Why become a member? ×

Headphone(s) recommendation.

NancyJohnson

I'm interested in these replies. I'm looking for new head phones, my existing (cheap Sony) ones are OK, but I think/ know I could do better.

Sadly, these days it doesn't take much to exceed the capability of my hearing. So I'm looking for a good match for bad ears.

23 minutes ago, chris_b said:

... a good match for bad ears.

Bad ears, you say..? That rings a bell that I can't hear (and you'll have to speak up, lad :$ ...). I'll repeat my recommendation of Superlux; mine are HD 669; there are other models, but these suit me fine, and are not expensive.
Hope this helps. B|

• Like 1

Just checked my Sennheiser phones - they are the HD201 model. Possibly now discontinued although still some for sale at around £25, sound great and very strong too yet not heavy. Think replacement ear pads are available if you need them as well. The replacement model seems to be the HD206 which are still in the £30 zone. 

Studiospares own brand M1000 phones are pretty decent for the money. Detachable replaceable cable, spare pair of earpads included, and I believe the individual phone part is available as a replacement part. They're pretty robust too, I'm always treading on the cable and dropping them in my tiny studio space. They're about £50

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Marillionred said:

This is why I use Beyer Dynamics DT150s - many of the parts are replaceable. They are unfortunately twice the OP budget, but you really do get what you pay for, and as a bassist you'll love the extended bass response. They are not over bassy, they just go deep where lesser models start to distort.

beyerdynamic DT 150 Headset: Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments

I had some DTs for recording. I absolutely hated them, couldn’t wait to get rid of them. In fact every set of Beyers I’ve ever used anywhere, I’ve hated. Only ever used them for recording and/or mixing though. 

21 hours ago, 4000 said:

I had some DTs for recording. I absolutely hated them, couldn’t wait to get rid of them. In fact every set of Beyers I’ve ever used anywhere, I’ve hated. Only ever used them for recording and/or mixing though. 

DT150s, or DT100s - they do sound very different. I do love the sound of my DT150s, but totally get that they may not be everyones cup of tea.

2 hours ago, Marillionred said:

DT150s, or DT100s - they do sound very different. I do love the sound of my DT150s, but totally get that they may not be everyones cup of tea.

I think mine were 100s (it’s a few years ago now), but I’m pretty sure I’ve used both at various times. I’ve spent a lot of time in a lot of studios! 

One other weird thing I’ve found over the last decade or so when recording vocals wearing Beyers  - and 2 fellow band members found the same, across 3 pro studios - was I can’t pitch properly with them. We all thought our ears had gone (we are all in our 50s😉), however at our current studio (Blueprint in Manc) we switched to Sennheiser HD600s and it was like getting new ears, easy as pie. 

13 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

Which closed back headphones have the biggest ear pads? I have behind the ear hearing aids and big ears

Most (all..?) mail order companies allow returns if the product is not suitable, for whatever reason. Thomann have been rather good when I've messaged or 'phoned for specific information such as your request. They'll take note, check what's what, then get back to you with the reply. I needed info for a bass case for example; it worked out very well.
Hope this helps. B|

• Thanks 1

On 16/10/2020 at 00:20, Dad3353 said:

I've had very good service for several years now from my Superlux headphones, as have the two sons. A fair range available from Thomann; mine are HD669, which fit your description, and cost just under £24. I wear them a lot, for long periods on occasion, and find them to be very comfortable.
Hope this helps. :friends:

A belated "thanks" !  I bought a pair of these a while ago, on the back of your comments, and I'm very pleased with 'em. :)

• Thanks 1

I’m very happy with the PJB or Edifier H850’s.  Really can’t hear any difference between them, so the Edifier wins, as they are often sold for around £38.  Very comfortable. Not the toughest build, but perfectly ok..my original PJB’s must be at least 6 years old now, have travelled a fair bit and have had the ear pads replaced once for about £12.  The headband is just starting to look rough..don’t see any way of replacing that. The sound is great, full, balanced and detailed. 

My old Sennheiser HD580’s are more refined and detailed, and the open design gives a nice feel.  But they would be around £350 today, which (to me) is too much for day to day tracking/learning work.  The PJB or Edifier is my choice - but I would like to try some of the current cheaper Sennheiser models. 

Glad you have decided to avoid Apple's Beats headphones. They are literately expensive junk (Apple bought them, so no surprises there). They even add weights in them to give the impression of quality.

I have some Beyerdynamics DT990 headphones that I would recommend, but they're a little over £50 (I got them on special offer).

Edited by TheLowDown

On 25/11/2020 at 14:22, chris_b said:

I'm interested in these replies. I'm looking for new head phones, my existing (cheap Sony) ones are OK, but I think/ know I could do better.

