Why become a member? ×

DAW incase of full lockdown help

Slappindabass

Back in March, I was in a similar position to the OP,  in that, in the absence of gigs, my band needed to start working remotely to do some videos for virtual festivals, stand alone music videos and demos for our next album.

We have a bloke who does our video editing so myself and the singer just needed audio recording capability. Although I have an old version of Cakewalk, I'd never really learned to use it properly, but Audacity was simple enough for both of us to use with a minimal learning curve. We both bought the Behringer Uphoria UM2 interface and that combination has been enough to do recordings across 4 different locations, for a bunch of videos, virtual festivals and a 'lockdown' EP.

The final track mixing and mastering was done by our drummer using Pro Tools, so I'm not suggesting that Audacity alone will produce a slick sounding album... but if the OP just needs something to allow him to record bass to audio files that other band members send by email or whatever, and do basic mixes, then Audacity will do that just fine with no need for an understanding of what aux sends or audio busses are.

Our singer can record himself using Audacity, and the nearest he gets to technical expertise is plugging the mic XLRs into the PA. It's really that simple.

Edited by TheRev

17 hours ago, skidder652003 said:

Garageband isn't a video editor. As far as I can tell you can only load a video and then add sound to it (from garageband). You can't edit the actual video, ie cut scenes, add transitions, have multiple camera timelines etc.  For that you need a dedicated video editing program like adobe premiere pro, Final cut or, as I use, Da Vinci Resolve (which is free). The advantage of Da Vinci Resolve as well as being free is that it also has it's own built in DAW called Fairlight should you wish to use it, it even lets you load in your own VST plug-ins. It's head and shoulders the best free video editor out there and I've tried loads. Personally, I do my audio capture with Garageband, mix the audio in Reaper and then transfer to Da Vinci Resolve, it sounds a hassle but it really isn't, everything gets saved on a usb stick anyway and it's just a question of loading from there in each program.

I'm probably getting confused about garageband, it's a while since I used it,  it seemed to be a lot quicker than my pc method.  I use ableton for audio and premiere for video.  It all just seems over the top and slow for my needs.

I'll take a look at davinci.

19 hours ago, TheRev said:

Back in March, I was in a similar position to the OP,  in that, in the absence of gigs, my band needed to start working remotely to do some videos for virtual festivals, stand alone music videos and demos for our next album.

The final track mixing and mastering was done by our drummer using Pro Tools,

Wow!  Drummer using Pro Tools,  our drummer can't even use, or own a smart phone and doesn't do emails, only snail mail.  He occasionally answers the land line though.

On 18/10/2020 at 09:25, skidder652003 said:

I know everyone will recommend what they're currently using (and why not?) if it's good, so I can also recommend alongside the focusrite gear,  the Audient iD4, the pre amps sound terrific and the DI line in for guitar and bass is amazing

https://studiocare.com/products/audient-id4-2-in-2-out-high-performance-usb-interface-with-scroll-control?variant=31460406460462&currency=GBP&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google+shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjwz6_8BRBkEiwA3p02Vf1pYOZdPsDffsC23BWH1eRB_RCwrJR9ut9ZadVL6_uBsebUZtuLpxoCYhwQAvD_BwE

That looks a nice neat bundle thanks.

On 18/10/2020 at 09:33, Drax said:

Blimey poor OP. What a barrage of choices and lingo! :) 

I use neither but Scarlett and Reaper, job done.  

I think i am just about keeping up!😄