Why become a member? ×

Nemesis 4x10 8ohm 4ohm WTF?

King Tut

Picked up an old Nemesis 4x10 from here a couple of years ago. Love the cab and it's performed flawlessly. Labelled at 8ohm. Having bought a valve amp recently, I put a tester across the speaker out and surprisingly it's come up at 4.4 Ohm. I can only assume that it's either been incorrectly labelled from manufacture or someone's rewired it. As 4.4 isn't either 4 or 8 I'm assuming I'd set the resistance on my amp to 4ohms as it's closer. Correct? Also, if stacked with an 8ohm cab, what would the resistance be then? 

What would happen if I set the amp to 8 ohms and ran it into a 4 ohm cab?

IMG_20201018_104907487.jpg

Edited by King Tut

Yes, your meter is measuring ohms dc resistance whereas cabs are rated to ohms ac impedance, close but not the same thing...

A single 8ohm (Z) speaker will read as less than 8 ohms on a dc resistance meter. With multiple speakers in the cab wired in different series/parallel combinations it's harder to tell what the value would be.

If it says 8 ohm on the back i'd stick with that.

• Thanks 1

Assuming the Eden cab you mention is actually an 8 Ohm cab, as labeled, since you can't measure the load the way you did, as the replies above explains, adding an additional 8 Ohm cab in parallel would give a 4 Ohm load, and in series 16 Ohm (assuming you are using 2 speaker outputs from the amp to connect the two 8 Ohm cabs it would most likely be 4 Ohm, as multiple speaker outputs on an amp are usually wired in parallel).

Edited by Baloney Balderdash