Why become a member? ×

Decent video editing software for Windows

Happy Jack

44 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Movie Studio Platinum - I think I'm still on version 11 on my ancient laptop but upgraded to v17 (at a generous £10 discount...) for my newer PC.

I'm actually in the middle of editing a shedload of two-camera gig footage at the moment - I'm happy to do a quick Whatsapp video call at some point with anyone who wants to see how it works for me.

Edited by Dankology
  • Like 1

OK, state of play so far is as follows:

- No, we're *not* getting a Mac, sorry again. (I used Macs a few years ago, when I did design work for a book publisher, on their machines. Lovely things, but I really couldn't see all the fuss, they worked as well or as badly as PCs - depending on the situation - and the software was practically identical.)

- @Happy Jack has a good PC but it runs on Win 7 (by choice; he may have to review that). He finally got DaVinci Resolve to open on the correct, functional module. We'll try and test it in the next few days.

- I downloaded Adobe Premiere 2021 free trial from my own Adobe account, and played around with it a bit. Read the Help, created a couple of Guided test files, and liked the way it works. The main problem is that I find video work intolerably dull! Synching video with an external audio source is doable, but so tedious. I much prefer working on photos, posters, banners and similar in Photoshop, bless it. I will probably end up buying the Premiere + Photoshop bundle just for the updated version of Photoshop... ;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

...it's clear that the software is more competent than I am, but it's equally clear that this is a P155-poor interface and already dangerously close to being uninstalled.

It's very true that it doesn't come with a big bucket of Patience, which, for my part, I'm already a little short on. Some Patience is essential with most programmes of any sort. It took me about half a day to get up and running with the Resolve concepts, and I'm still faster with VideoPad for basic cross-fading. It's like bathing in the sea, though: it's fine once you're in, but a bit of a shock until one takes the plunge. :friends:
No, I can't send you any spare Patience, most of mine is needed on a daily basis for monitoring Interweb Forums. ^_^

From https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=90190#11

Is there a version of Resolve for Windows 7 or 8?
We only test and certify Windows 10 for use with the latest versions of Resolve. We no longer test or certify Windows 7/8/8.1 for use with Resolve. You could run a legacy version of the software in a legacy configuration, but the latest version of DaVinci Resolve and DaVinci Resolve Studio is supported only on Windows 10.

Watching with interest.

I normally make a song in a DAW, and then want to make a video for it.

Is there any video editing tool which is 'sympathetic' to how music worksformat..... I'm thinking of something a bit like a DAW maybe,  which recognizes that the song has beats, bars and sections and you can move an image or clip to 'snap to grid' to matched to beginning of bar etc?  like a DAW does?

My experience of video editors is that they are built on the concept of a sequence of video frames, rather than being able to detect patterns of any kind.

It's the soundtrack (as a separate sequence of data contained in the video file) that could be analysed that way, assuming the video already had audio you want to replace. You would need an audio editing program for that, though.

I tried a ton recently. Try OpenShot if you like the simple interface of Windows Movie Maker.

KdenLive is a popular free one too.

Out of the cheapest paid options, I quite liked Filmora.

My laptop chugged when trying to play anything back in DaVinci Resolve whereas many of these simpler programs worked great.

• Like 1

Resolve managed to brick all my Arturia V-Collection instruments to the extent that I had to restore the complete machine from a backup. I liked the way it worked but found it to be a huge resource hog and quite flakey.

Instead I've been doing the band lockdown videos on Shotcut. Free, light on requirements and versatile. Regularly updated as well.

The vids are on a thread here so you can see some of what it can do. All footage mobile phones. Audio either DAW or Zoom H1 recorder assembled and mixed in Cubase before being brought into shotcut as a stereo mix.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

The main problem is that I find video work intolerably dull! Synching video with an external audio source is doable, but so tedious. 

