Why become a member? ×

Yamaha digital sax - affordable

ProfJames

The Layout

The Yamaha YDS-150 uses the same key layout, mouthpiece and thumb rest as an acoustic Saxophone to help deliver a natural and comfortable playing experience to new or experienced Saxophonists. It also features a real brass bell and is the same length as an acoustic Soprano Saxophone in order to offer exceptional balance and a lightweight feel. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, TheGreek said:

I have played EWIs before and the fingering is completely different.  There was  a Yamaha alto that was marketed some years back that fully digital internally but that was over 2.5k.........you could have got a reasonable Selmer tenor for that!

• 3 weeks later...

Obviously 🙂 🙂

9 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

EWI 5000. (Electronic Wind Instrument). I have mine in flute mode, as I don't play a sax!

Tablet typing, couple of whiskies ...  it  would have to have  a treble recorder mode for me as it's the only wind instrument I've ever played.   Doesn't it feel a bit wrong way round to a flautist?

7 hours ago, NickA said:

My bro has an EW 15000.  Plays it in sax mode but the fingering can be changed to flute or oboe, think you can even put it in "brass mode" with simulated valves.  Makes every sound under the sun.

Not the same fingering.  Had two of them

1 hour ago, NickA said:

I was told it was the same, but "Closely resembles" according to the manual.  Different then. Lots more octave shifting for starters!

Confused the shyte out of me, you also need to get the original amp for the full effects if I remember correctly.  I also think AIWA dis an EWI as well.  There was also a Yam Alto that a company converted into a synthesised sax........will try and dig out details

9 hours ago, ProfJames said:

It was a few years ago when I had a go..........may well have changed

The original EWI from many years ago had a separate synth block as did the 3000, but they haven't been made for a few decades. The current 4000 and 5000 have built in sounds, and the USB is just a USB controller

12 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

The original EWI from many years ago had a separate synth block as did the 3000, but they haven't been made for a few decades. The current 4000 and 5000 have built in sounds, and the USB is just a USB controller

Aaah, my experience was with the 3000 I believe.  Thank you

An interesting fact is that Andras Szalay of Panda (Future Impact) was involved in the development of the EWI.

On 06/11/2020 at 22:06, ProfJames said:

There was also a Yam Alto that a company converted into a synthesised sax........will try and dig out details

This is probably what you were thinking of:

http://www.softwind.com/synthophone.html

• Like 1