Why become a member? ×

Hawkwind in the Guardian...

Old Man Riva

From a few topics on here I've noticed quite a bit of warmth towards Hawkwind: be it live, on record or just plain Lemmy.

There's a good/interesting piece in today's Guardian for those who like a bit of quark, strangeness and charm...

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/oct/19/why-hawkwind-were-the-great-radicals-of-1970s-rock 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Saw Hawkwind in the 70's a couple of times.  Edmonton Sundown  Norf Landon  ( think it closed years ago ) and a free festival somewhere. Cant remember which one. 

Awesome band.  Though it might have been the organic cabbage that was going around

Edited by fleabag

Hawkwind are one of those bands who evaded me for may years, mainly due to my misconceptions about what they are like.

But all the stuff I've heard from them I have really liked.... and from multiple eras too.

They have a large back catalogue though, so not sure where to dip my toe further.

In Search Of Space (fold-out sleeve! Bonkers Robert Calvert logbook!) was a formative influence on my spotty self. 

Immensely heavy, electronic,  psychedelic, trancey and perhaps more Euro/Krautrock-connected than they are given credit for. 

Still like it today. 

• Like 1

My fondness for them is definitely rooted in nostalgia as they were the first band I saw live - Coventry Theatre, 1976.

My mate’s elder brother took us along - as two 14yr olds, it’s fair to say,  we definitely cramped his style! 

During school holidays we’d play his LPs when he was out at work (“touch my records and I’ll kill ya!”), one of which was Space Ritual. 

Music contributed greatly to some wonderful times as a a kid, where even having a record in your hands was a magical thing. Then to see a band live (and even through the misty water-coloured memories of time they were fantastic!) was the most incredible thing ever!

They set the tone for some great gigs ahead! 

• Like 1

Great Gigs, Great Times... Hammersmith Odeon '82... 14 yo... then very frequantly during the 80's and early 90's

Eldest (16) is now glued to Warriors on the edge of time, and loves the 'theater play' aspect of Robert Calvert's Cpt Lockheed and the Starfighters, (Hawkwind 'n Arthur Brown...)

Just ordered a couple of live DVDs to enjoy with my eldest...

I saw them once only, at the Walthamstow Assembly Halls almost 20 years ago. My abiding memory, if you can call it that, is feeling stoned through secondary smoke inhalation given the amount of gear being consumed by everyone else. Just googling the concert, I wonder if it might have been where Spaced out in London was recorded. They were probably describing me. 

2 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

Hawkwind are one of those bands who evaded me for may years, mainly due to my misconceptions about what they are like.

But all the stuff I've heard from them I have really liked.... and from multiple eras too.

They have a large back catalogue though, so not sure where to dip my toe further.

Depends on your tastes, but I’d suggest Space Ritual first, although it’s pretty intense so may not be the best ‘in’ for everyone. Failing that, you could try Doremi Fasol Latido or Warrior on the Edge of Time. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Old Man Riva said:

My fondness for them is definitely rooted in nostalgia as they were the first band I saw live - Coventry Theatre, 1976.

My mate’s elder brother took us along - as two 14yr olds, it’s fair to say,  we definitely cramped his style! 

During school holidays we’d play his LPs when he was out at work (“touch my records and I’ll kill ya!”), one of which was Space Ritual. 

Music contributed greatly to some wonderful times as a a kid, where even having a record in your hands was a magical thing. Then to see a band live (and even through the misty water-coloured memories of time they were fantastic!) was the most incredible thing ever!

They set the tone for some great gigs ahead! 

First band I ever saw too, Dec ‘79, as per the live album from that period. Having only seen jazz orchestras previously, they blew my head clean off. 

Space Ritual taught me how to play, in the beginning. 

Love Hawkwind, especially the Lemmy era. Space Ritual is one of my all time favourites.

Saw them numerous times from the mid-80's through to the mid-90's, always a great live show, even when they started to up the synth content in the songs.

It was always interesting to see what guitars Dave Brock was using, as he always used "affordable" guitars, Ibanez Artist's and Westone Spectrum's. The Alan Davey years were great too, lots of Rickenbacker growl, and Lemmy-sequel lines.

Seen a few Hawkwind off shoots, Huw Lloyd Langton, Alan Davey's band. Great stuff.

47 minutes ago, 4000 said:

Depends on your tastes, but I’d suggest Space Ritual first, although it’s pretty intense so may not be the best ‘in’ for everyone. Failing that, you could try Doremi Fasol Latido or Warrior on the Edge of Time. 

In at the deep end is best for me, so I’ll give Space Ritual a go. Cheers for the tip.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skybone said:

Love Hawkwind, especially the Lemmy era. Space Ritual is one of my all time favourites.

Saw them numerous times from the mid-80's through to the mid-90's, always a great live show, even when they started to up the synth content in the songs.

It was always interesting to see what guitars Dave Brock was using, as he always used "affordable" guitars, Ibanez Artist's and Westone Spectrum's. The Alan Davey years were great too, lots of Rickenbacker growl, and Lemmy-sequel lines.

Seen a few Hawkwind off shoots, Huw Lloyd Langton, Alan Davey's band. Great stuff.

Will never forget seeing the Hawkfest at Brixton one year when Lemmy played.  Obviously Alan is a really nice player and very Lemmy-esque, but when Lemmy actually plugged in next to him the difference in sound was ridiculous. Lemmy sounded like a jumbo jet taking off. 

• Like 1

Saw them a few Times in the 80's whilst living on South Devon. If they weren't at some venue it was in a field at some local festival. Essential listening during our weekend social gatherings. Covered quite a few songs too, especially when Chronicles of the black sword came out. Was also reading the Elric books by Michael Moorcock.

• Like 1

Although the early-mid 70s tends to be seen as their classic period, I am especially fond of the mid-late 70s period, with Bob Calvert dramatically upping their lyrical game, and also filling a much more traditional 'front-man' role for much of that time.

Astounding Sounds - Q,S&C - Hawklords - PXR5 - Levitation is a great run of albums.

Apparently I once saw Hawkwind performing on the back of a lorry at a Stonehenge festival. I had no idea it was Hawkwind, I had no idea I was at Stonehenge. I had most of my belongings stolen by three gentleman from the Windsor Chapter, including my DMs, I had no idea this had happened.

• Haha 4

15 hours ago, fleabag said:

Saw Hawkwind in the 70's a couple of times.  Edmonton Sundown  Norf Landon  ( think it closed years ago ) and a free festival somewhere. Cant remember which one. 

Awesome band.  Though it might have been the organic cabbage that was going around

Saw them at the Sundown a few times as well. 

Was it Harlow Town Park that you saw them at? That one was a freebie. 

3 hours ago, gary mac said:

Saw them at the Sundown a few times as well. 

Was it Harlow Town Park that you saw them at? That one was a freebie. 

Nah it wasnt anywhere near Essex,  Gary.  Windsor , Stonehenge or maybe Watchfield, possibly 

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 1