Why become a member? ×

Power supply adapters and sockets

Woodinblack

I have two needs on my pedalboard at the moment. I want to power a USB device (which is a 12 step to midi adaptor but matters not) from my pedalboard psu, which obviously has a load of 9v out (and 12 and 18). I have been searching and it seems that the world wants me to convert this the other way. If I want to power something from USB there is no shortage of that. I could throw an LM7805 in a box, but that is a lot more trouble than I want.

Also, I have my pedalboard and I have a helix HX. I can't reliably pwer the helix from the PSU, but it powers from its own rubbish adapter. Anyone know where I can get a US power socket in line so that I could just wire it underneath my pedalboard so I can use one socket to power everything?

I use Thomann rechargeable power supply has two 9v out and a USB out oh, and a torch. 

https://m.thomann.de/intl/harley_benton_powerplant_powerbank.htm?i11l=en_GB%3ABG.BGN%3AEUR&o=16&search=1603093811

Also if you have an ordinary power bank you can even charge it as it is working, but as it lasts about 5 hours anyway you probably won't need to 

Edited by stewblack

Oh I supposed I could use one of those power bank things to power the USB, except then I have to remember to charge it before using it and risk it running out of power (as they also charge from 5v).

I did notice the joyo power supply also had a usb out and was battery as well (not enough to power a helix obv), but I didn't really want to go changing power supply when everything was actually working fine

Ciocks DC7 provides USB out and will also have plenty of power for your Helix at the same time; buy they're not cheap:

image.png.cdf878cc166578e48dafc01d32def5ba.png

Really compact form too, allowing you to slot under your PB in similar fashion to the OneSpot CS6 or Ciocks DC5 or the excellent value HB PSUs from Thomann.

I got mine earlier in the summer from Walshy of this parish, but it has been lying in its box since due to a lack of gigs / any need for a my larger board - pm me if you're interested: I should be able to get it to you just in time for Sat's gig! 

Edited by Al Krow

23 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Ciocks DC7 provides USB out and will also have plenty of power for your Helix at the same time; buy they're not cheap:

I got mine earlier in the summer from Walshy of this parish, but it has been lying in its box since due to a lack of gigs / any need for a my larger board - pm me if you're interested: I should be able to get it to you just in time for Sat's gig! 

Ow, seriously not cheap. That is way out of my price range for a power supply when all I really need is a couple of plugs, but thanks for the offer!

I needed to do exactly the same thing, ended up making my own adapter using one of these off ebay. Works fine:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162947860761

Easy to do. Just cut the end off one of your dc cables, then attach the little wires inside to the screw terminals. NB they will most likely be red and black, and you will need to connect the red one (usually from the pin) to the positive terminal. Then wrap the whole thing in some heat shrink or insulation tape. Job done.

If you don't fancy DIY, Temple audio make an adapter that does what you need, but its expensive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1