Why become a member? ×

Slightly overrated bass palyers

Count Bassy

18 minutes ago, owen said:

And yet, everyone who has been mentioned at the very least has, or in general is, earning a living playing bass. So by definition they are doing it right. Cos we would all love to. Maybe some of us have and have moved on. Maybe some of us still are. It is a lesson that there are so few "name" players on here because there is always someone who wants to have a pop. It is like my mate who is 6'5" and huge going out on the town. Every bloke who wants to prove themselves wants to fight him. Why do forums get such a kick from saying "yeah, not bad but...... you know......"?

Everyone who has been mentioned has had commercial success which means they do not have to have a day job. They must be proper gutted that they do not measure up to what the BC Massive see as doing it right. 

As artists, whether it be music, or painting, cinema, they are all open to criticism, rightly or wrongly. Goes with the territory of the job.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

Although... my mum was a Beatles fan, and was somewhat nonplussed when I told her that Mr. McCartney was a bass player, rather than a guitarist.

He may well be the most loved bass player by folks who never knew there was such a thing as bass... ever.

Haha. So.. your mum thinks Macca is seriously overrated as a bass player 🤔 

He’s strangely not far off the recurring ‘famous people who also play bass’ category on here 

8 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

Not a bad point!

He's not only known more as a Beatle and a songwriter than a bass player, but there are are lots of people out there who don't know what a bass player even is! 😄

I think there are lots of people out there who don't know what a songwriter is either!

• Like 1

It's hard to separate players who are not to my taste from those who hold a higher standing than their playing deserves, but...

The only ones who spring to mind are Steve Bailey and Cody Wright. Not sure how the former got to be chair of the bass dept at Berklee, while the latter seems to be the poor man's Bobby Vega.

39 minutes ago, TKenrick said:

It's hard to separate players who are not to my taste from those who hold a higher standing than their playing deserves, but...

The only ones who spring to mind are Steve Bailey and Cody Wright. Not sure how the former got to be chair of the bass dept at Berklee, while the latter seems to be the poor man's Bobby Vega.

Cody - indeed, he'd never popped into my head but yeah, can get with your comments.

For me, there's something about his personality that doesn't come across too well on social media. That's true for a quite a few bass players... some are absolutely loathsome.   

12 minutes ago, Rocker said:

If the bass player in a band does what is required of a bass player in that band, he is doing a great job.  So what if he plays root notes or basic patterns.  If it works for the band, it works.

Have to say this is pretty much what I think.  Seems to me to be a lot of snobbery/jealousy involved here.  Adam Clayton seems to get universally panned for playing root notes.  Cliff Williams get universally applauded for playing root notes.  I guess AC/DC has more street creds than U2 😂

• Like 3

On 17/10/2020 at 12:47, Lozz196 said:

Who knows if Dee Dee Ramone could play slap-bass in the way that Flea does? Certainly not needed in The Ramones but that doesn’t mean he couldn’t (tho I do have my suspicions it wasn’t his bag).

On the strength of his short lived rap career, I'd be inclined to agree! 

5 hours ago, Rocker said:

If the bass player in a band does what is required of a bass player in that band, he is doing a great job.  So what if he plays root notes or basic patterns.  If it works for the band, it works.

While that is undoubtedly true, I'm not sure that means that the bass player in that band is overrated (or underrated for that matter)

4 hours ago, Paul S said:

Have to say this is pretty much what I think.  Seems to me to be a lot of snobbery/jealousy involved here.  Adam Clayton seems to get universally panned for playing root notes.  Cliff Williams get universally applauded for playing root notes.  I guess AC/DC has more street creds than U2 😂

I think that Cliff might be a slightly more accomplished bass player, but that is essentially correct. Both are playing simple lines, which are exactly what is required for those two stadium filing rock bands.  

Edited by peteb

5 hours ago, Paul S said:

Agree, something I’ve never really understood (not the street cred but, AC/DC much cooler).

6 hours ago, Paul S said:

He doesn’t always play root notes, listen to “please” and “bad” but sometimes that’s just what Is needed and we as bass players should not shy away from that as if we were guitards...