Why become a member? ×

Slightly overrated bass palyers

Count Bassy

Difficult to say as most bassists are essentially unrated. I say this as most audience members and music listeners are fairly ambivalent to the bassist in a band they're listening to, unless they are a musician and even then they might not be too bothered. As per the mainly supportive nature of our instrument's role.

Maybe Mike Dirnt fits this category?

Edited by EdLib-3
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, paul_c2 said:

Scott Devine

I love him like a brother, but I don't think he could play a whole song (or a whole verse of a song for that matter), without improvising his way out of the band... also, his notes get so short that he's at risk of becoming a percussionist.

After saying all that, I've never seen him play in a band -- so he'd probably be fine. 😬

• Like 1

Pino Palladino. Nothing wrong with him but the plaudits are a bit hyperbolic.

Guy Pratt. Funny with a small F but otherwise a decent enough player rather than a mover or shaker. 

Geddy Lee. About 10 minutes of tough lines throughout his entire career (I do love Rush) otherwise it's pretty unremarkable.

Cliff Burton. Never saw what the fuss was about. 

• Like 1

Some Surprising names coming up in this thread! Clearly showing one mans trash is another man's treasure!

I'll play though!Adam Clayton,- made millions,dated supermodels, has more signature basses than you can shake a stick at. Plays F all on bass, that doesn't get in the way of his over ego guitarist. Man's laughing his tits off.

Peter Hook - plays bass like a guitarist and not in a good way! Gets a signature Yamaha.

Here's one, Joe Dart!!!!

Rocco Prestia clone, anyone under 25 and addicted to youtube thinks he's a bass God,gets a signature musicman,  Hell of a right hand on him though 😁

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EdLib-3 said:

Difficult to say as most bassists are essentially unrated. I say this as most audience members and music listeners are fairly ambivalent to the bassist in a band they're listening to, unless they are a musician and even then they might not be too bothered. As per the mainly supportive nature of our instrument's role.

Maybe Mike Dirnt fits this category?

Darn right. The only people who tend to rate bass players either way.....are other bass players. This contrasts with electric guitarists where every man, woman and their dog has an opinion

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lee650 said:

Some Surprising names coming up in this thread! Clearly showing one mans trash is another man's treasure!

I'll play though!Adam Clayton,- made millions,dated supermodels, has more signature basses than you can shake a stick at. Plays F all on bass, that doesn't get in the way of his over ego guitarist. Man's laughing his tits off.

Peter Hook - plays bass like a guitarist and not in a good way! Gets a signature Yamaha.

Here's one, Joe Dart!!!!

Rocco Prestia clone, anyone under 25 and addicted to youtube thinks he's a bass God,gets a signature musicman,  Hell of a right hand on him though 😁

I think Joe Dart is quite an impressive player on a technical level (and I'm a lot older than 25). I just can't stand the smugness of the guys in Vulfpeck though. It's not like they're doing anything other than recycling 70s and early 80s smooth funk jams

• Like 3