Why become a member? ×

First Bass

DWootton90

I kept it and couldn't be happier...doing a course from Talking Bass and quite happy with my progress (albeit limited) so far.

I've got another very basic question which I thought i'd post in here rather than start a new thread in the hope that someone will advise me, I did do a search...I've been practicing around an hour a day, today was mainly riffs using the G string a lot and my strings have gone discoloured - I assume this is totally normal and doesn't mean the strings are dead? Not rust? Appreciate this is probably a ridiculous question - I did wipe them down with a microfibre cloth after but didn't do anything apart from make the cloth dirty!

Getting a set up at the end of the month so any issues I'll just get it restrung at the same time.

Cheers,

IMG_20201029_182859.jpg

Edited by DWootton90

Not sure if you've heard from the supplier but you could use the need for a new set of strings to negotiate. Mention that you're a member hear and that you'll start a "great service from...." thread if that's what you get.

Suppliers like it when good things are said about them.

Just now, TheGreek said:

Not sure if you've heard from the supplier but you could use the need for a new set of strings to negotiate. Mention that you're a member hear and that you'll start a "great service from...." thread if that's what you get.

Suppliers like it when good things are said about them.

Yeah they weren't instead which is fair enough as wood is wood and it's natural which is fair enough, I was only angling for a voucher anyway. I assume this is just coating that is wearing off of the strings.

I've never had strings become discoloured like that, or be dirty if/when wiped. It doesn't look right at all. I know that most basses are fitted with the cheapest possible strings when new.

If it doesn't change the sound though......????

Strings should be resistant to the normal moisture level from a player's hands. I don't know why you'd play a bass with not-completely-dried hand sanitizer (its not water though, they're alcohol).

2 minutes ago, paul_c2 said:

I've never had strings become discoloured like that, or be dirty if/when wiped. It doesn't look right at all. I know that most basses are fitted with the cheapest possible strings when new.

If it doesn't change the sound though......????

Strings should be resistant to the normal moisture level from a player's hands. I don't know why you'd play a bass with not-completely-dried hand sanitizer (its not water though, they're alcohol).

I'm not sure if I did...just trying to think of reasons why it may have happened. I wouldn't say I get sweaty hands in any way, sounds fine though so should probably just forget about it.  Can always get some new strings.

My first thought when I saw those strings was, someone has already 'touched up' that knot and used a sharpie (or similar) which contains a fair bit of red. 

When you were playing all those riffs on the G-string your sweat or the sanitiser (alcohol-based, I'm guessing) has dissolved some of that ink and your fingers have then transferred it to the strings.

I hope I'm wrong, really I do, but if that's what's happened then my feeling is that the bass needs to go back for a full refund.

At the very least, I'd share that photo with the vendor and ask them to explain.

And to answer your question explicitly, that discoloration is not even slightly 'normal' ... it's deeply weird.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

My first thought when I saw those strings was, someone has already 'touched up' that knot and used a sharpie (or similar) which contains a fair bit of red. 

When you were playing all those riffs on the G-string your sweat or the sanitiser (alcohol-based, I'm guessing) has dissolved some of that ink and your fingers have then transferred it to the strings.

I hope I'm wrong, really I do, but if that's what's happened then my feeling is that the bass needs to go back for a full refund.

At the very least, I'd share that photo with the vendor and ask them to explain.

And to answer your question explicitly, that discoloration is not even slightly 'normal' ... it's deeply weird.

I'd not even thought about that, but looking at the photo I uploaded tonight and the original photo you can tell the knot looks different which is worrying - I really hope above isn't the case.

I've emailed the vender, very well known shop which has an instrument name twice in it's name....hoping I get a satisfactory response as they were a bit short the first time.

1 hour ago, Happy Jack said:

Bang on the money I've seen this done before sometimes not just with ink but shoe polish buffed in I'd send it back mate 

• Like 1

I'm with @Happy Jack on this one. I've never seen strings become that kind of discolored before, ever.  And I DO get sweaty hands.  I think he hit the nail on the head with that theory?  Where did you buy your bass?  A lot of places have a 30 day return policy.  It's a bit of a hassle, though.  But if it has already been touched up (and not well) you should get a discount or replacement if it is still new enough.  If that's what you do, don't forget to play the new one and give it a good examination before buying.  Not all basses are created equally, even if out of the same assembly line.

It's gone back to the shop today, hopefully for a full refund with no issue.

Now I've got to look for a new bass, I did plan on getting out to the shop and trying a few different ones but now that lockdown is coming back in the UK on Thursday I won't get a chance unfortunately.  I've watched loads of reviews, I don't want to buy used and narrowed it down to the following:

Squier CV 60s Precision: https://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-dept/bass-guitars/precision-bass/squier-classic-vibe-60s-precision-bass-laurel-fingerboard-3-color-sunburst

Really like the look and sound of this, in Olympic White it's definitely the frontrunner at the moment.  I really liked the deeper P tone on my Yamaha and wasn't really into the J sound but I wonder if a P/J would be better just to have the option? GASing for the colour though. Also like the look of the new CV Mustangs, think a short scale would suit me as I don't have the biggest hands but preferred the tone of this.

