Why become a member? ×

Scat!

stewblack

35 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

A friend of mine committed suicide with that written on her arm, going out in style...

I contemplated if it would be inappropriate to like your post, but got to say, even if it's hard to earn respect by taking one's own life, she absolutely earned it in my book.

This seems like a fitting homage to your friend (a shame it's become such a worn out cliche, cause its actually a great song) :

Life's a piece of stinky poo    (well, that is not how the actual lyrics goes, in what kind of world would you want to censor Monty Python  :facepalm: *resigned sigh*)
When you look at it
Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true
You'll see it's all a show
Keep 'em laughin' as you go
Just remember that the last laugh is on you

(also I fail to see how a "stinky poo" can possibly be any better than a "stinky poo", and personally I take infinitely more offence to being made into looking like a completely retarded imbecile than someone using the word stinky poo)

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

...in what kind of world would you want to censor Monty Python  :facepalm: *resigned sigh*...

The idea behind the cuss filter is to incite folks to not use offensive, non-family-friendly language. There are many terms in the vocabulary that convey most sentiments without resorting to open vulgarity. For quoting, when it really does make a point (maybe...), there are ways, such as using 'special non-English characters' (in this case, 'shït, for example...), or, even better, asterisks are your friend (and so: sh*t...).
Hope this helps; in general, it's best to avoid rude words, of course. :friends:

Edited by Dad3353

4 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

The idea behind the cuss filter is to incite folks to not use offensive, non-family-friendly language. There are many terms in the vocabulary that convey most sentiments without resorting to open vulgarity. For quoting, when it really does make a point (maybe...), there are ways, such as using 'special non-English characters' (in this case, 'shït, for example...), or, even better, asterisks are your friend (and so: sh*t...).
Hope this helps; in general, it's best to avoid rude words, of course. :friends:

Yes, but as I see it having such a system is assuming in before hand that people will use these words with the intention of being vulgar, and as such judging them in beforehand, I for one really don't understand why "stinky poo" should be any better, if anything it is even worse, "sh*t" is after all a quite common curse word, whereas "stinky poo" means exactly what it says "stinky fecal matters", just put in a more infantile way, judging certain expressions as especially bad over other expressions that semantically is even worse shows a lack of ability to understand individual people's use of language and how it might for example be a product of their social background and circle of friends, where it might not have the same bad connotations as you insist it to have, a lack of ability to understand that language and words connotations are merely social constructs, sucking up to this sort old fashioned pseudo moralist code of conduct that really has absolutely nothing to do with real ethics, finally they are after all just words, they can mean whatever you want them to mean, and if you insist in seeing something dirty in them then it is you who think dirty not the people using them with no dirty intentions in mind. 

This sort of censorship would never be implemented on any Danish forum, and I am not going to change my mind about it being completely and utterly brain dead, that it protects absolutely no one, but on the contrary display intelligent people as salivating imbecile morons, contributes to maintaining and feed an old fashioned rigid pseudo-moral socially conservative code of conduct and view on reality, and that the people deciding to implement this system have an infinitely more dirty mind than all the bull-crap and cow-dung in the whole wide world together could ever possibly have.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

4 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Yes...

Well, as long as folks refrain from swearing, in the knowledge that these terms will be replaced with others, we'll consider that the cuss filter is doing its job. I'll leave the philosophy to others; we're just trying to keep the Forum as decent as we can. Not using these words is the solution, on this Forum at least. :|

On 18 October 2020 at 22:08, stewblack said:

....... I'm currently trying to play a couple bars of a Charlie Parker solo in all 12 keys. It's a challenge, it's fun and it's a learning experience. This is Mr Navarro doing the same. His technical ability is just so much higher than mine that's all.

(The Charlie Parker thing was a suggestion on FB not my idea)......

@stewblack forgive me if you already know this but the highly acclaimed track Donna Lee on Jaco Pastorius's first album is him playing a Charlie Parker solo piece on bass.... not sure if your FB mates might be sending you up? 😯

For the 12 keys, you could start at any note you like but if it's a 4 string bass maybe E as the first key - then each key based on the next note in ascending order (eg F, F#,G etc etc) until you get to the next E octave - you'll have covered all 12 then dependent on whether your solo is in major, minor or whatever mode it might be in (please - any theory guru correct me if I'm talking ballcocks!!) 😬👍

Edited by drTStingray
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

Well, as long as folks refrain from swearing, in the knowledge that these terms will be replaced with others, we'll consider that the cuss filter is doing its job. I'll leave the philosophy to others; we're just trying to keep the Forum as decent as we can. Not using these words is the solution, on this Forum at least. :|

I find the way I can't refer to Di*k Emery, Van Dyke or Betts without it changing the word to Richard mildly amusing (and also idiotic frankly) - the best one of all is the replacement of co*k as in co*k and bull by pink torpedo - this is surely worthy of a Carry on Film or Monty Python sketch - however if this is what it takes to keep the forum owners out of the courts who are we to moan - it does seem quite barmy when there must be far greater chance of litigation by annoyed CEOs of guitar making companies.

Come to think of it his first name is slang for lavatory in the US (sorry for any offence to anyone from the US - bathroom) - perhaps the word John should be added to the profanity filter 😂

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, drTStingray said:

@stewblack forgive me if you already know this but the highly acclaimed track Donna Lee on Jaco Pastorius's first album is him playing a Charlie Parker solo piece on bass.... not sure if your FB mates might be sending you up? 😯

For the 12 keys, you could start at any note you like but if it's a 4 string bass maybe E as the first key - then each key based on the next note in ascending order (eg F, F#,G etc etc) until you get to the next E octave - you'll have covered all 12 then dependent on whether your solo is in major, minor or whatever mode it might be in (please - any theory guru correct me if I'm talking ballcocks!!) 😬👍

The point about this exercise is its technical complexity and the fact that you need to internalise the solo and modulate it yourself (rather than read the dots) as the dots don’t exist in all 12 keys.

So, you might have the dots for a solo in Bb, but not for B etc. The only way to shift up the key is to memorise the solo, internalising the licks and establishing some serious Bebop vocab. 

Edited by Burns-bass

It seems everyone has missed that this is a promo video for the speaker. I’m pretty sure the guy realises it’s musical masturbation with limited practical application or value.

The guy is just demonstrating how the speaker works, and I personally prefer to watch a bit of gear demoed with some jazz noodling any day than endless, pointless, tuneless and soulless slap bass. 

6 hours ago, drTStingray said:

I only know if Mr Pastorius from this forum. However as my prejudice fades and my tastes expand I am open to learn from anyone. 

The exercise was suggested by Jeff Berlin in his FB group.