Why become a member? ×

Why so many short scale basses at the moment?

Greg Edwards69

1 hour ago, MHMSWC#03 said:

I had my eye on a short scale Squier last year but I decided against it because it just didn't feel like the real deal ... 

I tried to buy one but it turned out that they hadn't started producing them yet, so I cancelled the order. Now I have one in my basket online. It has been there a few days now... :)

12 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Yeh - i leave it a while, I get really keen and then go off the idea, but this seems to be holding. But I have had 4 short scales and currently don't have any, so I am not sure if I need them or not!

Much simpler for me.  Short-scale is my only real option nowadays if I want to keep gigging.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scrumpymike said:

Much simpler for me.  Short-scale is my only real option nowadays if I want to keep gigging.

I certainly like the idea, but then as most short scales are 4 string I end up not being able to gig it, as I don't have time to swap (as the guitarist is oblivious to everything on stage that isn't him). And the 5 I had, the messinger just didn't sound right (looked great though!).

Of course the new ibanez 32" look interesting but not sure if it is enough difference from my srs, and I would love the new Ibanez short scales but they are not squier prices!

My fretless is 31.5” and is much easier on the hands than a 34”, my fretted bass is 30” and I hardly notice the difference those two. I do miss playing a 5, but for me the issue was the width of the neck. However with the state of my hands now, shortscale definitely rules.

I think I'm falling down the SS-bass rabbit hole - convinced myself I need a smaller bass at the side of my home-working desk, for cheeky daytime noodling. 

On the Mustangs; I quite fancy the squier VM but am seeing specs saying it's a 38mm nut. Is it just the fender JMJ that has the 42mm but? 

My main bass is is 44.5mm "soft-v" neck so quite chunky and I'd rather not drop down to a teeny-tiny neck...

6 hours ago, ezbass said:

@Lw. The Vintera neck is a P rather than J width (my JMJ is just 40mm BTW).

Interesting thanks, I'd forgotten about the vintera range actually - bit out of the loop with fenders current naming convention! 

There's so much mixed information around on th specs of each one! 

Annoying the shops aren't open for trials too - might have to start with the cheapest then return and try the next level up until I find one I like! 

48 minutes ago, Lw. said:

Interesting thanks, I'd forgotten about the vintera range actually - bit out of the loop with fenders current naming convention! 

There's so much mixed information around on th specs of each one! 

Annoying the shops aren't open for trials too - might have to start with the cheapest then return and try the next level up until I find one I like! 

IIRC the Gretsch G2220 has a P type width, good tone and is very reasonably priced at around £300.

Fyi, I'm really loving my Sandberg California short-scale P-bass.  For some inexplicable reason it's officially called 'Lionel', which would have been enough to stop me buying one if the name had actually appeared on the bass itself.  Anyway, for me it's the best of the 'branded' s-s basses I've tried and, apart from the normal P-bass limitations (i.e. single pup and two pot's), plays as nicely as my Andy Rogers custom-built basses.  Neck measures 40mm at the nut, which is my preference.  I'll post a pic as soon as I've taken a decent one.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MoonBassAlpha said:

Looks nice Mike, good weight and balance too?

Around 3.75kg at a guess, perfect balance with top strap pin at F11, and (for me) correct positioning on the strap - i.e. strings anchored close to the edge of the body for easy reach to lower frets.  Great access to top frets too.  This bass oozes quality in terms of body/neck/fretboard finish, hardware, 6-point neck fixing, and inclusion of a zero fret, which I always like.  It's a s-s bass that feels substantial to play.

Edited by scrumpymike
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, scrumpymike said:

Around 3.75kg at a guess, perfect balance with top strap pin at F11, and (for me) correct positioning on the strap - i.e. strings anchored close to the edge of the body for easy reach to lower frets.  Great access to top frets too.  This bass oozes quality in terms of body/neck/fretboard finish, hardware, 6-point neck fixing, and inclusion of a zero fret, which I always like.  It's a s-s bass that feels substantial to play.

Also worth mentioning the nice 3-string guide on the headstock, the standard Sandberg strap-pins that also work with Schaller strap locks, and the neat little spec/maintenance leaflet explaining how to adjust the bridge and truss-rod.  Relatively trivial stuff I know but this attention to detail tells a story.  OK, I'll shut up about it now! 😐

• Like 1

I picked up a Squier Classic Vibe Mustang, in Surf Green,  this week, delivered on Friday and as always with a new bass it seems 😉, I am loving it.

It's not mega light at 3.88Kg, 8.55lb, with a good deal of that mass being in the body so it balances level on a strap. I use a strap when sat down too, I don't find balancing instrument on right leg comfortable. It's nicely resonant unplugged, which I have found with a number of Squiers, they are made from well chosen wood.

The strings aren't awful to me as some people have reported, there are no obvious dead spots or oddly resonant notes and harmonics are bright and clear. The fretwork (narrow tall frets) is excellent, fit and finish 9.5 /10. From the serial number it's made, I believe, by Samick in Indonesia rather than by Cort. The very vintage gloss finish on the neck looks good to my eye and brings out the variations of colour of the maple, but those of sweaty hands might not like it, tbh I am undecided, if I keep it long term I may satinize it. But the tint does make the small fret markers disappear a bit, so long term I'd fit luminlays (maybe get someone to do that), for now a dab of white paint pen will suffice as it is easily removed.

I had to adjust the bridge just a little (though I have kept a higher action (factory setting is 3-2.5mm) than I might as it plays fine as it is) and set the intonation of the G string; the nut is cut generously high but is fine for intonation of the first and second fret notes so I'll leave alone, maybe adjust once I've found the keeper string choice. I also adjusted the pitch of the pickups a little as E and G were too loud but a small adjustment has brought a good balance string to string.

