Why become a member? ×

Having A Custom Effect Built

stewblack

Didn't realise this was a thing. The moment I found out though the clock was ticking. UI was always going to fall for it. Here's my logic. My board is fukll, complete, cannot be improved upon I have everything I'll ever want. Yet still I keep buying pedals. I'm not very well off, all gig work has dried , however I do live an expense free life so pretty much anything I manage to earn I can spend. Within reason. Well, kind of.

So how do I stop the haemorrhage of what money i do have on yet more effects? Commit to having one made for me, then I'll have no choice but to save every penny to pay for it. Neat right?

Anyhoo, I've not sent a deposit yet but negotiations are underway with the good folk at Bad Penny FX to create a monster box of boosted, gatey fuzzy effects loopiness. This is the preliminary sketch image.png.516131df67ad80680c184894c6b03dee.png

I've asked for a send / return loop so I can add a parallel effect  of my choosing and mix the two together but without the main effect affecting the other one. Or if not using a 2nd pedal then the circuit will just be a clean blend.

As I say early days, the enclosure to be decided upon, but it will be British, hand made, and the only one out there. And all of this is just to save me money. genius I calls it.

• Like 4

This I did not need to see.

I've been looking for something that can EQ/volume match both halves of my Chapman Stick separately, run it through a different fx loop each and then re-combine the outputs to drive an amp. It would also need a stereo aux in and stereo headphone out..

The Basslab Stepabout looks good, but is loadsamoney and doesn't quite cover everything.

37 minutes ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

This I did not need to see.

I've been looking for something that can EQ/volume match both halves of my Chapman Stick separately, run it through a different fx loop each and then re-combine the outputs to drive an amp. It would also need a stereo aux in and stereo headphone out..

The Basslab Stepabout looks good, but is loadsamoney and doesn't quite cover everything.

Speak to Mark at Bad Penny. He's really approachable, loves what he does, really enjoys the challenge of a unique build too. Oh and I have one of his pedals , it sounds, and looks stunningly good.

Edited by stewblack

12 hours ago, pbasspecial said:

I had a custom Reverb/Chorus unit made by Tom at Cog Effects. Absolutely love it. Makes me smile whenever I look at it. Sounds pretty good too.  Tom is a massive Star Wars fan and I love Family Guy.  
Here is my Blue Harvest Pedal.3E3779CE-25DE-43F1-847B-90E837145FE5.thumb.png.50e864c25ada184ef65fdff3ae019ce8.png

Glad I'm not the only one! Really cool pedal. 

• Thanks 1

All hail custom gear. I think the only ‘shop bought’ on my board are the Dave Hall VT1 and a Donner envelope filter.

I’ve just been playing about with a clone of a small clone so it does chorus, vibrato and a quasi flanger. When I started it the insides were all neat and tidy - less so now!

1 hour ago, paul_5 said:

All hail custom gear

I mustard mitt the price of custom pedals and basses had me rolling my eyes in the past. But the money I ever waste buying so many pedals when really my board is just great as is, is ridiculous. 

The thrill of being there at the inception, of having it how I want it, of it being unique. These are gifts difficult to value in pounds sterling. 

The moment this idea landed I pretty much stopped buying other pedals. The only exception is the Zoom MS-60B, of which I only need two more to complete my MS-60B FIVE board. A silly little project which is bringing me no end of pleasure. 

I estimate this one pedal will be the price of maybe 2 1/2 boutique pedals, 3 big name pedals, 4 'normal' pedals, and a furniture lorry full of tiny cheap pedals.

Anyone who knows me and my long standing defence of budget brands knows I'm not a gear snob. This is a one off special treat for me and a chance to support a small UK company. 

Edited by stewblack
typo
  • Like 1

If ever you find yourself worrying about the price of a custom pedal or how much money you stand to lose if you decide to sell it on, take solace in the fact that you didn't decide to "save" money by learning to build your own effects. 

That's the true money sink ;)

I think this looks dope, and a whole lot of fun. Hope it works out for you!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, soldersqueeze said:

If ever you find yourself worrying about the price of a custom pedal or how much money you stand to lose if you decide to sell it on, take solace in the fact that you didn't decide to "save" money by learning to build your own effects. 

That's the true money sink ;)

I think this looks dope, and a whole lot of fun. Hope it works out for you!

My soldering skill begins and ends at 1/4" jack plugs, so I'm safe there. 

Having bought of their pedals I am in no doubt of the sound quality, so I am excited to use it as well as just look at it and sigh

I have an Owen Electronics Space Charge Overdrive, they are intended for guitar but Martin can customise the internals to make it bass friendly. I'm so impressed with the unit and Martins work that I think it's a good thing he does not currently offer any other pedals or I'd want the lot 😁

• Like 1

On 17/10/2020 at 18:24, soldersqueeze said:

Never a truer word spoken - I did a very rough estimate of how much I´ve spent building pedals over the years - it had 4 digits and the first was not 1...

On 19/10/2020 at 15:37, Grav said:

I have an Owen Electronics Space Charge Overdrive, they are intended for guitar but Martin can customise the internals to make it bass friendly. I'm so impressed with the unit and Martins work that I think it's a good thing he does not currently offer any other pedals or I'd want the lot 😁

Cool looking pedal, is it 12v? Pretty big?

4 hours ago, danbowskill said:

Cool looking pedal, is it 12v? Pretty big?

Yeah 12v and also yes, pretty big. In the photo here I have not yet taken the rubber feet off the bottom so it actually sits a bit lower. The Space Charge and the Sansamp together is a great combo!

c9007ce5-425b-4b7c-b98f-0877374e4405.jpg