Why become a member? ×

Headphone(s) recommendation.

NancyJohnson

10 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

Ah, sorry.  Looking at beyerdynamic's website, there are at least three slightly different  DT 770:

• DT 770 Pro
  • DT 770 Studio ("Studio nameplate (model identical in construction with DT 770 PRO, 80 Ohm)")
  • DT 770 M ("extremely high isolation from ambient noise").

You just beat me to that :D

As an addendum to my earlier post a few months ago,  I  got the Studiospares m1000 Mark 2. I  think they were £59.

They have a more robust headband now,  still have removable cable and now come with 1 set of leather ish pads and 1 set of velour ones, similar to Beyer. Sound wise they are quite similar to the mk 1 but  slightly clearer top end. I always found the mk 1 a bit shy there. The m2000 is the same in open backed design. 

• Like 1

Sorry, this thread has come up a few times and I've been meaning to post the cans I got.

Eventually went with a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M40X.  £78.00.  Obligatory stock photo below.  Happy Christmas to me.

Flat repsonse, comfy (especially over glasses, once in a while).  While I wouldn't describe myself as having a Tefal-Man sized head, fully extended they are on the cusp of fitting, so unless you're John Merrick's long lost sibling, you should be fine.  I love the fact that these are highlighting (otherwise unheard elements of) clipping on some of our recordings (much to the irritation of our producer who isn't picking this up on his studio monitors).

image.thumb.png.c3c76d3c6bf1e74e50fe54b32715a50e.png

On 25/11/2020 at 08:24, dmccombe7 said:

Went thru same last year when my old Sennheiser HD280's started to fall apart with age.

Read lots of reviews and finally decided on Beyer Dynamic DT770 PRO. I found them to have a clearer or sharper bottom end without losing the depth of bass. It means i can hear the bass far more clearly than the old Senns which had a little bit more boom (i use that word very lightly as the Senns have been great headphones for many many years but it best describes what i'm talking about.) Overall sound quality is far superior to my old Senns.

The DT770 PRO's are far lighter and more comfortable on my head. Headband is tighter but not uncomfortable. I use them mostly with my laptop but occasionally with Hifi separates. 

One other thing i found was a great bonus was the covering on the earpieces is far nicer on the ear if wearing for long periods. The Senns had "leather" type material whereas the BD's have a softer fabric material

With a bit of searching you can get them at a decent price too (currently £109 on Idealo to £135 on Amazon) 

I went for the 80 ohm version. I bought them from Amazon as they have a better return if i don't like them or something not quite right with them. To be fair i can't fault them

Dave 

image.jpeg.47168ada763348cbb31c781f60887ec0.jpeg

+1. Comfortable good sounding earphones and 3m of cable which is very handy whilst playing standing up

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Crusoe said:

I think I need a better pair of headphones. I have a pair of Sony, but tonight I plugged them into my amp (Fender Rumble 25) for the first time and the sound was awful. It sounded badly overdriven, even though the volume was low.

Have you tried a different source?

I have some Audio Technica ATH M50X. Had them a good few years now. I have worn them so much there is no leather stuff left on the pads! I must get around to replacing them. They have been thrown around, dropped, had loads of volume put through them, and still work beautifully. Very much worth the initial extra outlay of money in my opinion. I am more attached to these headphones than any bass I have owned!

The sound quality is top notch, not only great for music production, but due to a slight bias towards the low end, basses sound wonderful through them. 

20210320_114209.jpg

Based partly on reviews here and also on other reviews, I went for a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M20X - smallest bedroom is now my office, complete with hi-fi system, so transferred my Sennheiser HD219s into there and bought these for downstairs computer/hi-fi/recording purposes.  Found them very impressive, not sure if it was psychological but I heard detail in songs that I'd not picked up on before. Haven't worn them for an extended period so not sure about long-term comfort, but they seem comfortable enough, despite being sprung disconcertingly like a bear trap when putting them on.

2 hours ago, tauzero said:

Based partly on reviews here and also on other reviews, I went for a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M20X - smallest bedroom is now my office, complete with hi-fi system, so transferred my Sennheiser HD219s into there and bought these for downstairs computer/hi-fi/recording purposes.  Found them very impressive, not sure if it was psychological but I heard detail in songs that I'd not picked up on before. Haven't worn them for an extended period so not sure about long-term comfort, but they seem comfortable enough, despite being sprung disconcertingly like a bear trap when putting them on.

Bought my wife a pair of those for her tablet and i was more than impressed with them.

Dave