Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision - String Through or Bridge Stringing ?

Andy69

I’ve found that it seems to give a slightly higher tension. And it might be all in the mind but it seems to be a deeper more resonant sound. Though to be honest I string through the body mainly to both stop the ferrules in the back possibly falling out, plus in case of string breakage, it’s much easier to get the strings out than if strung through the hi-mass bridge - the ball ends can get pretty tight in there.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I’ve found that it seems to give a slightly higher tension. And it might be all in the mind but it seems to be a deeper more resonant sound. Though to be honest I string through the body mainly to both stop the ferrules in the back possibly falling out, plus in case of string breakage, it’s much easier to get the strings out than if strung through the hi-mass bridge - the ball ends can get pretty tight in there.

Dare I say it also - more sustain.

The 60s and 70s Precisions did not feature string through bridges and those 60s players often played with foam rubber under the strings and very heavy gauge flatwound strings. But that was the 60s.

The original Precisions (51 onwards) had string through body bridges also IIRC. 

Edited by drTStingray

I hate string thru bodies, I’m to the point where I won’t even buy a bass or guitar with that feature. 

the whole sustain quest is quite silly, am I going to play a single note and let it ring out until the audience gets bored and leaves?

aren’t Les Paul’s famous for their sustain?  They don’t have a string thru body...

2AD09F72-4407-44EE-9C16-3E20F0D6444A.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AngelDeVille said:

I hate string thru bodies, I’m to the point where I won’t even buy a bass or guitar with that feature. 
the whole sustain quest is quite silly, am I going to play a single note and let it ring out until the audience gets bored and leaves? aren’t Les Paul’s famous for their sustain?  They don’t have a string thru body.

That a bit extreme isn’t it?

Lets ask @BigRedX. I believe Gus are string through.

8 hours ago, Andy69 said:

I'm looking at upgrading to a USA precision, currently got a MIM.

Is there any advantage to a string through the body to a bridge stringing?

🍿 time .... I think lozz had the best answer; it’s easier to change strings. Otherwise imho the difference is negligible 

Edited by Geek99
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, TomasFlats said:

Isn’t the accepted wisdom that string-through increases sustain?

So if you play with a foam mute and go for that old school thump, then it’s through the bridge, presumably.

What did Jamerson do?

Given that he never changed his strings and used a foam mute I think any difference in sustain in his case would be negligible 

his was a 62 which I think is not string thru - correct me if I’m wrong 

Edited by Geek99
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bassbiscuits said:

Makes using flatwounds a bit tricky tho as it increases the angle they have to bend. 

This. I don't believe through body stringing makes any difference to the sound, but if you use flats, as I do, they will likely fail sooner. Trough bride string changing easier, too.