38mm nut, well spaced strings, not too close to the edge of the board and 19mm at the bridge, neck is much like the top 2/3 of a Jazz, but upper fret access is pants because of the heel (body join is 14th fret), even though its only 19 frets I can't actually get to much above 15 with my short fat hand.

I had a quick look inside the control cavity, no shielding paint, mini pots and .047mF poly tone cap, pretty much as you would expect from a Squier, I like the tone 80% off mostly, or 50% with the volume backed off a little and a little bit of gain pedal to colour and boost the output.

But the tone is great, even across the strings and less bass/treble variation EA/DG than many Ps and Js I've played and the compact slab body (no belly cut or arm carve) is comfortable and the smaller size means that it's easy to move around with the fretting hand and palm muting and thumb and finger picking down by the bridge is easier than on a full size instrument I find. I haven't tried it with a pick/plectrum. I've only played it through my PJ practice amp.

Overall I'd give it 8/10 with that new owner tinted glasses, got to justify the purchase to myself mindset. Other than the addition of a Toucan it is as yet unmodified, haven't even taken the scratch plate plastic off. Supplied by A Strings in Treforest as I had a Reverb credit to use, Andertons have stock again and are cheaper, but I am happy to also support a smaller independent who provided great service and equally quick delivery on this and previously when I needed odd strings to make up sets or odd parts and keep a bit of money in Wales.

WP_20210314_001.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Aidan63 said:

upper fret access is pants because of the heel (body join is 14th fret), even though its only 19 frets I can't actually get to much above 15 with my short fat hand.

I had a quick look inside the control cavity, no shielding paint, mini pots and .047mF poly tone cap, pretty much as you would expect from a Squier, I like the tone 80% off mostly, or 50% with the volume backed off a little and a little bit of gain pedal to colour and boost the output.

But the tone is great, even across the strings and less bass/treble variation EA/DG than many Ps and Js I've played and the compact slab body (no belly cut or arm carve) is comfortable and the smaller size means that it's easy to move around with the fretting hand and palm muting and thumb and finger picking down by the bridge is easier than on a full size instrument I find. I haven't tried it with a pick/plectrum. I've only played it through my PJ practice amp.

Same with my new JMJ. I’m so tempted to attack the lower cutaway and corner of the heel joint with a rasp (I won’t). No shielding on the JMJ either, not that it’s especially noisy, but I’ll probably add some copper tape at some juncture, especially as this seems like a great bass for recording.

I’ve been playing it a lot with a pick (too much watching Bobby Vega and Cody Wright videos) and it sounds great, especially as palm muting is a doddle.

The JMJ comes with Fender flats, which seem to fit the whole Mustang vibe nicely (medium scale strings seem to be the recommended length for any replacement strings). Because of the lack of overtones, it takes modulation effects really well, even low, open strings through an octaver track well.

Enjoy your new acquisition.

EDIT - Similar weight too.

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Aidan63 said:

20.65mm behind the 1st fret

Thanks! I've just taken delivery of a vintera Mustang & it feels so tiny! It's ~20.2mm front to back & 41mm nut. 

I think I've ruined myself with a super chunky '57P re-issue! Going to have to see if I can get used to the smaller size! 

Happy NBD! 

58 minutes ago, Lw. said:

Thanks! I've just taken delivery of a vintera Mustang & it feels so tiny! It's ~20.2mm front to back & 41mm nut. 

I think I've ruined myself with a super chunky '57P re-issue! Going to have to see if I can get used to the smaller size! 

Happy NBD! 

The Mustang is getting a lot of NBD love recently it seems.

The JMJ has a very similar depth to the Vintera. ‘50s reissue Ps certainly seem to be on the chunky side, my old ‘50s Roadworn was certainly a chubster. I became used to the body size very quickly and the neck isn’t unlike my Maruszczyks (a little chubbier perhaps). Enjoy your NSSBD.

On 11/03/2021 at 18:30, Woodinblack said:

Finally made a decision, yes, I would buy the squier mustang. Or the bronco. So I bought the TMB35

And it turned up today.

It was a pain, after deciding to get one, everyone was out of stock. Well, almost everyone, bax had one, and after my previous experience with them I thought I wouldn't use them again, and they had shipping with hermes so ditto, but it was also cheap at £193 inc vat and shipping. So what the hell, I did get my money back last time.

Ordered it on the thursday night, a bit dismayed to look when I got the shipping on friday that it was currently in Holland, being shipped. But looked late friday night and it had cleared customs. Looked this morning adn it said delivery tommorow, now in bristol, looked half an hour ago and it said left outside, so I went outside and there it was!

Luckily, because I don't want to have to deal with bax that much, it seems perfect, very unibanez neck, but seems really easy to play and sounds great (especially the b string).

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

And it turned up today.

It was a pain, after deciding to get one, everyone was out of stock. Well, almost everyone, bax had one, and after my previous experience with them I thought I wouldn't use them again, and they had shipping with hermes so ditto, but it was also cheap at £193 inc vat and shipping. So what the hell, I did get my money back last time.

Ordered it on the thursday night, a bit dismayed to look when I got the shipping on friday that it was currently in Holland, being shipped. But looked late friday night and it had cleared customs. Looked this morning adn it said delivery tommorow, now in bristol, looked half an hour ago and it said left outside, so I went outside and there it was!

Luckily, because I don't want to have to deal with bax that much, it seems perfect, very unibanez neck, but seems really easy to play and sounds great (especially the b string).

New bass and no photo, a sorry state of affairs.

How does the neck differ from what we would expect from Ibby, any chance of some dimensions?