Why become a member? ×

Musicman Stingray prices

ProfJames

Just now, peteb said:

Apparently, a lot of pro bass players in the Chicago area used to take both Stingrays and Jazz basses to gigs around town. This led to Lakland going into business producing the 4-94, which was meant to be able to do the jobs of both in one bass.  

Ah bloody!  Now I'll have to find out about Lakland basses!!!!

The prices have definitely risen over the last couple of years. I’ve bought and sold many, many Stingrays on these hallowed pages and a few years ago £650-800 was the going rate. However there are still bargains to be had if you shop around and eBay still seems to present a few if you’re willing to travel for the right bass. 

• Like 2

From 2005 MM introduced twin pick up Stingray 4 and 5s. I tend to use these as my 'versatile' instrument (now Stingray Specials) - it's wierd, on the twin pick up Rays I use I tend not to use the single pick up settings. 

I guess used prices will fluctuate with supply and demand. Even US Sub Stingrays will cost £500 + these days (they were cheaper than that new and were dropped partially because a used full fat Ray was only marginally more (we're talking 2003-6). At that time I had the opportunity to buy an immaculate 1977 inca silver pre EB previously owned by a famous player - for £1700 - as there were only about 150 of the inca silver basses made, this was really rare - and for standard coloured pre EB you would pay £2-3 K now. Prices have simply increased! 

• Like 1

When I decided my Stingray days were numbered ( only due to their weight, loved them otherwise) I sold off a few. Of course, this was just before s/h ones started to rise in price! Even the USA Subs appear to have done this too, at one time you could get them for around £350, now it’s £500 +.

As mentioned, with the Stingray this probably reflects the recent price hike of newer models. At a dealer near me they have an ex-demo Ray in stock at £1999, so maybe a grand for a tidy s/h one isn’t actually that bad?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FDC484950 said:

Don’t forget exchange rates. £-$ isn’t what it once was. 

I was over in SW Florida in 2007, I visited Sam Ash music store in Sarasota, I could have picked up a new Ray for $1200, the exchange rate at the time was two dollars to the pound, £600 !!

I still kick myself for not buying one at the time.

• Like 3

As a guaranteed Fender fanboi I have to admit that the quality of a Stingray is better. I’ve only had a few but there’s something about them that just feels more substantial in the quality. So I can see why both new and second hand they’re higher priced. 

• Like 1

Bought a new US Ray at the end of 2018 for £1895 I think. In the past as a wide eyed youth I'd seen them go new for 750 to 800 and everything in between but the exchange rates, inflation and alloy jet rising costs have pushed the prices up as they have for all instruments. Compared to what else is about in the market I think the Ray's are worth the cost, second hand even more so. 

I keep a jazz bass too because while the Ray does big and ballsy it doesn't do soft and subtle, it's incapable of it, so as versatile as it is I still think it misses something that a passive J type bass has. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Bought a new US Ray at the end of 2018 for £1895 I think. In the past as a wide eyed youth I'd seen them go new for 750 to 800 and everything in between but the exchange rates, inflation and alloy jet rising costs have pushed the prices up as they have for all instruments. Compared to what else is about in the market I think the Ray's are worth the cost, second hand even more so. 

I keep a jazz bass too because while the Ray does big and ballsy it doesn't do soft and subtle, it's incapable of it, so as versatile as it is I still think it misses something that a passive J type bass has. 

Oh but it does! It just doesn't sound like a Jazz doing soft and subtle. :)

But I think I know what you mean. I don't like the big body of a Jazz bass, or the skinny neck... but I've had more Jazz basses than any other kind, because there is just something about their sound that I always want to have one around. Or seven, as it once was. ;)

• Like 1

I sold my last USA SUB last year. I've had three 4 string and one 5 string. All sold for about as much as I paid for, so 350-400. I feel I should have waited another year or so and could have made a few quid! 

Got my 2002 Stingray (2eq natural/maple) in 2010 for £700 with case. Immaculate. Those days a new one was about £1100-1200. Ten years later, new ones are almost twice that, and they're different (not worse, but different). So 950-1000 for a used one in good condition doesn't seem unreasonable, and you can't get those new anymore anyway. When you look at what you can get from Fender for that money, the Stingrays look like excellent value.

I've been toying with the idea of a new one, I like the finishes, their lower weight, and the fact they are still unmistakeably a Stingray yet it sounds a little different. But the whole covid killing off gigs is making me reconsider, as live music was 90% of my playing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Err, I think you’re doing it wrong.

Open to advice. Mine's a 3 EQ version. 

Maybe, because I've always had other passive basses of some sort I've never bothered to try too hard, I just find the Ray to be like an excitable puppy. A Great Dane puppy. 

Just went back to Stingrays after doing the rounds of Js, Ps P/Js etc (it's an older, gorgeous '89 with the essential 2-band). It's just perfect. Holy moly...it thumps with old nickels on it. As mentioned on the thread, I will probably get a nice J bass to compliment the 'Ray. I 'm very attracted to that combo.

Edited by Cairobill
  • Like 1

Although I’m very much decided on my ‘main bass’, I’ve had fun searching for the perfect J, P and MM to have in my collection. I recently bought a MM which will arrive on Wednesday. I’ve had two before and sold them for stupid reasons so I’m hoping this one is a keeper. I do really love the sound of them, instantly recognisable and very versatile. 

• Like 4

There's a reasonable amount of variation as well as not all Rays are equal - I suspect what's being referred to are the standard production models in the more standard of colours in good original condition. For a Stingray Classic (2 band EQ, mute bridge, strings through, highly figured lacquered neck etc), they will be more costly - factor in rare, sought after colours or limited editions with cool features, and this will change the value. 

Stingray Specials are more expensive used and this reflects the £2000+ new price. 

As I said before, some of this will depend how desperate the seller is fur a quick sale (and dare I say it - time of year - just like cars purchases like basses around Christmas may be low on people's priority lists, so anyone wanting to sell may be willing to lower prices - applies to new as well).

For those wanting a mellow sounding Ray, but still with access to the in yer face stuff, a two pick up version helps a lot and can do a lot of other cool sounds at the flick of a switch - they've been around since 2005. 

Rays are one of the most sensitive basses to plucking intensity and position - move your hand closer to the neck for the mellower stuff - and don't pluck as hard. As I say, the two pick up version gives you broader palette but still the single pick up in your face ability. 

Hey @ped you'll have to do an NBD with pics for us 👍

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 5

21 hours ago, ProfJames said:

Looking at a 1995 model, 4H.......... any difference in build quality over specific years?

Don't know the answer to the question, but do know my '95 model 5H was the best bass I've owned, and five or six of them were Music Man Bongos and StingRays. No worries, AFAICS.

• Thanks 1