Why become a member? ×

Most growly fender P?

Alberto Rigoni

The most growly Fender P depends on who is playing it and with what intent, rather than the bass itself. John Wetton, for example, played an alder/rosewood early 60's P with roundwounds ( probably Rotosound, still the best string ever for that kind of sound)  brilliantly  and never has there been such a growly and menacing  sound. An ash/maple 70's P bass could sound much more mellow, depending on who was playing it and what they were trying to achieve. 

1 hour ago, Bigguy2017 said:

Strings and pickup height are the factors here.

My Precision really growls with Rotosound roundwounds.

Absolutely - in general slightly more mids with be perceived as the pickup is brought closer to the strings. Round wound strings are a thumbs up from me too.

2 hours ago, such said:

Something like this? I heard a few of this guy's builds (got one on order too) and they tend to sound as if a rottweiler, a concrete mixer and a Royal Enfield struggling up a hill had a baby. 

FB_IMG_1603129860587.jpg

FB_IMG_1603130033954.jpg

I like that dudes YouTube vids, those buzz basses sound great.... Love to try one.

• Like 1

If you are stuck to a fender model, then stick a Creamery 58 P pick up in it - it will growl more than my dog at the postie.

I did a self build from a Mighty Mite body, Stuck a nice chunky Allparts maple neck, did a relic paint job of my choice (one of my mates hates it, but hates all gold!) and popped the creamery pick up in.

Its just the ticket!

240462DC-F0F7-4FB4-8BCE-3B992C68700E.thumb.jpeg.7836c6fee81cd3bd15091af9a9d2691b.jpeg0ED7EB48-583B-46F1-8085-84A6A088D8B6.thumb.jpeg.1ab33954f5c420e7a967933125cb5829.jpeg

• Like 3