Why become a member? ×

Anyone selling short scale necks in the UK?

soldersqueeze

I'm considering my first bass body build but I'm not yet ready to make a neck. Thing is, I mainly play short scale, and there seems to be a real lack of aftermarket 30/32" necks.

Right now my only option other than buying a whole bass and nicking the neck off it seems to be Warmoth, which would probably be slightly dearer than buying new 32 Ibanez Mezzo or other budget shorty/ medium scale.

Anyone know of another option out there? I can't imagine a luthier custom built neck coming in under the price of Warmoth, even with import fees.

I've just been through the same dilema but with medium and did exactly what you are thinking of doing - buy a warmoth and scalp the neck.  It doesn't feel right! Just note that if you do find a bronco neck they will be a different set of pocket dimensions from Warmoth who are very specific. Unless you're going for Warmoth it might be worth waiting on that side for the actual neck and measuring it up from there.  I thought about shimming a bronco neck into a warmoth neck pocket but that felt even wronger!

Retrovibe are selling medium scale necks on ebay if that is any help!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Retrovibe-bass-neck-32-medium-scale-20-fret-Maple-Blackwood/274205157501?hash=item3fd7e6a87d:g:pNwAAOSwQOpeHwt3

1 hour ago, BassApprentice said:

If you want a Fender headstock you are probably best looking out for Squier Broncos going cheap. I got one for £80 earlier this year and you aren't really going to get a neck for less than that. Bonus is you can recoup the cost by selling the body off etc. 

This will probs be my solution for a 30, as I love the bronco neck. It's close to my ideal profile.

21 minutes ago, bloke_zero said:

Retrovibe are selling medium scale necks on ebay if that is any help!

That is an enormous help! Just bought two of his last three :) I dont know how I missed these when looking through eBay....

22 minutes ago, bloke_zero said:

Oh and here is a squier short scale I found looking for that link:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Squire-Short-Scale-Bass-Neck/224195435789?hash=item343316dd0d:g:qL0AAOSwqvRffy-R

55mm neckpocket as opposed to the Warmoth which is 60mm

Hmmm... Not a bronco, as they're all maple. Maybe a Jag short scale? If so it's a very nice neck. 

• Like 1