Why become a member? ×

Best Strings For A Short Scale Bass?

thebrig

On 22/10/2020 at 09:49, Baloney Balderdash said:

Tension does not equal stiffness, tension influences on stiffness, yes, but so does scale length, hence, as I said in my initial post, it's a question of finding the right balance between those factors, respectively being the relation between scale length/string gauge and stiffness/tension. 

I thnk this is what you're talking about ... Human Perception of String Tension and Compliance in Stringed Musical Instruments

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EssentialTension said:

Yes, exactly.

The relation between scale length and a perceived tension (aka stiffness) is easy to understand intuitively though without much explanation, just think of a wooden stick laid out between two raised points (sort of like a simple bridge (not a string bridge but an actual bridge)), the longer the distance between the two points the stick rest on are the less force it will require to bend the stick on the middle (the less stiff it will be), which of course applies in reverse too, the closer the distance between the stick's two resting points are the harder it will be to bend (the stiffer it will be). 

In terms of strings on an instrument this translates to not only how easy a string will be to actually bend but also how much force is required to fret it, and just in general the overall perceived tension, which equals the actual physical stiffness, of the string (the two raised points here of course being respectively the nut and the bridge saddle, and the stick the string in question).

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

Another thumbs up here for Newtone strings I have them fitted to all my short scale basses. Solely use their Platinum type, both round and hexagonal cores , in 50/70/90/110 gauge.

The hex cores are slightly brighter and fractionally stiffer.

• Like 1

On 20/10/2020 at 23:21, pete.young said:

I have Status half-wound on my Duesenberg, which seems like a good compromise between thump and definition.

agree with pete, I have D'Addario half rounds on a 34" fender p and it's my go to bass for live work.

Like pete said, you can go thumpy with a turn of the tone knob, or grindy roundwound tone by turning it up 

Edited by bazzbass

19 hours ago, bazzbass said:

agree with pete, I have D'Addario half rounds on a 34" fender p and it's my go to bass for live work.

Like pete said, you can go thumpy with a turn of the tone knob, or grindy roundwound tone by turning it up 

D'addario half rounds are my go to 34" string. I put a set of their short scale half rounds on my Longhorn (30") and they feel the same. I've also got LaBella flats on my Hofner Club. I'd say both of these strings are on the stiffer end of the scale and certainly don't feel at all floppy. I like a good stiff string too. 

This is a good page on SS strings on Scott Whitley's website. 

https://www.shortscalebass.co.uk/short-scale-string-choice/

Well, the Status flats and half rounds arrived today,  10 days after being posted first class letter post. I  put the half rounds on. Initial impressions are pretty good,  the feel is very close to flats. They are smoother than I remember half rounds being but that may have been 40 years ago. Sound is flatwound ish with a bit of zing easily tamed with tone pot. Not sure if the zing will persist or die off like rounds.  Looks like they could be quite versatile. Haven't played loud yet but I feel they might growl nicely. 

Edited by MoonBassAlpha