Why become a member? ×

Decent video editing software for Windows

Happy Jack

7 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

I just bought something similar. Genuine case of "how on Earth can they possibly supply so much kit, and of such high quality, for so little money?".

It's not (yet) perfect. I'm struggling with controlling the gain on the on-board mic, and battery life is only about two hours ... but then it comes with two batteries!

Yes - the audio from those cheap copies is dreadful - I've never known it to be usable - however, somehow the software can still use it to sync to an audio track (like from a little tascam digital recorder) - and there you go!  Good sound quality from a £23 camera!  If you ever get a "proper" go-pro, the audio can be pretty decent - it's got quite a decent sort of compression to it.  The audio on this one is all just from a single go-pro....and the edits are all from the one camera (back in the day!)  

Edited by Phil C
typo

40 minutes ago, Phil C said:

Hi chaps.  Just seen this topic - and I'm probably a bit late to the table.  I've been making all of my videos using Sony Cyberlink Power Director.  I think I paid about £45 to it.  For gigs we normally use 4 or 5 "gopro" style cameras, and maybe a roving camcorder.  For lockdown videos the band has just used reasonable quality mobile phones!  Whatever the case, the nice thing about the software is that if you use a Wav file for your audio track (off the mixing desk or whatever) then the software will usually sync the camera shot to the music (even if the camera has recorded a terribly loud distorted sound).  I've found it really useful and it speeds things up a lot. 

With regards computers, at the beginning of lockdown I treated myself to a 2nd hand PC from a company that specializes in stripping out offices etc.  I got a pc with 128gb of RAM, and dedicated graphics card with 4 monitor outputs, a 1TB SSD, and 1TB bog standard drive, along with two 22 inch monitors for £900.  It has made video editing a breeze! (well - a lot quicker anyway!).  It had some fancy quad core processor too.

Hope that's helpful.....

That's some great video you have there Phil, and yes that's very helpful.

Not so much that score on the office cleareance, mind. I've just spent a fair bit more than that on a far lower-spec'd PC! 

Reckon you did well there ...

:D

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

LINK! :D

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01KFTCCKQ/ref=dp_prsubs_1

Something like this!  Hope the link works - there's a silver one on that page too - which is for the bigger style mic stand thread. -

This one - https://www.amazon.co.uk/ChromLives-Adapter-Microphone-Screw1-Monitor/dp/B07F72NKT5/ref=psdc_1104576_t1_B01KFTCCKQ

Edited by Phil C
extra info
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Phil C said:

Yes - the audio from those cheap copies is dreadful - I've never known it to be usable - however, somehow the software can still use it to sync to an audio track (like from a little tascam digital recorder) - and there you go!  Good sound quality from a £23 camera!  If you ever get a "proper" go-pro, the audio can be pretty decent - it's got quite a decent sort of compression to it.  The audio on this one is all just from a single go-pro....and the edits are all from the one camera (back in the day!)  

Nah ... look what the camera has done to the guest singer's outfit! I bet he was really wearing a white t-shirt and a pair of jeans. ;)

• Haha 2

This is a great topic, I'm really enjoying everybody's videos, and seeing an improvement with every upload. I recorded this last week, on Reaper and edited again in Reaper, it's become my go to DAW and Video editor, I've ditched garageband and daVinci resolve, Reaper is so much quicker, uses less resources and sync'ing is a piece of p1ss. Thanks to happy jack for making me think about transitions and Dad3353 for taking mixing and mastering a bit more seriously. Keep it up good people, I'm watching every submission and learning so much :)

https://fb.watch/1ZfcGLgF8O/

Edited by skidder652003
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, skidder652003 said:

Thanks to happy jack for making me think about transitions ...

And I tried using DrumCam on Sunday ... OK, so that's a much harder trick to pull off than you make it seem!

Getting the position right (distance, height and angle) turned out to far more complicated than I ever imagined. 9_9

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, owen said:

Filming Bods!!!!!

What do I use to mount a DJI Osmo 2 to a tripod stand. I know Google should tell me, but I cannot find it :(

If your thread is 1/4” you are good to go. Otherwise you’ll need a 3/8” to 1/4” adapter.

Ive got an assortment of k&m mounts... which are always useful for clamping onto things 

Edited by EBS_freak

@EBS_freak enjoyed all those videos. Some questions. Were they all static cameras or was someone holding at least one? The wedding video looked like there was someone in the crowd at the very end. All the transitions were hard, was that intentional? Do you have a strict(ish) amount of max time on each shot before you cut? Somebody once told me 6 seconds but I could have imagined that! And lastly how did you record the audio? They were all of an excellent standard by the way :)

Static cameras. I have a few tricks in post to give it a more organic look. As for roving cameras - tricked you... what you see in the audience didn’t necessarily happen at that precise moment in time. That’s the beauty of having additional clips available to you in the edit.

Transitions are intentionally hard... as you would see on the TV. It’s very rare to see cheesy transitions in a professional production, with the exception of a cross fade.

No hard 6 second rule. This is where your artistic eye has to come into play. Change as appropriate to fit the action and music.

Audio - whatever you can get. Desk. Ambient. Onboard camera. Time align in DAW and process to the best of your ability. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

... this was in the darkest corner of a city centre bar. Two LED lights providing some help!

Some great vids there Russ.

We re-did the lighting in my studio a couple of months ago. I originally had two rather high-glare LED lightbars installed, but I couldn't cope with them after my eye operations so I had them replaced with loads of mini-spots on bars.

We got the electrician to salvage one of the lightbars, attach a 10-metre power cable and a 13A plug ... instant white light for all occasions. Just a PITA to transport.

12 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Ah now, the proverbial elephant in the room. 

I hesitate to mention it, but I'd suggest encouraging the sound engineer to go for a tiddle while you do the filming next time - or at least ask him to try not to look like he is falling asleep 🙂

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Some great vids there Russ.

We re-did the lighting in my studio a couple of months ago. I originally had two rather high-glare LED lightbars installed, but I couldn't cope with them after my eye operations so I had them replaced with loads of mini-spots on bars.

We got the electrician to salvage one of the lightbars, attach a 10-metre power cable and a 13A plug ... instant white light for all occasions. Just a PITA to transport.

You want diffused lights anyway (if you are looking for smooth shadows) like the 3rd clip.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

We've got those too, as softboxes, but we obviously could never set them up, in addition to the normal coloured lights etc., at the Dog And Duck. But we can try... :D

Softboxes are too big as you say. These LED panels are the size of a page of A4.

• 2 years later...

Sorry for bumping into an old conversation. It's great to see you looking to up your video editing game! For your needs, check out some user-friendly video editing software like Filmora or Adobe Premiere Elements. Both offer editing tools like cut and paste, fade in/out, and transition effects. My friend from vidpros.com says these apps are good for newbies. Good luck!

Edited by Molelaner

On 19/04/2023 at 16:49, monumadha said:

Hey! I wonder how it goes.

From what I remember, it goes something like this:

1.2.3. You put your left arm in
Your left arm out
In, out, in, out
You shake it all about
You do the hokey cokey
And you turn around
That's what it's all about

Woah-oh, the hokey cokey