Why become a member? ×

Bacchus... info needed.

carlsim

Hi all... I'm being offered a Bacchus WL-533 (Phillipine model) being offered as a partial trade on a bass but I have no idea of the value of these basses. It sounds good, looks good, right scale length and measurements all look good so it will be a bit of a punt...

What's the value? Anyone bought one recently? Anyone have one which they can share some info on?

Thanks! 

Just now, BlueMoon said:

Global series Bacchus basses retail new around the £750 - 900 range in Europe.

S/H values according to condition, age, active/passive etc. Ballpark £400 to 600, I'd guess.

link for reference (new basses): https://japanguitar-handmade.com/gb/33-global

Hope this helps.

Top job - thanks for that. Any personal experience?

I have a 4 string passive Bacchus from the Craft series, which is constructed in Japan from parts maybe made in the Phillipines. I got it s/h quite recently.

Positives:

Nice resonant, fairly light body. Plays easily and the neck is fast. Has a push/pull tone switch, which I think switches the pu's from series to parallel. Adds to the classic jazz sound.

Negatives:

Oiled finish looks nice but dings quite easily. 

I don't care much for the neck binding (a bit gaudy on this paricular bass).

Tuners are a bit cheap.......one developed a rattle where the clover leaf rivet has come loose.....fixed with superglue. May replace with Gotohs

Hi, Bacchus basses, I currently own TWO, one is Global Series and the other is a WL Handcrafted fiver, 2020 limited edition (anniversary or something), both have active electronics. 

Craftmanship on both is great, nice jazz sound with an active preamp. I have rather small hands and pay a lot of attention to nut width, these guys have great nut width and are very comfortable to play. Unlike some LowEnd I have played that I am sure you can land a small aircraft on the fingerboard :).  

Price wise, well The HandCrafted ones retail at about 2700GBP, and the Globals around 1100GBP. 

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.