Why become a member? ×

Scat!

stewblack

If this has already been shared I'd love to say I'm sorry. But no. It bears sharing more than once. Virtuosity and a great creative, fun idea.

(Sorry to those who didn't realise that playing a Harley Benton really does make you a better player - this is the definitive proof)

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

I mean, he's only doing what we all do surely? I'm currently trying to play a couple bars of a Charlie Parker solo in all 12 keys. It's a challenge, it's fun and it's a learning experience. This is Mr Navarro doing the same. His technical ability is just so much higher than mine that's all.

(The Charlie Parker thing was a suggestion on FB not my idea)

Oh and if you watch his video on Music Theory it's clear he's a really intelligent nice bloke too.

But as has often been said before each to their own. I guess if it's not for you, you stop watching. Simples.

Edited by stewblack
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I mean, he's only doing what we all do surely? I'm currently trying to play a couple bars of a Charlie Parker solo in all 12 keys. It's a challenge, it's fun and it's a learning experience. This is Mr Navarro doing the same. His technical ability is just so much higher than mine that's all.

(The Charlie Parker thing was a suggestion on FB not my idea)

Which is fantastic (wish I had 10% of your dedication). But would anyone else want to watch/listen? 

2 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

Which is fantastic (wish I had 10% of your dedication). But would anyone else want to watch/listen? 

Who can say. I often fall into the trap of assuming when I see anything bass related that makes me go wow! I have to come here and share it. I forget that me enjoying something doesn't equate to every one enjoying it.

I was going to share some dude playing bebop on a double bass which was another piece of unbelievable playing but maybe I won't risk getting my buzz harshed.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, stewblack said:

Who can say. I often fall into the trap of assuming when I see anything bass related that makes me go wow! I have to come here and share it. I forget that me enjoying something doesn't equate to every one enjoying it.

I was going to share some dude playing bebop on a double bass which was another piece of unbelievable playing but maybe I won't risk getting my buzz harshed.

Don't get me wrong, I adore Ella. I'm just less keen on people playing bass over Ella.

Just now, stewblack said:

No, please do. Didn't intend to be 'harsh' and apologies if it came across that way.

32 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

But would anyone else want to watch/listen? 

Who cares? I can't speak for anyone else, but if my sole reason for playing was to do what other people wanted, I'd give up inside a week.

Edited by Rich
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

Pedants hat on......
isn’t it impossible by definition to play scat on a bass? I thought scat meant the human voice doing an improvised instrument-like performance?

Yes Ella is doing the scat this guy managed somehow to work out what she did and played along with her. 

35 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

No, please do. Didn't intend to be 'harsh' and apologies if it came across that way.

No I was trying to be clever and use bebop language - you're harshing my buzz man, it was a failed attempt at humour. 

Edited by stewblack
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3