Why become a member? ×

Where do i stand legally

fleabag

Bought a brand new combo about 5 months ago, everything fine till one day it went awol with a loud humming, even with no bass connected and amp volume on nought.

Contacted seller ( not manufacturer ) and they had it collected and sorted. Came back today with a load of outer damage, which i photo'd and sent to seller.  The damage was only evident after unpacking, and there was no signs of damage to the box.  Suspicious me thinks they've sent me a different combo to the one i sent back for an electrical repair.

I didnt mind getting the electrical repair done, and i believe the legal side of things say that you must give them a chance to put things right, which i have done.  But i will not accept  damage to the  combo's wooden cab exterior, which is cracked, split and dented and it shows.  I have not received a reply yet,  because its only just happened, and have to wait for seller to answer. Meanwhile, its past Paypal's 180 days so in the event of them trying to fight this by blaming me or whatever, what to do next ?

Not sure if the Bank can help after this amount of time.  If they try to fob me off, what's my next step ... 

Hey mate, are there any serial numbers you can check, if so a quick email to the manufacturer might confirm whether the one you have is the one you bought. Sound however like they've done a table top repair without protecting the unit. I had that exact same issue with a manufacturer very popular on this forum, fixed one thing, broke several others through sheer lack of care :(

• Like 1

If it's a business under CRA 2015 goods should be of satisfactory quality.

Under s24(5) of the CRA2015 if a customer requests a repair or replacement and the goods still do not confirm with the requirement to be of satisfactory quality, you can insist on a refund.

Edited by Jakester
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Hey mate, are there any serial numbers you can check, if so a quick email to the manufacturer might confirm whether the one you have is the one you bought. Sound however like they've done a table top repair without protecting the unit. I had that exact same issue with a manufacturer very popular on this forum, fixed one thing, broke several others through sheer lack of care :(

That sounds like an option -  i may do that depending on what the seller says.

5 minutes ago, Jakester said:

If it's a big company under CRA 2015 goods should be of satisfactory quality.

Under s24(5) of the CRA2015 if a customer requests a repair or replacement and the goods still do not confirm with the requirement to be of satisfactory quality, you can insist on a refund.

I havent plugged the combo in, so dont know if the electrical repair has been sorted.  I dont want to touch the thing so i can truthfully say all i did was unpack it.

I will refer to those acts if i need to, thanks  Jakester

It was these people, through Ebay

https://www.hwaudio.co.uk/

Edited by fleabag

Ok, the guy i've been dealing with has replied and is having it collected.  I must say, they do reply very quickly and have done since this started a week or so ago.  So,  praise for their communication.  I'm just thinking ahead regards where i stand, just in case they do an about turn.

Aye, i was trying to get ahead of the game just in case.

Funnily, when they first  told me they were collecting for the eletrical fault, they arranged the courier, and said if i didnt pack it properly, they wouldnt be liable for damage.  Fair enough, but i said once it's out of my hands,  i can't be responsible for any courier lobbing this about and wrecking it, which can happen even with adequate packing. They told me, no, if it arrives with damage it will be my fault.

Ironic that they sent it back and it was damaged by the courier.

Edited by fleabag

57 minutes ago, Dankology said:

Is the large shop in Bolton part of a chain with a slightly amusing name?

(amusing to someone with my puerile sense of humour, anyway)

Is that the chain where you walk in and the sales assistant says "WHAT DO YOU WANT? CAN'T YOU SEE IT'S THE WROING TIME OF THE MONTH?"

1 hour ago, Dankology said:

Is the large shop in Bolton part of a chain with a slightly amusing name?

(amusing to someone with my puerile sense of humour, anyway)

5 hours ago, fleabag said:

I havent plugged the combo in, so dont know if the electrical repair has been sorted.  I dont want to touch the thing so i can truthfully say all i did was unpack it.

I will refer to those acts if i need to, thanks  Jakester

It was these people, through Ebay

https://www.hwaudio.co.uk/

I like HW, they seem like decent people.

Although I do recall one of the staff threatening to impale my friend on a Les Paul about 25 years ago... The friend did have it coming in truth.

I was wondering if this might have been Rimmers, who I recently had a slightly underwhelming experience with.

53 minutes ago, paul_c2 said:

That looks like damage in transit. Hopefully the shop can claim off the courier no worries, then send another one which won't be so badly damaged.

It does, but not a mark on the outer packaging.  Strange, as the damage is on at least 2 corners , one of the sides and the front panel

4 minutes ago, Dankology said:

I like HW, they seem like decent people.

Although I do recall one of the staff threatening to impale my friend on a Les Paul about 25 years ago... The friend did have it coming in truth.

I was wondering if this might have been Rimmers, who I recently had a slightly underwhelming experience with.

They've been excellent with communication, answering the same day. I wasnt that impressed with any damage incurred by the courier being my fault, even if i had packed it properly for such events, which i did.  Ironic that it was damaged when they sent it back.

9 minutes ago, fleabag said:

It does, but not a mark on the outer packaging.  Strange, as the damage is on at least 2 corners , one of the sides and the front panel

Hmmmm......if there was no damage on the outer packaging when they returned the amp, do you think the damage might have occurred in transit from you to them?

I dont think so. They would have informed me of damage had it arrived like that. They had told me in advance they wont be liable for any damage when i sent it back.

And the fact that when i reported the damage today, the response was an apology, and advice that they would be collecting it  again.

I dont mind a an electrical repair, but i'm not in any way going to accept any form of repair on this now. because its pretty worthless

Hopefully you will get this sorted satisfactorily for you and if so well done to the retailer. I always think the best judge of a company is how they respond to a problem.

Things can go wrong for a variety of reasons, accidentally or not, but a swift apology and appropriate repair/ replacement/ refund sorts the problem out and makes fo happy customers.

Some customers are wan*ers though and try it on and make stores staff lives hell. Not suggesting that this is the case here at all. 

Good luck with it, it sounds hopeful for you so far. Let us know how it goes

Jon

14 hours ago, fleabag said:

Yes, i guess that is the case, and of course i cannot accept damage.

Here's the photos i took a few minutes ago after unwrapping

Bassmate damage 1.jpg

Bassmate damage 2.jpg

Bassmate damage 3.jpg

Bassmate damage 5.jpg

That's been dropped, hard.

It might have displaced the magnet inside the speaker too.

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Like 1