Why become a member? ×

Decent video editing software for Windows

Happy Jack

4 hours ago, OldG said:

Reaper is a great place to start with video... 

Ah yes, I'd forgotten about that. I'm still using Reaper 5 (Audio only...), and hadn't notices the video section when I briefly trialed Reaper 6. I'll have a closer look; it may be the simple solution for me, as Reaper is my 'go-to' DAW. I had a couple of issues with Reaper 6 at its arrival, but I'll give it another go... Thanks for the 'heads up'. :i-m_so_happy:

Edited by Dad3353

OK, after a couple of minutes, to find the appropriate new menu entries, I'll be adopting this from now on, as it does exactly what I want in just about exactly the way I want, and that I'm used to. Nothing too 'Spielberg', just basic fades and cross-fades. As a bonus, it works on the basis of the Reaper tempo and time signature, so compositions can be exactly synced, to have changes at every fourth bar, for instance. For the moment it's only evaluation (my v5 license isn't sufficient...), so there's a few seconds of 'nag' screen at each load-up, but I'll most likely acquire a full license as soon as my finances permit. $60 is fine by me, and I can use it fully until then. Altogether a Good Call; thanks. :hi: 

On 20/10/2020 at 18:04, Nail Soup said:

Watching with interest.

I normally make a song in a DAW, and then want to make a video for it.

Is there any video editing tool which is 'sympathetic' to how music worksformat..... I'm thinking of something a bit like a DAW maybe,  which recognizes that the song has beats, bars and sections and you can move an image or clip to 'snap to grid' to matched to beginning of bar etc?  like a DAW does?

Great posts so far bass chatters!

sounds like Reaper would fit my brief, and it sounds like you can have the audio in a DAW format (i.e grid lines per bar) and have the video clip changes snap onto the bars of music.

So, follow on question.... if I record my song in another DAW and move it to Reaper for the video stage, can I make the reaper grid lines be on my music's bars?

54 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

...can I make the reaper grid lines be on my music's bars?

In Reaper, create a new project. Enter the tempo and time signature, then import the audio track(s...) from the other DAW. In a new track, tell Reaper to use the Video Processor (in Fx...) and import the video track(s...) and edit away. The Reaper grid will reflect the tempo/time signature, which can be 'snapped' to. B|

Edited by Dad3353
  • Thanks 1

... and I've just discovered that my Reaper 5 has been able to do video for yonks..! Why have I been messing about with other packages, when this does all I need, and with ease..? I'll wait before moving to Reaper 6 now, and dispense with the 'nag' screen..! :lol:

I downloaded Davinci a couple of days ago, nothing to do with this thread, the other guys wanted to do a video and I offered to have a punt at editing.

Ahead of the the project itself, I just pulled in some short videos shot on a variety of phones and cameras.

I'm struggling to actually keep the program open!  It crashes constantly.

1 hour ago, NancyJohnson said:

I downloaded Davinci a couple of days ago, nothing to do with this thread, the other guys wanted to do a video and I offered to have a punt at editing.

Ahead of the the project itself, I just pulled in some short videos shot on a variety of phones and cameras.

I'm struggling to actually keep the program open!  It crashes constantly.

Check you have the latest driver for your grphics card .
If nviidia use the Studio driver as opposed to the Game Ready driver .

Just in case you're a semi-obsolete dinosaur with no real understanding of video technology, who has been tempted to experiment with video editing software (such as Reaper) by this thread, do make sure before you start that you are running a 64-bit version of Windows AND you have downloaded the latest 64-bit version of VLC (go to www.videolan.org ).

Shouting & swearing at a blank screen that isn't doing any of the stuff they show it doing in the tutorial videos is not good for the soul.

Don't ask me how I know.

• Haha 2

On 21/10/2020 at 14:18, Happy Jack said:

I'm looking at buying a tower PC optimised for video editing.

I have just done this, as we now are doing a lot if video editing for church and my 11 year old PC died. Custom build from Scan. £1300 was the compromise between cost and performance for me. I can link to the specs if you want.

Some observations, based on 5 people times 30 weeks regular production of mainly talking heads but also multicam bands.

DaVinci is fabulous, but it needs decent hardware to run without crashing. That means a proper GPU, optimised throughput for disk,  memory, cpu etc. The multicam auto sync does not work for band music unless all the cameras have really good sound. Which they won't have.

