent me an offer I couldn't refuse to upgrade to Cubase Elements. I'm still not sure what the benefits are as the old version was always enough anyway. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NickD said:

Is it still Cubase AI they ship with it? I found it great for my purposes and used it for a couple of years before they sent me an offer I couldn't refuse to upgrade to Cubase Elements. I'm still not sure what the benefits are as the old version was always enough anyway. 

They do, along with Cubasis which, I think, is the iPad version.

Theres also some mixer software, including an iPad version which I haven’t fully investigated yet but which looks like it might be handy and opens up the possibility of using the UR44C and iPad as a live digital mixer for the band rather than the massive great Yamaha desk we currently lug around. I haven’t investigated yet but it could be useful. 

I use Logic and I’m pretty happy with it so the Cubase AI isn’t that much use to me but for anyone without a DAW it’s a handy extra and looks very well featured

• Like 1