Why become a member? ×

Ibanez ATK200 ? Opinions?

barrycreed

The 200 isn't shorter, but it is more compact: the body is narrower than that of a 300 (which is huge) and will therefore also be slightly lighter in weight. What's more, it doesn't have the classic triple coil ATK humbucker, but instead has a quadcoil humbucker with different switching from the regular ATK models (on the ATK300 there is a single coil setting with a phantom coil to reduce hum, the ATK200 is always full-humbucking). On the plus side, the pickup of the ATK200 has regular MM dimensions and can be easily replaced by any type of Music Man-like pickup, making it much easier to mod than the other ATK's. 

I had an ATK200, sounded great. Absolutely nailed the Stingray sound but had 2 extra tones in the pocket too with the selector switch (neck solo was particularly good).

Agree with the above that it was heavy, but not excessively so. I would possibly have kept it if it wasn't brown.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Machines said:

I had an ATK200, sounded great. Absolutely nailed the Stingray sound but had 2 extra tones in the pocket too with the selector switch (neck solo was particularly good).

Agree with the above that it was heavy, but not excessively so. I would possibly have kept it if it wasn't brown.

Interesting! I’m tyre kicking one of these used v a sterling brand stingray...

I've owned what is the lightest and skinniest necked ATK I've ever put my hands on, a 2001 MIK ATK-405 (5 string, with extra jazz style pickup in the neck position). Body was mahogany and weight was under 4kg. Neck thickness (front to back) was slightly over 20mm at fret 1, and that's almost SDGR thin (also, I'm a Stingray5 guy and those are 20mm@fret 1). Had owned a MII ATK-305 years before that and it was heavy and neck was not bad, but chunkier as all other ATKs I've played (MANY). The tone variety is also interesting in this one. These can be had for less than 400€ 'round here (Spain), if and when one appears in the used market (haven't seen any show up for the last couple of years here).

Edited by andruca

23 hours ago, barrycreed said:

@andruca I'm in Granada so will keep an eye on the classifieds. All the nice stuff seems to be in Madrid and Barcelona. :)

I got it from a guy in Mallorca IIRC, back in late 2017. If you're looking for a 4 string there's a 400 in Torrevieja, Alicante, right now (gorgeous BTW, includes a case, great price).

https://www.milanuncios.com/bajos/bajo-electrico-4-cuerdas-ibanez-atk-400-348637486.htm

Edited by andruca
  • Like 1