Why become a member? ×

Good 1U bass amps

la bam

Hi all,

Just wondering what the market is like for good 1U bass amps. Theres a possibility I can free up 1U in my rack, but no more. So i could use the 1U for a back up amp.

Specifically needs to be a bass amp (not just power amp) with a bit of character and eq.

I know 'good' is subjective, but I think you know what I mean - any decent make (subjective again I suppose!) that will do a good job.

Must be 500w approx if a class D. I know the 200w amps are good, but they would be found lacking in this set up.

Cheers.

Tecamp Puma 500/900. I’ve tried lots of different class d heads and imho these are up there with the best of them. Simple eq with a great sound ‘out of the box’. If the day ever comes that I have to retire my old Trace gear, I’ll be straight out looking for one of these.

Edited by Deedee
Typo
  • Like 2

I have 3 at the moment -

Demeter HBP-1 800D - Not cheap and you now have to import it from the USA yourself I think (I got mine through Bass Gear when it was going). Very flexible EQ (standard and parametric), tube preamp which sounds like the sound I’ve been hearing in my head. Granted some of this is due to the combinations of basses and cabs its used with but it just seems to sound great whatever I throw at it (not literally!!! 😊 )

TecAmp Puma 900 - well made, loud, great EQ and I love the "taste" control which acts a bit like an overall tone control-ish so you can keep your main EQ in place but go from vintage to modern with just a tweak of the control.

PJB D400 - Not gigged this one yet but looking forward to trying it out. Here's what I wrote about it in another thread "Just a quick update. I've been playing around with the PJB last weekend at home and comparing it to my Demeter for volume and tone, Using the same 4ohm Berg cab I found the 300w PJB to have plenty of volume against the 800w Demeter. My normal gig volume setting on the Demeter seemed to translate to the volume at 12 oclock on the PJB with room to spare. Pretty impressed and I'm sure that should I ever play a gig again (🤔😳🤣) there will be plenty of "me" to be heard 🙂 (If you're wondering, my nearest neighbour is 1/2 mile away so no problem there).

The Lo Bass knob is good to dial out wooly-ness whilst still keeping a full punchy sound. One thing I did notice was that at lower volumes the tone of the PJB seemed darker with less top end sizzle and snap. At low volume I had the Hi-mid and treble nearly full up but when increasing the volume I dropped them down to what you see in the photo below.”

I currently have them all racked in 2U Gator cases which for me is the easier way of transporting, setting up and keeping them safe.

8 hours ago, Deedee said:

Tecamp Puma 500/900. I’ve tried lots of different class d heads and imho these are up there with the best of them. Simple eq with a great sound ‘out of the box’. If the day ever comes that I have to retire my old Trace gear, I’ll be straight out looking for one of these.

This. Either a Tecamp Puma or an Eich T500/T900 (the Eich series is just the newer version of the Tecamp series)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...