Why become a member? ×

song for my father need notes eflat

doublebass3319

8 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

I do not understand your question.

Can you please ask again using different words?

That was not the most effusive of posts was it Jack, I saw it and assumed coded message to Ped.

Anagram competition anyone :) 

1 hour ago, Staggering on said:

We do it in A flat, the tenor player likes it there. First chord in the melody is Fm 9. Good song. 

In the Real Book Sixth Edition it is in A flat.

Song for my father is in F minor. A la the first chord. It’s definitely not a tune in a major key. Ab major and F minor are related keys so have the same key signature (4 flats). 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FDC484950 said:

Song for my father is in F minor. A la the first chord. It’s definitely not a tune in a major key. Ab major and F minor are related keys so have the same key signature (4 flats). 

Right you are, the Fm being the relative minor to A flat, same key signature of course. I was just referring to the key signature when I took a quick look at the chart but the song itself is in a minor key, I will try to be more clear next time, your post says what I should have said originally. When we play it we use a vamp over Gm7 as an intro to lead into the melody and that adds to the fun.

Edited by Staggering on

We use the Real books and/or iReal Pro in our music but I tend to play the root to 5th for each chord in this song - a little like a Steely Dan’s intro to ‘Ricky don’t lose that number’ - with a little variation around and it seems to work fine.

As has been said by others above. 

22 hours ago, JimmyN2 said:

We use the Real books and/or iReal Pro in our music but I tend to play the root to 5th for each chord in this song - a little like a Steely Dan’s intro to ‘Ricky don’t lose that number’ - with a little variation around and it seems to work fine.

I'm pretty sure Steely Dan directly took their intro for "Ricky..." from Song For My Father

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TPJ said:

Or any other bossa style song. There are loads of them.

Indeed, but I think that in this case the other instrumentation etc are also pretty close to Song For My Father so it sounds to me a bit closer than just a general 'style' thing

Edited by tinyd
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 19/10/2020 at 12:37, JimmyN2 said:

Steely Dan lifted the Horace Silver vamp 1:1 for that song.