Why become a member? ×

First Bass

DWootton90

Hi there, first bass and first post!

I received my TRBX in the post this morning and have no history with bass or any guitars, excited to start learning!

The fretboard has this mark on, I assume it's just the grain of the wood as it feels and looks smooth but is this normal or poor QC? I bought it from a very reputable dealer and really don't want to return it, everything else seems perfect but I want to check. Hopefully I'm just worrying about nothing.

Thanks

IMG_20201019_095932.jpg

Edited by DWootton90

It's just a knot in the wood used for the fretboard - it shouldn't cause any concern from a functional perspective. I suppose you could call it bad QC and it should have been rejected but I wouldn't worry - it makes your bass unique! Enjoy it and get stuck in. 

• Like 5

Much as I agree with @ped in principle, I would be concerned, especially as it is your first bass and as you improve and begin to suffer from the inevitable GAS you’ll maybe want to sell this bass and get something else, that the knot in the fingerboard may put off prospective buyers. So many of us, despite going into endless detail about all manner of technical details, are hugely swayed by the aesthetics of particular instruments. I wouldn’t buy your bass, even if it were a model I was after, because of how the fingerboard looks, I’d wait for one without the knot, for no other reason that I’d be concerned about resale. Forgive me for playing Devil’s advocate but I think it is a consideration worth bearing in mind.

Edited by Frank Blank

I once had a MIA Jazz that had a knot. It was visible if you could be bothered to look. I could have sent it back and risked getting a replacement that didn't sound or play as well... no chance.

I eventually sold it... it didn't bother the guy that bought it off me either.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

I had a knot in a fingerboard before, it didn't bother me either. In fact, I thought it made the aesthetics more interesting. It had no effect on the functionality so, no problemo.

Yeah, I actually think it looks quite interesting and adds a bit of character. My only worry is that if I want to sell to upgrade in the future it'll hurt resale value. It's a lot of effort to return it but I've asked the shop what they think of it.

Edited by DWootton90

I wouldn't worry, neither as a hypothetical future second hand buyer if the offer was right and I happened to be on the lookout for that particular model.

I am not shallow like that.

It's only a quite minor cosmetic, I would't even really call it a flaw, rather peculiar detail, that I actually even think adds a certain unique charm to the fretboard. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

I wouldn't worry, neither as a hypothetical future second hand buyer if the offer was right and I happened to be on the lookout for that particular model.

I am not shallow like that.

It's only a quite minor cosmetic, I would,'t even really call it a flaw, rather peculiar detail, that I actually even think adds a certain unique charm to the fretboard. 

Still waiting on a response from where I bought it from but you've all swayed me to keep it, agree it adds to the charm and makes it mine.

Now time to start learning...

15 hours ago, DWootton90 said:

Still waiting on a response from where I bought it from but you've all swayed me to keep it, agree it adds to the charm and makes it mine.

Now time to start learning...

Don't tell the supplier that. They might offer you a slight refund rather than the hassle of returning it, which would be a nice little bonus. 

• Like 1

There will always be natural variation with wood. If they've taken the effort to cut a tree down it feels a shame to discard a perfectly useful piece of lumber for what is an honest and natural aesthetic anomaly. There's no performance impact here,  so I'd just crack on and enjoy playing it.

I do get that not everybody will feel the same, just my 1/2p

Edited by Mokl

If that knot is smooth and doesn't affect your playing, leave it!  It's character!  It won't turn anybody off buying it when it's time to trade it in.  Those kind of quirks, the kind that don't hurt structure or tonality, are something I always prefer.  Don't worry about it.  Plus, the more you practice and play as you go along, the more you're going to ACTUALLY ding it up.  And even still, that will just be stories and character!