Shotcut is well liked by our team and runs much better on average hardware. Lightworks will do almost anything and I like it, but it doesn't hold your hand and the free version only exports 720p. As I have the hardware I moved to DaVinci as it is quicker to use. 

You must prepare for a band video in advance. A clear, loud, visible, clapper board or stick count is essential. Lining up manually is by far the best way. If you can set the frame rate of the cameras at the start do so, if not then don't worry, but fix the project rate and let the software adjust the incoming. Lightworks is crap at this unless you tell it mixed frame rate at the start. 

Get a rough audio mix and any cutting done first, using whatever you want, then add the video to that. You can remix the audio, but if the length changes you have to juggle the video which is a pain.

Whatever software you choose, watch the company's training videos. Then watch them again and do the practice or training examples! 

Enjoy yourself 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Richard R said:

Custom build from Scan. £1300 was the compromise between cost and performance for me. I can link to the specs if you want.

That would be very helpful, Richard, even if that turns out not to be the exact system I go for.

IT prices and capability change so fast that your spec can only be 'a moment in time' but it would serve as a sensible benchmark for me (and everyone else).

https://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/shared/f9e9d3eb-155c-43e2-8e04-ac5846d939ec?utm_source=3xsconfigshare&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=copypaste

The link above doesn't have exactly the same part numbers as mine - as @Happy Jack says, specs change quite quickly!  The machine was specified as a music production PC first and foremost, so low latency throughout rather than brute force processing power. The graphics card was a compromise as I couldn't really justify an 8GB card.

PC Spec.PNG

• Thanks 2

Compromise on cost. The budget was £1200, and 16GB is more than enough for audio, and easy to upgrade later on. Intel chip - again because the machine was specced for audio and so low latency and real time performance is more important than horsepower. 

Best advice is to talk to Pete at Scan. We swapped several emails about specs, what recording I do and intend to, what audio interface I have and so on, so we got the best bang per buck for what I need. If the focus is pure video then other components may be better.

But it's quick, very quiet, and runs DaVinci without a problem. Happy bunny here 😁

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Richard R said:

https://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/shared/f9e9d3eb-155c-43e2-8e04-ac5846d939ec?utm_source=3xsconfigshare&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=copypaste

The link above doesn't have exactly the same part numbers as mine - as @Happy Jack says, specs change quite quickly!  The machine was specified as a music production PC first and foremost, so low latency throughout rather than brute force processing power. The graphics card was a compromise as I couldn't really justify an 8GB card.

PC Spec.PNG

I would have responded to that quote with "I'll have everything, please, except the EZ490."

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

Only 16GB RAM?

Plenty enough for HD video. 32GB minimum recommended spec for 4K. To be fair, looks like an OK spec for the money. Like everything in this sort of department, everybody is going to have an opinion on what is the right spec for your money.

I've been running 18-track (and more) 48khz/24bit sessions on a £130 reconditioned laptop. I've not had any problems with latency but tend to bypass effects and mute non-critical parts if we're overdubbing something.

But I have to say that I absolutely hate spending money on computers (and cars) - I can physically feel the depreciation on the journey home 😪

4 minutes ago, Dankology said:

I have to say that I absolutely hate spending money on computers (and cars) - I can physically feel the depreciation on the journey home 😪

Agree wholeheartedly. But my approach is buy the best I can at the time and sweat the asset. The warranty on the last PC ran out in 2009*, and the car was bought in 2010 and I intend to take it round the clock sometime in 2021/22.

*I did put a couple of second hand SSDs in it in about 2017 though. 

1 hour ago, Richard R said:

Agree wholeheartedly. But my approach is buy the best I can at the time and sweat the asset. The warranty on the last PC ran out in 2009*, and the car was bought in 2010 and I intend to take it round the clock sometime in 2021/22.

*I did put a couple of second hand SSDs in it in about 2017 though. 

I love SSDs - I can't believe the difference they make. I must say that I've been tempted by a new bespoke PC a couple of times but never quite pulled the trigger.

(Pythonesque Yorkshireman accent): I still own my first car: bought in 2001, made in 1973 - although I can't pretend I'm holding on to it for reasons of economy 😆