Sadly, these days it doesn't take much to exceed the capability of my hearing. So I'm looking for a good match for bad ears.

Try the beyerdynamic dt880, comparable to the dt770 but open backed. If a bit of sound leaking out is not a problem (recording or traveling) they are nicer to hear and more comfortable than the dt770.

If for studio use on a budget you can't beat the Samson sr850 on quality for money. Nearly every professional studio in the world will have some of these.

• 2 months later...
On 25/11/2020 at 11:58, ProfJames said:

Nothing beats the Phil Jones Bass headphones...........

On 25/11/2020 at 12:03, PaulWarning said:

according to some reviews build quality is poor

On 25/11/2020 at 12:27, BigRedX said:

If the build quality is the same as the Edifier version, I wouldn't bother with then, no matter how wonderful they supposedly sound. Simply not robust enough for the average musician's use.

Found this thread, as from last night I'm looking for some new cans. Can't say I'm happy with the build quality of the PJB's, considering the cost. The foam pads and covering deteriorated quite early on and they snapped yesterday. Light home use.. mainly me at laptop watching Netflix as I have no compatibility with the missus TV choices and I've found it's wise to let her win.

I bought these from Bass Direct with the Big Head (very well built) as a treat. They are are few years old, but sat in their box until about 2 years ago when I started using them, and the foam went in the first 6 months! Bit miffed to be fair

Look upon my works and despair!....

image.thumb.png.469729f72e53564b9249a5b36535134a.png

image.thumb.png.dff361c0b9c0a6ea368d1391fe2969c3.png

• Like 2

Unless you're super-fussy, almost anything that suits your preferences  made by the major transducer manufacturers (AKG, Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser, Shure, Fostex....etc.) should do the trick.

I personally favour closed-back circumaural designs (for comfort and less sound leakage) with no bluetooth or noise cancelling. I have some moderately priced Sennheisers which I've used daily for over a decade with no issues. 

They're a bit bulky, that's all.

On 25/11/2020 at 08:24, dmccombe7 said:

Went thru same last year when my old Sennheiser HD280's started to fall apart with age.

Read lots of reviews and finally decided on Beyer Dynamic DT770 PRO. I found them to have a clearer or sharper bottom end without losing the depth of bass. It means i can hear the bass far more clearly than the old Senns which had a little bit more boom (i use that word very lightly as the Senns have been great headphones for many many years but it best describes what i'm talking about.) Overall sound quality is far superior to my old Senns.

The DT770 PRO's are far lighter and more comfortable on my head. Headband is tighter but not uncomfortable. I use them mostly with my laptop but occasionally with Hifi separates. 

One other thing i found was a great bonus was the covering on the earpieces is far nicer on the ear if wearing for long periods. The Senns had "leather" type material whereas the BD's have a softer fabric material

With a bit of searching you can get them at a decent price too (currently £109 on Idealo to £135 on Amazon) 

I went for the 80 ohm version. I bought them from Amazon as they have a better return if i don't like them or something not quite right with them. To be fair i can't fault them

Dave 

image.jpeg.47168ada763348cbb31c781f60887ec0.jpeg

I'm thinking of taking a punt on these on Amazon, but one says 80ohms Studio (£106.80), the other says 80ohms Monitor (147.31). Which one do I buy?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Billy Apple said:

I'm thinking of taking a punt on these on Amazon, but one says 80ohms Studio (£106.80), the other says 80ohms Monitor (147.31). Which one do I buy?

I have the 80ohms.  But I don't think there are further variants "80ohms Studio" and "80ohms Monitoring"; isn't that just how different Amazon sellers are marketing the same product?

3 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

I have the 80ohms.  But I don't think there are further variants "80ohms Studio" and "80ohms Monitoring"; isn't that just how different Amazon sellers are marketing the same product?

I've read the Monitor spec-sheet and found my answer

image.png.cd1d6a3c67b153a4a1cd16dbb014ce14.png

Wouldn't want to buy those them... I might catch drumalitis or something

Mine are the Studio ones 80ohm but i dont recognise the "monitor" version either. Think @jrixn1 is right enough.

Great set of phones, well balanced across the tonal range with no excissive low end coming across. Very comfy and lightweight too. I can sit for hours on end with them on.

Well made too

Dave

• Like 1

Ah, sorry.  Looking at beyerdynamic's website, there are at least three slightly different  DT 770:

• DT 770 Pro
  • DT 770 Studio ("Studio nameplate (model identical in construction with DT 770 PRO, 80 Ohm)")
  • DT 770 M ("extremely high isolation from ambient noise").

• Like 1