Why become a member? ×

Darkglass crackly blend control

adamg67

I've got a Darkglass Vintage Ultra V2 with a minor issue, it all works properly but sometimes there's a crackle when you adjust the blend with the distortion on. It's not one of those horribly loud crackles that feels like it will damage anything and obviously you don't adjust the blend while you're playing but it's annoying. Apart from anything else I might want to sell it and I'd rather it was working properly first (I would advertise in whatever state it's in anyway either way, but will get less for it with a known issue). It was bought used on here so I can't just send it back.

I'm thinking it's maybe worth trying to spray the pot with some contact cleaner, but it's not easy to get at. I think I need to take all the knobs off, take the nuts off all the pots, nuts off the jack screws, unscrew the DI etc and then take the circuit boards out to do it, and there's no telling if there will be anywhere to spray the stuff once I do that.

I don't suppose anyone knows if it's worth all the dissassembly effort (and small risk of breaking something) ie is there a chance I'll be able to actually get any contact cleaner into the pot anyway on a pedal like that?

Edited by adamg67

Try turning the knob backwards and fowards, endstop to endstop vigorously (!) for a good couple of minutes. You always end up with a bit of dirt or corrosion on pots if they aren't used regularly, and contact cleaner isn't always the best answer. Giving the pot a bit of exercise should clean off the contact surfaces pretty well.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, TwoTimesBass said:

Try turning the knob backwards and fowards, endstop to endstop vigorously (!) for a good couple of minutes. You always end up with a bit of dirt or corrosion on pots if they aren't used regularly, and contact cleaner isn't always the best answer. Giving the pot a bit of exercise should clean off the contact surfaces pretty well.

Got to be worth a try, I'll give it a go tomorrow.