Why become a member? ×

Single mic into two Apps at the same time on MacBook?

Beedster

Folks

I need to record an interview with a guy who has really poor internet connectivity, OK for a conversation but not great to record. What I want to do is use podcasting software Zencastr or similar to conduct the session itself, but whilst I want him to speak to me live online and record that via the software at my end, I'd like him at the same time to record his side of the conversation to mp3/wav locally and then send me that file. However, this hasn't seemed to work to date, perhaps because mic access is like camera, you can only allocate the hardware to one app at a time. Two questions, firstly should it work, and secondly if not, is there a way around it? Thanks. Chris

25 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Ultimately it might be easier for you to transcribe his part of the conversation and then get him to re-record it on his own computer afterwards, and send you that for editing back in.

Yeh, I know, but we tried that and it sounded really dead. The conversation is one in which we challenge each other on a few things and it just didn't work multi-tracked :) 

On 15/10/2020 at 10:57, Beedster said:

What I want to do is use podcasting software Zencastr or similar to conduct the session itself, but whilst I want him to speak to me live online and record that via the software at my end, I'd like him at the same time to record his side of the conversation to mp3/wav locally and then send me that file.

Isn't the point of Zencastr exactly that; i.e. it automatically records each person locally and then sends you all the files?

30 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

Ok, just sounds odd , as the local recording quality shouldn't be affected by a poor internet connection (only that the file will take longer to send).  Has he got a decent mic/headset setup?

That's what should be the case but doesn't appear to be. Might be a local sound problem so I've sent him a decent mic to use. Belts and braces re zencastr on this as we're recording three interviews and I want a back up in terms of both potential poor quality and - as has luckily only happened once with zencastr in six months of quite high use - loss of interviewee audio file. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 29/10/2020 at 11:23, jrixn1 said:

Isn't the point of Zencastr exactly that; i.e. it automatically records each person locally and then sends you all the files?

On 29/10/2020 at 11:58, jrixn1 said:

Ok, just sounds odd , as the local recording quality shouldn't be affected by a poor internet connection (only that the file will take longer to send).  Has he got a decent mic/headset setup?

Bit of a thread resurrection here, but this came up again the other day, and I realised that the files downloaded locally are in fact the same (rather poor) quality as the files downloaded from the Zencastr website. Our tech guy is looking at Loopback today as we're about to start a wave of remote interviews and it may enable us to record both centrally to Zencastr and locally to the speaker's hard drive at the same time, which I would much prefer (i.e., asking people to send me the locally stored file with the Zencastr file as backup only), but any suggestions for better platforms than Zencastr also welcome.