Why become a member? ×

Newbie...be gentle!

TonyMM55

Hi Bass Chat members,

Thought i'd introduce myself as I'm new here after searching for an SEI Flamboyant bass. I was a beginner bassist in the 90s and never progressed beyond the house apart from a couple of jamming sessions. I had the chance of joining an amateur band and turned it down regrettably due to lack of confidence. Anyway, I still have my Status Graphite Energy headless bass and Trace Elliott amp (AH350SMX with the blue neon light!) and a Trace 15" bass cabinet, as new due to never being out of the house. Due to marriage, the rig got relegated to the garage. luckily the bass and amp stayed indoors... 20 years went by in the blink of an eye and now my daughter has moved out, I've brought the bass cab back indoors. I want to start playing again, and it feels like starting from the beginning. Looks easier to learn nowadays with all the online stuff, including lessons and bass tabs that are available. I used to do it by ear, badly and it took forever to copy simple riffs. I'm checking out Scott's Bass Lessons, Talking Bass.net and a looking at my old scales manuals. I've also signed up for a course on Udemy's web-site. My original influence for picking up a bass was Bernard Edwards of Chic/Sister Sledge and the 70/80s funk scene. I used to go and see Acid Jazz bands back then at Band on the Wall, Boardwalk and PJ Bells in Manchester. Also Brand New Heavies, Jamiroquai, that sort of musical style. In truth, I like anything with a funky bass line.

I stumbled on this site looking for a SEI Flamboyant (headless). I don't need one but just love the look of it after seeing one in Bass Player magazine 20 years ago and I like to collect things, even when I can't afford or play them come to think of it! They get rave reviews for quality build, but look quite rare and hence expensive. It seems like a nice reward to buy one once I can do it justice, if ever ; )

Looking forward to the journey and listenting to your advice in Bass Chat.

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 3

Welcome Tony,

Lots of great information available on the forum, and a fair few people here like you who have got back into playing after a bit of a hiatus. Looks like you've got a good rig already, and don't be afraid to ask questions as there are plenty of friendly folk here with all different levels of experience.

Enjoy getting back into bass playing 👍

• Thanks 1

Thank you everybody for the warm welcome. I will definitely ask questions. I have lots already! I looked up G.A.S. and it made me laugh because I was already thinking of a 5-string which I know is completely unecessary for me at my stage of development. Just looks cool, as does the 6 😀.  Anyway, good to know I'm not the only 'older' bass player and looking forward to the journey! 

Thanks again 👍

Edited by TonyMM55
typo
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, TonyMM55 said:

I was already thinking of a 5-string which I know is completely unecessary for me at my stage of development.

I was like that.

In the end I promised myself a five if I got to the stage where I could play through a set uninterrupted without a lot of mistakes.  I put in some serious practice and got there.  Then I started with my first affordable five, the Steinberger Spirit in my signature file* below.

I had a few songs in my set that needed drop D tuning or a low B string.  My latest bass, the Yamacore is tuned BEAD just for a laugh.

I have a couple of fours and fives now.  I won't look at a six (er, yet).

*To see this you must have viewing of signature files enabled in your account settings.

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Tony, you are definitely in the same boat as me my friend.

I started learning when I was 22, then put the bass away when career and work took over. I'm now 40 and recently decided to try again. Its like starting from the beginning as you say, and I also suffer with the confidence issues that you describe, but I'm determined to get there one way or another!!

This site is really helpful in me finding inspiration and its full of great people 

I also see you are in Cheshire? I'm on the outskirts of Manchester :)

On 25/10/2020 at 10:59, boomboomboom said:

Hey Tony, you are definitely in the same boat as me my friend.

I started learning when I was 22, then put the bass away when career and work took over. I'm now 40 and recently decided to try again. Its like starting from the beginning as you say, and I also suffer with the confidence issues that you describe, but I'm determined to get there one way or another!!

This site is really helpful in me finding inspiration and its full of great people 

I also see you are in Cheshire? I'm on the outskirts of Manchester :)

Good to hear it's not just me! I've actually started a 14 day free trial on Scott's Bass Lessons and there is a novel idea called Players Path which gives structure to the content, i.e. it starts at the beginner level and you make progress through higher levels, as you pass the 'quizzes'. For me, it works and is quite motivating. The first level is relatively easy (for some) and prevents you trying to learn demotivating advanced stuff straight away, which I'm guilty of. I've gained confidence by being competent with the easier bass lines. I'm sure it'll get harder quickly but that's what development is all about eh?! Hopefully, some of that Manchester fairy dust will rub off on us 😉

Edited by TonyMM55
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyMM55 said:

Good to hear it's not just me! I've actually started a 14 dat free trial on Scott's Bass Lessons and there is a novel idea called Players Path which gives structure to the content, i.e. it starts at the beginner level and you make progress through higher levels, as you pass the 'quizzes'. For me, it works and is quite motivating. The first level is relatively easy (for some) and prevents you trying to learn demotivating advanced stuff straight away, which I'm guilty of. I've gained confidence by being competent with the easier bass lines. I'm sure it'll get harder quickly but that's what development is all about eh?! Hopefully, some of that Manchester fairy dust will rub off on us 😉

It's whatever is right for you and sometimes only found through trial and error, enjoy

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TonyMM55 said:

Good to hear it's not just me! I've actually started a 14 dat free trial on Scott's Bass Lessons and there is a novel idea called Players Path which gives structure to the content, i.e. it starts at the beginner level and you make progress through higher levels, as you pass the 'quizzes'. For me, it works and is quite motivating. The first level is relatively easy (for some) and prevents you trying to learn demotivating advanced stuff straight away, which I'm guilty of. I've gained confidence by being competent with the easier bass lines. I'm sure it'll get harder quickly but that's what development is all about eh?! Hopefully, some of that Manchester fairy dust will rub off on us 😉

Haha yeah hopefully so!

I'm a fully subscribed member of SBL. There's tons of content but ill be having a go at Players Path starting right at the beginning and with the hope of picking up good technique and becoming a half decent player someday. Anyway stay in touch and hopefully we can track each others progress a bit. Would be good to share tips with a local whos in the same collective 😀

• Like 1