Why become a member? ×

Decent video editing software for Windows

Happy Jack

2 hours ago, Dankology said:

I've been running 18-track (and more) 48khz/24bit sessions on a £130 reconditioned laptop. I've not had any problems with latency but tend to bypass effects and mute non-critical parts if we're overdubbing something.

But I have to say that I absolutely hate spending money on computers (and cars) - I can physically feel the depreciation on the journey home 😪

Now try and do video.

1 hour ago, Happy Jack said:

Well I'm out on the road and my car's brand new

Least it was when I bought it in '72

From a guy who'd had it since '54

And he thought it was new but he couldn't be sure

But it looks new

From a distance

Everybody's got to be a hero sometimes. 😉

I never really cared too much about specs until I really started pushing the boundaries of what I was doing audio wise... and particularly video wise.

Interestingly enough, just done a pores render out of my 2014 MacBook 2.8Gz i5 8GB vs my 2019 iMac 3.6Ghz 128GB Ram (with Vega 48 GPU) to see the kind of difference.

Macbook - Render took 1 hr 12s. On the iMac, 3min 48s.

No waiting around I guess! This is the other thing with video, it takes a lot less time to realise that you've f**ked something up. As they say though, I have paid for the privilege. 

Well I'm out on the road and my car's brand new

Least it was when I bought it in '72

From a guy who'd had it since '54

And he thought it was new but he couldn't be sure

But it looks new

From a distance

Complete restoration. The VIN badge is original... that's about it. As long as you have the plate and the paperwork, rebuild away!

15 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Now try and do video.

I do. Not 4k but up to 6 cameras worth of 1080p 24fps on a much older machine and manage quite nicely.

Again, I forego things like effects and colour correction while doing the actual editing and the rendering can be slow but that's why I use that machine - when I'm ready to render I just set it going and the kids can continue streaming and gaming on the less arthritic laptops.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Dankology said:

I do. Not 4k but up to 6 cameras worth of 1080p 24fps on a much older machine and manage quite nicely.

Again, I forego things like effects and colour correction while doing the actual editing and the rendering can be slow but that's why I use that machine - when I'm ready to render I just set it going and the kids can continue streaming and gaming on the less arthritic laptops.

same here, running a £50 pc (off gumtree) with RAM of 8GB, windows 10 and god-knows what else and it works fine for my needs, 3 or 4 cameras at 1080 24fps. Yeah the render takes a while, but I go and make a cup of tea.

• Like 1

My i5 PC, 12Mb ram does my video and audio editing quite easily enough for posting to Youtube. Bought refurbished, it cost £200 or so. I also do 3D animations, some of which take up to 48 hrs to render, but it's the graphics card that handles the CUDA calculations, and my small form factor HP8200 won't accept a more powerful one (G-Force GT710...), nor will my budget..! OK for those with deep pockets, or professional needs; it's not the case for us all.
Just sayin'. :|

Edited by Dad3353

33 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

My i5 PC, 12Mb ram does my video and audio editing quite easily enough for posting to Youtube. Bought refurbished, it cost £200 or so. I also do 3D animations, some of which take up to 48 hrs to render, but it's the graphics card that handles the CUDA calculations, and my small form factor HP8200 won't accept a more powerful one (G-Force GT710...), nor will my budget..! OK for those with deep pockets, or professional needs; it's not the case for us all.
Just sayin'. :|

Totally, I guess I was looking at it through my eyes and my requirements.

I guess like everything, it's how much you are prepared to spend and how long you have to wait around for rendering. In short, it's the editing experience which is key... if you can edit smoothly, you are good to go. You can always make use of proxies if you need to help your computer out... and then drop in the full res files at render time and leave it over night. 

• Like 2

I think we've all become complacent about the power of modern technology.

In the mid 90s I was doing quite a bit of (static) 3D work. It was not uncommon for render times for a single image that was suitable to be printed on an A3 poster to be measured in days - and that's if the computer didn't crash mid-way through the process. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

In the mid 90s I was doing quite a bit of (static) 3D work. It was not uncommon for render times for a single image that was suitable to be printed on an A3 poster to be measured in days - and that's if the computer didn't crash mid-way through the process. 

I first started playing with rendering on my Amiga on Vista. The sort of thing that would take 60+ hours to render out 600 frames. Ha ha. Looking back, the output was probably not worth the investment!

Oh and that half flashing LED power light would make your heart sink.

Edited by EBS_freak

There is a new version of Reaper (6.15) as of today.

Rather wonderfully, it informs me that:

REAPER has experimental native support for Linux, and the Windows version works well with WINE.

Not being a great wine drinker these days, I'm experimenting with IPA instead.

• Haha 3

There is a new version of Reaper (6.15) as of today.

Rather wonderfully, it informs me that:

REAPER has experimental native support for Linux, and the Windows version works well with WINE.

Not being a great wine drinker these days, I'm experimenting with IPA instead.

https://www.nexuswines.com/our-wines/reaper/

They even do VST's! 

https://www.sonomawireworks.com/pr/announcing-sonoma-7.php

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonoma_County_wine

Edited by skidder652003

3 hours ago, BigRedX said:

... It was not uncommon for render times for a single image that was suitable to be printed on an A3 poster to be measured in days...

When I finally graduated up to an Atari colour screen, I did some POV images. A popular model was the Caterpillar (a series of coloured balls in line, really...). I slavishly typed in the coding, and set it off overnight. The following evening, it was supposed to be ready. OK for the Big Moment, I hit the space bar, and there it was..., in brilliant multi-colour on the screen... for half a second. In my precipitation I had neglected to firstly press the key combination to save the image; it was gone forever. :facepalm:
I didn't have the heart to type it up and run it again; I went back to my monochrome screen and 68K programming. :(

:lol:

8 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Me too- mainly arcviz stills and animations. We had a wee render farm of half a dozen high spec (for the time) PCs and they would all have to run overnight to provide a 30 second clip at the huge TV resolution of 768*576! Usually when you came in in the morning and checked it, you would have forgotten to switch some object on for the render and it would all have to be done over again- how we laughed!

4 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

When I finally graduated up to an Atari colour screen, I did some POV images. A popular model was the Caterpillar (a series of coloured balls in line, really...). I slavishly typed in the coding, and set it off overnight. The following evening, it was supposed to be ready. OK for the Big Moment, I hit the space bar, and there it was..., in brilliant multi-colour on the screen... for half a second. In my precipitation I had neglected to firstly press the key combination to save the image; it was gone forever. :facepalm:
I didn't have the heart to type it up and run it again; I went back to my monochrome screen and 68K programming. :(

:lol:

Oh god- POV! I had totally forgotten that horror story. Now I'm having flashbacks!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, EMG456 said:

... flashbacks!

This, too, brings back memories, as I assisted in an aborted project to port 'Flashback' from the Megadrive to the Atari (both 68K proc's...). With a colleague, many of the sprites were transcoded (the famous 'rouli-bouli', the vine swinging and more...), but the Editor abandoned the portage, and Atari sunk shortly after (just about Falcon time...). Happy daze. B| 

• 2 weeks later...

So here we are, 10 days later.

I now have a new PC with a spec broadly similar to that mentioned many pages ago, and a paid-up version of Reaper 6.0.

I've barely left my study (also known as 'the upstairs landing') for the past week, I ache all over, my beer consumption has soared, and I'm going cross-eyed.

But I have now edited video.

Feel free to share my joy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1