Jump to content
Count Bassy

Slightly overrated bass palyers

Recommended Posts

Yes you guessed it: Bass players that are pretty good, and almost, but not quite, as good as people say.

Edited by Count Bassy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Me!

No........ wait.....

Nobody says I'm good. 

Beat me to it .

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Me!...

No... wait...

I thought it said 'Slightly overweighted bass palyers'...

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Count Bassy said:

Yes you guessed it: Bass players that are pretty good, and almost, but not quite, as good as people say.

Is it a club? Where do I sign up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Difficult to say as most bassists are essentially unrated. I say this as most audience members and music listeners are fairly ambivalent to the bassist in a band they're listening to, unless they are a musician and even then they might not be too bothered. As per the mainly supportive nature of our instrument's role.

Maybe Mike Dirnt fits this category?

Edited by EdLib-3
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kim Deal of the Pixies springs to mind.

For sure she has a distinctive bass syle/sound (and persona), but it is based on root note patterns and often the contribution to the Pixies sound is/was over-stated.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok I'll put myself in the firing line.

I can't stand Jaco.

Noodling noise pollution. Can't argue with the guys ability, but there was nothing musical about his playing. 

I don't get it. 

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, paul_c2 said:

Scott Devine

 

I love him like a brother, but I don't think he could play a whole song (or a whole verse of a song for that matter), without improvising his way out of the band... also, his notes get so short that he's at risk of becoming a percussionist.

After saying all that, I've never seen him play in a band -- so he'd probably be fine. 😬

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see this thread going down hill quickly

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pino Palladino. Nothing wrong with him but the plaudits are a bit hyperbolic.

Guy Pratt. Funny with a small F but otherwise a decent enough player rather than a mover or shaker. 

Geddy Lee. About 10 minutes of tough lines throughout his entire career (I do love Rush) otherwise it's pretty unremarkable.

Cliff Burton. Never saw what the fuss was about. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

I can see this thread going down hill quickly

I think that's what was in the OP's mind. 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they’re making money at it, they’re not overrated.

I’m still working on my financial deficit.

Therefore...I am massively overrated.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some Surprising names coming up in this thread! Clearly showing one mans trash is another man's treasure!

I'll play though!Adam Clayton,- made millions,dated supermodels, has more signature basses than you can shake a stick at. Plays F all on bass, that doesn't get in the way of his over ego guitarist. Man's laughing his tits off.

Peter Hook - plays bass like a guitarist and not in a good way! Gets a signature Yamaha.

Here's one, Joe Dart!!!!

Rocco Prestia clone, anyone under 25 and addicted to youtube thinks he's a bass God,gets a signature musicman,  Hell of a right hand on him though 😁

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NikNik said:

John Giblin

OVERrated? Really? How so? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, EdLib-3 said:

Difficult to say as most bassists are essentially unrated. I say this as most audience members and music listeners are fairly ambivalent to the bassist in a band they're listening to, unless they are a musician and even then they might not be too bothered. As per the mainly supportive nature of our instrument's role.

Maybe Mike Dirnt fits this category?

Darn right. The only people who tend to rate bass players either way.....are other bass players. This contrasts with electric guitarists where every man, woman and their dog has an opinion

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lee650 said:

Some Surprising names coming up in this thread! Clearly showing one mans trash is another man's treasure!

I'll play though!Adam Clayton,- made millions,dated supermodels, has more signature basses than you can shake a stick at. Plays F all on bass, that doesn't get in the way of his over ego guitarist. Man's laughing his tits off.

Peter Hook - plays bass like a guitarist and not in a good way! Gets a signature Yamaha.

Here's one, Joe Dart!!!!

Rocco Prestia clone, anyone under 25 and addicted to youtube thinks he's a bass God,gets a signature musicman,  Hell of a right hand on him though 😁

I think Joe Dart is quite an impressive player on a technical level (and I'm a lot older than 25). I just can't stand the smugness of the guys in Vulfpeck though. It's not like they're doing anything other than recycling 70s and early 80s smooth funk jams

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is really subjective.

 

Cliff Williams, not adventurous at all and I get bored playing his bass lines.

Would I see that bigger picture, play his bass lines and perform where and when AC/DC have played for over 40 years.

Oh yes I would. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a prime candidate... but I'm not going to go there. Moving swiftly on before this thread goes south...

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...