Is there any ambient audio on the video clip? If so: highlight the video and audio > right-click > synchronise.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Is there any ambient audio on the video clip? If so: highlight the video and audio > right-click > synchronise.

Ooo, sounds interesting. We occasionally want to use a video of the band playing a song - audio and video are as recorded live by a DSLR - and replace the audio with a better recording of the same song (say, the audio from the desk). If I can do what you say, that'll be brilliant. I imagine, though, that I have to cut the live video to exactly the same length as the audio?

I use Camtasia for work occasionally. It’s fairly inexpensive and ok for my needs, not sure I’d wanna use it on a regular basis.

I had a quick look at EZ vid. It looked fairly similar to camtasia in terms of functionality.

Most people I know that make videos on a regular basis use Premier

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Ooo, sounds interesting. We occasionally want to use a video of the band playing a song - audio and video are as recorded live by a DSLR - and replace the audio with a better recording of the same song (say, the audio from the desk). If I can do what you say, that'll be brilliant. I imagine, though, that I have to cut the live video to exactly the same length as the audio?

No cutting necessary - it’ll just sync ‘em all up on your timeline and you can trim from there. 

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, EMG456 said:

...Shotcut. Free, light on requirements and versatile...

R91KekF.gif

I've just done a quick'n'dirty download and micro-test of this, and it's darned good. A couple of magnitudes faster than Resolve, and very much more lightweight in its approach. I managed to import, line up, chop around and overlay a few clips, with fades, in a few minutes whilst eating dinner. Thanks for the tip; it may well replace my other softs. 

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, alexa3020 said:

I use Camtasia for work occasionally. It’s fairly inexpensive and ok for my needs, not sure I’d wanna use it on a regular basis.

I had a quick look at EZ vid. It looked fairly similar to camtasia in terms of functionality.

Most people I know that make videos on a regular basis use Premier

Camtasia was my favourite to use from all the ones I tested, however that was mainly because I was looking to produce tutorial style videos with lots of screen recordings, which is its forte. It's pretty expensive though at £230, and it doesn't come with a great selection of assets (they get you to pay more for that on subscription) and it can't do outlines around text which I thought was a pretty basic omission!

I didn't realise Premiere Elements was only £86.56, I didn't try that one out mainly because I'd excluded Premiere from my shortlist due to not wanting to pay for an astronomical subscription fee, and forgot that Elements existed!

• Like 1

@wateroftyne, it didn't go well I'm afraid. You must have Premiere Pro rather than Elements I think?

I right-clicked on anything I could right-click on, and quite a lot of options came up, but Synchronise wasn't one of them. In Elements you apparently can't sync video and audio automatically, as it says here. :(

Edited by Silvia Bluejay

1 hour ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Got that Paul - unfortunately it's a major PITA for what we need to do, because the audio/video sync is again only manual. However, at least it's free.

With practise you'll soon be able to line tracks up very quickly.

All ours have the same cues at the start - I find that I can just zoom into the waveforms and match them visually. A quick check and maybe a nudge a frame or two sees it done. I thought it would be a big hassle but it really hasn't turned out to be. The last one I did I had four separate tracks lined up with the audio mix in literally about 5 minutes.

• Like 1

I’ve used Lightworks with some success. Yes it is tricky to get the hang of but once you figure it out it does everything you could ask for. Also, it’s free. Here’s a link if you want to check it out. I have no background at all in video editing, just figured stuff out from the tutorial videos and the forum.

https://www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_lwks&view=download&Itemid=206&tab=0 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EMG456 said:

With practise you'll soon be able to line tracks up very quickly...

I agree. If I can see a drum hit, and the waveform, it takes seconds. Often enough, a Youtube upload will turn out to be out of sync, but that's them, not us. It's not for nothing, though, that films are always shot with a clapboard, precisely for syncing the audio 'clap' with the visual. Not always possible for 'live', certainly, but, for me, a snare hit serves for that, if needs be. It really isn't an issue in the softs that I use; can't speak for any others. B|