Why become a member? ×

Decent video editing software for Windows

Happy Jack

If you want free, Openshot is simple to use, but make sure you adjust the memory management options to use lots of your computer's resources!

Also, Ulead Video studio which used to be bundled free with lots of webcams is slightly more complex and lets you do much more with sound.

Whatever you get, Handbrake is a free program for switching video formats between any imaginable options.

Advice - try not to get huge whole-set videos. If you use 5-10 minute videos you will have fewer crashes. Whatever software you have, save the project regularly in case it freezes.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Mission Creep has now set in.

I'm looking at buying a tower PC optimised for video editing.

I bloody knew this would happen.

Ha ha.

GPU GPU GPU lots of GPU

Thing with video, it's like photography - but much, much, much, more expensive.

More CPU, GPU, GPU, GPU lots of GPU, RAM (and lots of that too), super fast SSDs (especially for lots of videos on your timeline)... and then storage, hell, all the storage!

Basically think of a computer with no scrimping on any components - and you're there.

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 1

I've used Animotica for youtube vlogging.  It's OK but the user interface is not as refined as it could be for some tasks, there's quite a bit of switching between screens for adding extra features.  And synching hits in the music with video events is usually a PITA.  But if you're interested...

• Like 1

To be honest though, trying to do anything on kit that isn't up to it, as a learner, is going to make you throw the towel in.

It's liking learning bass (well, historically anyway) - those cheaper, crap playing basses were actually holding up your learning... you only realise that after the event (assuming you didn't give up before hand)

4 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

To be honest though, trying to do anything on kit that isn't up to it, as a learner, is going to make you throw the towel in.

That's sort of my point, when I rejected the crippled version of Premiere (now uninstalled from my machine). It will all depend on how much money we choose to throw at this particular exercise.

2 hours ago, Graham56 said:

...and then the band will break up anyway! 😂

We're dealing with so many bands here, that if one did break up, the others would make up for its disappearance!

1 hour ago, EBS_freak said:

Indeed - where are these gigs that you are videoing?!

In Tier 1 areas. Always do tier 1 areas. 😉

• Haha 1

It's funny that folks have problems syncing...

In the Olden Days when I was at BBC Sound we used to have this amazing technical system involving a bit of flat wood hinged to another bit of flat wood. At the beginning of a take someone would bash these 2 bits of wood together, in shot. The resulting frame would be married to the corresponding spike in sound and sync was achieved! Occasionally somebody would forget this clever contraption, so they'd just make do with a handclap...

PRODPIC-1563.jpg

And in these days of digital recording, speeds don't drift - unless you've put the sound into a DAW and autowarped it to the wrong bpm!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

It's funny that folks have problems syncing...

In the Olden Days when I was at BBC Sound we used to have this amazing technical system involving a bit of flat wood hinged to another bit of flat wood. At the beginning of a take someone would bash these 2 bits of wood together, in shot. The resulting frame would be married to the corresponding spike in sound and sync was achieved! Occasionally somebody would forget this clever contraption, so they'd just make do with a handclap...

PRODPIC-1563.jpg

And in these days of digital recording, speeds don't drift - unless you've put the sound into a DAW and autowarped it to the wrong bpm!

Only if you've got everything locked to an external clock... 

In truth, the speed of a particular recording doesn't drift but the sync between two definitely will, for the reasons I gave above.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dankology said:

reasons

But luckily drift is quite minor... If you've got a set of 3 minute songs it's quite easy to slip the audio a few frames.

I've recently done some 1/2 hour sets with my band for various online benefits - I made sure our singer either tapped the mic or said something beginning with P before launching into a new song. Then it's a question of either smearing with audience noise or in our case (no audience!) guitar amp buzz to cover the hole.

It's nowhere near as much a problem as when a film camera and 1/4" recorder had wildly differing sync generators. We had to count how many frames it drifted by in a certain time, and vary the sync signal by that amount when transferring the audio rushes to 16mm...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

It's nowhere near as much a problem as when a film camera and 1/4" recorder had wildly differing sync generators. We had to count how many frames it drifted by in a certain time, and vary the sync signal by that amount when transferring the audio rushes to 16mm...

I certainly don't envy you that. The closest experience I have to that was trying to sync audio from a cassette to an analogue video recording. I think I gave up in the end 🙄