Harley Benton PJ-74: https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_pj_74ow_vintage.htm?glp=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA-f78BRBbEiwATKRRBOBXzNXVUkcSWet7NbcONcOx2Ggrce6m2r1PZDygl4bK-CZHsbMNFhoCkekQAvD_BwE

Similar colour to the Squier, sounds good, half the price and has the J pickup too.  Just worried about QC and potentially still gassing for the CV if I got this.

Yamaha BB234:

https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/Yamaha-BB234-Black/art-BAS0009147-000

Again like the sound of this but looks wise it's a bit soulless, I assume it will probably be the best built of the 3 but may be boring.

Other options I've looked at are MMBS Ray4s but I'm learning with my thumb on the pickup at the moment so I'd lose that and I'm not bothered about Active electronics. Didn't like the sound of the Ibanez Talmans and don't like the look of the Sires.  Budget is anywhere between £200-£350 ish, are there any better suggestions? Will be playing all sorts of music to learn but I'd probably lean to disco/funk/R&B sounds going forward once I've picked it up a bit more.

Cheers!

Edited by DWootton90

5 hours ago, DWootton90 said:

It's gone back to the shop today, hopefully for a full refund with no issue.

Now I've got to look for a new bass, I did plan on getting out to the shop and trying a few different ones but now that lockdown is coming back in the UK on Thursday I won't get a chance unfortunately.  I've watched loads of reviews, I don't want to buy used and narrowed it down to the following:

Squier CV 60s Precision: https://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-dept/bass-guitars/precision-bass/squier-classic-vibe-60s-precision-bass-laurel-fingerboard-3-color-sunburst

Really like the look and sound of this, in Olympic White it's definitely the frontrunner at the moment.  I really liked the deeper P tone on my Yamaha and wasn't really into the J sound but I wonder if a P/J would be better just to have the option? GASing for the colour though. Also like the look of the new CV Mustangs, think a short scale would suit me as I don't have the biggest hands but preferred the tone of this.

Harley Benton PJ-74: https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_pj_74ow_vintage.htm?glp=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA-f78BRBbEiwATKRRBOBXzNXVUkcSWet7NbcONcOx2Ggrce6m2r1PZDygl4bK-CZHsbMNFhoCkekQAvD_BwE

Similar colour to the Squier, sounds good, half the price and has the J pickup too.  Just worried about QC and potentially still gassing for the CV if I got this.

Yamaha BB234:

https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/Yamaha-BB234-Black/art-BAS0009147-000

Again like the sound of this but looks wise it's a bit soulless, I assume it will probably be the best built of the 3 but may be boring.

Other options I've looked at are MMBS Ray4s but I'm learning with my thumb on the pickup at the moment so I'd lose that and I'm not bothered about Active electronics. Didn't like the sound of the Ibanez Talmans and don't like the look of the Sires.  Budget is anywhere between £200-£350 ish, are there any better suggestions? Will be playing all sorts of music to learn but I'd probably lean to disco/funk/R&B sounds going forward once I've picked it up a bit more.

Cheers!

I've just seen this and looks like it may be a good alternative to the Squier? https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/Vintage-Reissued-V4MVW-Vintage-White/art-BAS0008379-000 

I like it, always seems nice to own something with a quirk that makes it unique..doubt you'll see another bass with that exact mark on it.
Makes me think of full metal jacket for some reason..

"This is my Bass. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My Bass is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life."

I've received my refund for the TRBX and now turned my attention to jazzes as a replacement, I think I prefer the versatility. Been looking at the new Classic Vibe 60s and 70s but came across G&L Tribute JB-2s and I'm smitten. Can find them new for £300, I assume it's a no brainer at that price point? Love the sound of both.

Edited by DWootton90

9 hours ago, DWootton90 said:

I've received my refund for the TRBX and now turned my attention to jazzes as a replacement, I think I prefer the versatility. Been looking at the new Classic Vibe 60s and 70s but came across G&L Tribute JB-2s and I'm smitten. Can find them new for £300, I assume it's a no brainer at that price point? Love the sound of both.

G&L make FANTASTIC basses, that'd be my choice!

• Like 2

I personally wouldn't worry about it because it doesn't affect playability. With wood you will always get some sort of variation. I could probably understand it if the bass was expensive because it would affect resale value, but otherwise I don't think it's of much importance. But that's just me.

It's almost like a mark of distinction, so it may be something that you grow to like.

Edited by TheLowDown