Why become a member? ×

Musicman Stingray prices

ProfJames

Just now, warwickhunt said:

Really?  I'd say they've been consistently undervalued.  Anything from £700 - £1000 for a bog-standard bass I'd consider 'normal'.

Ive not seen any for 700 for a long time........cheapest I've seen in a very good condition has been 900ish and they've been snapped up.  Not seen any sold on the forum for under 900 although I have not gone that far back....

Just now, warwickhunt said:

I bet yours sold within 24 hrs?  ;)  

Probs sold yours too cheap and you'll need to be on the ball to get one at that price... on any given day.  

You're probably right though it took a week or so!  Got a chance of one at about 950 but no movement on price so thought  would ask on here, appreciate your comments, thank you.  Reality check!  

14 minutes ago, ProfJames said:

I sold a Teal one for 700 about 18 months ago, regretted it and was thinking of replacing it, that's why the interest

I have a teal one, I think you let yours go too cheap, mine has been my only bass and has been gigged for many years, still in almost mint condition, don’t think I would ever consider selling it.

C65F67CC-0AEA-4EA0-8EE3-2A29763CAA97.jpeg

• Like 5

I think that a few years ago Stingrays were going for ridiculously low prices, for what is a bass that could cover pretty much any pro gig. I remember just missing out on a pretty nice Ray with a few knocks that went for around £570 or so, which was a silly amount. However, the market seems to have recovered a bit and they now seem to be going for comparable prices to similar American Fenders. 

Edited by peteb
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, steantval said:

I have a teal one, I think you let yours go too cheap, mine has been my only bass and has been gigged for many years, still in almost mint condition, don’t think I would ever consider selling it.

C65F67CC-0AEA-4EA0-8EE3-2A29763CAA97.jpeg

Why would you? That rig you have there would cover literally any gig you are likely to get that doesn't require a 5 string... 

• Like 1

The Stingray Specials are over £2k new - that probably has a bearing on used prices. They tend to have risen as the new prices have risen. 

I have said it before but my 93 fretless was £725 new.

I suspect the low priced used ones are either being sold by people who want a quick sale, have had some modification, or are in poor cosmetic condition. Some finishes are more sought after than others. 

However, whatever, you get a rock solid, well built, quality pro level bass. 

The earlier post about the short scale one was presumably a SBMM rather than a US MM (which are around £2k new). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, drTStingray said:

The Stingray Specials are over £2k new - that probably has a bearing on used prices. They tend to have risen as the new prices have risen. 

I suspect the low priced used ones are either being sold by people who want a quick sale, have had some modification, or are in poor cosmetic condition. Some finishes are more sought after than others. 

The earlier post about the short scale one was presumably a SBMM rather than a US MM (which are around £2k new). 

Looking at a 1995 model, 4H.......... any difference in build quality over specific years?

2 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

About 5 years ago, there seemed to be a glut of s/h Stingrays and there were some real bargains around. The market does seem to have corrected itself a bit, although I know a few guys who are now asking silly prices then wondering why they won't sell. 

I do think that new MM basses are somewhat overpriced. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ProfJames said:

Looking at a 1995 model, 4H.......... any difference in build quality over specific years?

In 95 they were all 4H...! I have been told that early 90s three band Rays (up to 95) are ones to look at, along with early Ernie Ball two band ones. However, my experience is pretty limited as I've only owned early 90s 4 strings and a couple of early 2000s 5 strings. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, peteb said:

In 95 they were all 4H...! I have been told that early 90s three band Rays (up to 95) are ones to look at, along with early Ernie Ball two band ones. However, my experience is pretty limited as I've only owned early 90s 4 strings and a couple of early 2000s 5 strings. 

Great knowledge on this forum for novices like myself, thank you 

13 minutes ago, peteb said:

They're pretty consistent throughout - one of the areas Ernie Ball sought to improve was consistency and quality of manufacturing.

They have always had a level of hand finishing (eg necks) that put them on a par, manufacturing/ quality wise with say Fender CS team built, or PRS more recently. 

The basses up to about 2000 often have heavily figured necks - as do the 2010-20 Stingray Classics.

In terms of price of the Stingray Special, for anyone who has played/owned them, they have exquisite necks and really are excellent basses. 

The price of new instruments has generally risen over the years - apparently a factor of market conditions and manufacturing costs - even some Mexican Fenders are well over £1000 these days (a decade plus ago that would be unbelievable). 

This site has a lot of info on the gestation of the Stingray over the years/decades. 

http://www.musicmanbass.global/

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, ProfJames said:

These responses make me wonder am I suffering a bad GAS attack?  With two Sandbergs and a Magnum am I really in need of a Stingray?  Or am I just whizzed off with myself at letting one go so cheap??

The thing about Stingrays is that they are pretty unique and you can still sometimes pick them up pretty cheap. I generally gig jazz basses, but I do like having a Stingray as an option. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ProfJames said:

Ive not seen any for 700 for a long time........cheapest I've seen in a very good condition has been 900ish and they've been snapped up.  Not seen any sold on the forum for under 900 although I have not gone that far back....

When I was looking for one, about 18 months ago, I couldn't find one for under £1000, of course, as soon as I forked out a grand for one basschat was deluged with Stingrays going for £800 a pop.

That's the way the cookie crumbles :(

• Haha 1

Just now, gjones said:

When I was looking for one, about 18 months ago, I couldn't find one for under £1000, of course, as soon as I forked out a grand for one basschat was deluged with Stingrays going for £800 a pop.

That's the way the cookie crumbles :(

I know the feeling too well...........

2 minutes ago, ProfJames said:

That's not helped at all sir!!!

Apparently, a lot of pro bass players in the Chicago area used to take both Stingrays and Jazz basses to gigs around town. This led to Lakland going into business producing the 4-94, which was meant to be able to do the jobs of both in one bass.  

• Like 1