Why become a member? ×

Juliaplaysgroove.

bubinga5

I have to say I’m really not a fan of these bedroom play along people on YT - the track already has a great bass line so it’s very hard to work out how much is the original groove and how much they’re actually adding - or how many goes they’ve had to record it right. 
In this case I’ll make an exception - she has very accurate articulation and control over both the length and dynamic of notes, perfect timing and she’s got that elusive “groove” that so many on YT lack (e.g. The monstrously talented but nearly impossible to listen to Senri Kawaguchi on drums - technically perfect but I just can’t listen to it for very long).

On 17/10/2020 at 18:05, bubinga5 said:

Yes its a cover, yes she's a young bass player. But man can this girl play the bass.The detail in her playing is fantastic. imo. 

I was very surprised that the fantastic bass part on the original isn't a real bass but a plug in..It fooled me (thought it was the best "bass" song of this year)

She's really good and has such groove and style in her playing. 

Her version of Hair by GCS inspired me to learn it for the first time (despite having been a Larry Graham fan since the first GCS album appeared in the UK in the mid 70s and they appeared on a CBS sampler album along with other newbies, Earth Wind and Fire and Kokomo 😀) - based on the fact she says she is now 19, she was 14 when she posted Hair - and it's an absolutely brilliant interpretation 😳 better and more accurate than the SBL version in my view. 

https://youtu.be/vSyKWnxPfFQ

There are loads but the other stand out one for me currently is Dua Lipa Hallucinate - the groove, and her impro on that is so tasteful and accomplished 👍 

https://youtu.be/f40HDIwho_E

Both are well worth a listen - very inspiring stuff. 

Edited by drTStingray