Why become a member? ×

Headphone(s) recommendation.

NancyJohnson

My old Sennheisers stopped working today, wife has offered to get me a new pair of headphones for Christmas.

Just need some recommendations, there's too much choice.  They have to be wired, preferably enclosing the ears, nothing mental pricewise...up to £50 would do (I think my old pair were under £25) .  Erring on the side of caution, I'd prefer to avoid any fashion branded product (Beats/JL Lab).

10 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

My old Sennheisers stopped working today, wife has offered to get me a new pair of headphones for Christmas.

Just need some recommendations, there's too much choice.  They have to be wired, preferably enclosing the ears, nothing mental pricewise...up to £50 would do (I think my old pair were under £25) .  Erring on the side of caution, I'd prefer to avoid any fashion branded product (Beats/JL Lab).

Another pair of Sennheisers would be a good call, any of the HD series that you like. Generally (and IMHO) Sennehiser, AKG, Beyerdynamic or Sony offer decent quality headphones for the price.

Don't go down the Beats/fashion-styled JBL etc road. As far as I know Dr Dre didn't get his doctorate in audio engineering...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I've had very good service for several years now from my Superlux headphones, as have the two sons. A fair range available from Thomann; mine are HD669, which fit your description, and cost just under £24. I wear them a lot, for long periods on occasion, and find them to be very comfortable.
Hope this helps. :friends:

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 2

A bit of advice I wish I could give to my younger self is to buy headphones with replaceable parts, especially the cable. Pretty much every pair of cans I've owned that has failed has been cable breakage. Similarly I've owned some Sennheiser HD580s, and is on its third cable now. Official cables are much more expensive, but last longer than the eBay knockoffs.

I've tried re-soldering the contact points, but often you have to break the damn things apart to get at it, which kind of renders the exercise pointless.

Edited by chyc
Fix typo
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, chyc said:

A bit of advice I wish I could give to my younger self is to buy headphones with replaceable parts, especially the cable. Pretty much every pair of cans I've owned that has failed has been cable breakage. Similarly I've owned some Sennheiser HD580s, and is on its third cable now. Official cables are much more expensive, but last longer than the eBay knockoffs.

I've tried re-soldering the contact points, but often you have to break the damn things apart to get at it, which kind of renders the exercise pointless.

not doubting you for a second but I've had a pair HD 280 pro's for 12 years or more, still on it's original cable, mind you the adjustable head band is held together with gaffer tape

We've 2 pairs of 'music' headphones in the studio (by which I obviously mean living room stuffed with music stuff). We've a set of Sennheiser HD280 Pro and a set of considerably cheaper Audio Technica ATHM20x. Of these, for practicing and recording I always go for the Audio Technica. The Mrs prefers the Sennheisers for electronic drums, but if I try to use them for mixing I find they're too coloured. Using the Audio Technica I find I get a much more accurate picture, and when I play whatever I've mixed on various devices things are much more balanced.

• 1 month later...

Love my HD280s but I get sweaty ears sometimes so change to pods. Am talking with friends about getting a Yamaha AG03 for use with Jamulus. Getting a mic and stand just for talking seems overkill as we have a very small house, so I was thinking of non over earphones with a boom mic. So questions are;
Are over ear better at masking internet latency effect?

Do you get headphones with XLR plug for mic input, but 3.5 jack for output?

Any advice or recommendations welcome

Went thru same last year when my old Sennheiser HD280's started to fall apart with age.

Read lots of reviews and finally decided on Beyer Dynamic DT770 PRO. I found them to have a clearer or sharper bottom end without losing the depth of bass. It means i can hear the bass far more clearly than the old Senns which had a little bit more boom (i use that word very lightly as the Senns have been great headphones for many many years but it best describes what i'm talking about.) Overall sound quality is far superior to my old Senns.

The DT770 PRO's are far lighter and more comfortable on my head. Headband is tighter but not uncomfortable. I use them mostly with my laptop but occasionally with Hifi separates. 

One other thing i found was a great bonus was the covering on the earpieces is far nicer on the ear if wearing for long periods. The Senns had "leather" type material whereas the BD's have a softer fabric material

With a bit of searching you can get them at a decent price too (currently £109 on Idealo to £135 on Amazon) 

I went for the 80 ohm version. I bought them from Amazon as they have a better return if i don't like them or something not quite right with them. To be fair i can't fault them

Dave 

image.jpeg.47168ada763348cbb31c781f60887ec0.jpeg

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 16/10/2020 at 09:32, chyc said:

This is why I use Beyer Dynamics DT150s - many of the parts are replaceable. They are unfortunately twice the OP budget, but you really do get what you pay for, and as a bassist you'll love the extended bass response. They are not over bassy, they just go deep where lesser models start to distort.

beyerdynamic DT 150 Headset: Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments