Why become a member? ×

Anybody used the Rotosound Nexus strings yet ?

markdavid

Anybody used these yet ? Id be interested to try these but at 30 quid a time im a bit reluctant
[url="http://www.gjsguitars.com/rotosound-nexus-nxb40-coated-stainless-steel-040100-bass-strings-set.ir?cName=strings-bass-guitar-rotosound"]http://www.gjsguitars.com/rotosound-nexus-...uitar-rotosound[/url]

It will be interesting to hear how they compare with Elixirs.

£23 a set from SoundUnlimited, £25 from StringBusters (£28 for Elixirs)

Having used Elixirs for a few years now I did try a different brand of coated a couple of years back (can't remember which) and they were awful.

If the Rotosound Nexus are as good sounding & long lasting as the Elixirs it'll be good.

[quote name='ped' post='437857' date='Mar 17 2009, 10:13 PM']I am over the moon with the way Elixirs last and sound, and I have learned the hard way that if it aint broke, don't fix it! Given my previous experiences with normal rotos I won't be checking them out![/quote]
Indeed. I think I shall need quite a few waxing lyrical about the new Ropewounds before I jump the Elixir ship.

Right, strings are on and so far so good.
Not had an enormous amount of playing time yet, but I'm pretty impressed.
They're not quite as bright as I thought they would be, but they are very thick and punchy, quite aggressive sounding.
The coating doesn't feel weird at all, in fact they feel like regular strings.
String tension, I'd say is a little softer than average, bit like DR Sunbeams, but they feel nice.

I'm afraid I can't comment on the longevity yet, obviously, but I will in due course.
Can't really comment on how they compare to other coated strings either, as I've never tried any others, but I have heard that some brands can feel a bit slippery, the Nexus strings feel pretty much normal as I mentioned before which was a nice surprise.

Got a practice on Wednesday and a gig on Friday, so I'll spill a bit more once I've had more proper playing time with them.

Oh one negative point, they have multicoloured silks on them, a different colour each string which kinda spoils the black evil look I was hoping for... :)

Cheers,
Eude

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='eude' post='439906' date='Mar 20 2009, 12:48 AM']Right, strings are on and so far so good.
Not had an enormous amount of playing time yet, but I'm pretty impressed.
They're not quite as bright as I thought they would be, but they are very thick and punchy, quite aggressive sounding.
The coating doesn't feel weird at all, in fact they feel like regular strings.
String tension, I'd say is a little softer than average, bit like DR Sunbeams, but they feel nice.

I'm afraid I can't comment on the longevity yet, obviously, but I will in due course.
Can't really comment on how they compare to other coated strings either, as I've never tried any others, but I have heard that some brands can feel a bit slippery, the Nexus strings feel pretty much normal as I mentioned before which was a nice surprise.

Got a practice on Wednesday and a gig on Friday, so I'll spill a bit more once I've had more proper playing time with them.

Oh one negative point, they have multicoloured silks on them, a different colour each string which kinda spoils the black evil look I was hoping for... :)

Cheers,
Eude[/quote]

How are they doing?

[quote name='OldGit' post='455733' date='Apr 6 2009, 06:48 PM']How are they doing?[/quote]

Hey guys,
the strings are OK, but not a revelation.
The tension is a little too soft I think, I thought they where a lot like Sunbeams, but they're a little softer.
They're not super bright, very nickel(y) but they're very even tone wise across the strings.

They look awesome, but the finish has chipped away, albeit only slightly on one string, incidentally after I played them with a plectrum.
They haven't changed at all brightness-wise since they've been on, and they've survived 2 practices and 2 gigs, which is quite impressive.
Overall, they're alright but I'm going to go for something a bit brighter when they eventually wear out, might try the DR Black Beauties...

Good buy if you like the sound of nickel strings and soft string tension, oh and they do look very very cool :)

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='Stacker' post='459121' date='Apr 10 2009, 10:54 AM']After a coupla decades on RS66 (and, occasionally, Warwick Reds) I am currentl running D'addario Pro Steels. Seriously, give 'em a go. Good VFM, too![/quote]

The Nexus strings are off.
The finish started flaking quite badly over the frets which makes me think they're no different to the spacers which where pulled a while ago.
The strings are coated, but not coated enough obviously...

Got some of those Pro Steels on now, very nice too :)

Cheers,
Eude

• 1 year later...

Typical! I have been waiting for a set of DR Cool Blues for my G&L in 40-100's, Bass Gallery called to say they can't get them in for a few months?

So! I did some digging and ordered a set of the Roto Nexus's Just 5 mins ago - Then i read this post Lol!!! :)

:rolleyes:

I haven't put any Nexus strings on my bassses yet as Rotosound don't do a 'high C' string (yet) - however, I bought a set of guitar (electric) strings to put on my widdley-fest guitar. The perceived lower tension works pretty well so far and they look rather cool. Thewound strings are black and the other three are gold in colour - which looks sweet against the gold harware and black text on the instrument.

I will see how they get on - but it won't be a fair test as this guitar doesn't get gigged, I only use it for writing with.

[quote name='dood' post='884139' date='Jul 2 2010, 04:49 PM']I haven't put any Nexus strings on my bassses yet as Rotosound don't do a 'high C' string (yet) - however, I bought a set of guitar (electric) strings to put on my widdley-fest guitar. The perceived lower tension works pretty well so far and they look rather cool. Thewound strings are black and the other three are gold in colour - which looks sweet against the gold harware and black text on the instrument.

I will see how they get on - but it won't be a fair test as this guitar doesn't get gigged, I only use it for writing with.[/quote]

The strings themselves are coloured?

[quote name='Kongo' post='886942' date='Jul 6 2010, 01:28 AM']The strings themselves are coloured?[/quote]

Well, maybe they aren't steel! - out of the packet they looked shiny like acoustic (bronze) strings or Optima Gold.

• 9 years later...

it's almost Halloween so a Zombie thread revival feels appropriate ..

The_Walking_Dead_TV_502082_3840x2400.0.thumb.jpg.4bafaad5aa7b0074b0ac4dc34872aa61.jpg

This is not just a random zombie thread revival however, I'm starting to look at string options for my inbound Shuker custom.  My first choice are Ernie Ball Cobalt flats but given I've gone for a very English build (English Elm drop top, guitar hand made in England by Jon, East Pre-Amp, Armstrong Pickups, Heistercamp Strap) I was looking for some UK branded strings.  Unfortunately NewTone only seem to do standard round wounds and the only other British string brand I know are Rotosound. 

Are there anymore opinions on the Nexus strings in the past 10 years, the black coating would look rather smart on the bass but how do they sound and feel?

Any other British string brands ??

Edited by PJ-Bassist