Why become a member? ×

Amp/ cab advice please

Tony kegs

Hi I  have a pjb suitcase with extension speaker great for home but considering a Aguilar tone hammer 500 plus a couple of db112 or db212 , I love the retro fender jazz tone , passive. I m wondering if anyone out there can recommend anything that could possibly be better? I m looking for used cabs and a new amp my budget is about £12/1300. I really don t know enough  about the subject , I m not bothered about weight as only for home but I d like something small( cab ) any advise much appreciated 

Thanks for the advice nothing wrong with the pjb I just love the Aguilar sound so just thinking of getting one for a change , I was even thinking of getting something brand new for around that price but not sure what s good and bad as you say everyone’s amp seems to be the best 

I've owned a DB750 which some will say is the pinnacle of Aggie tone and I have to say I've had a few amps since the 750 and they sounded better (imho), including a Thunderfunk 550 and TF750 which were superb with a pair od db112's.  

I sold the Aggie cabs and I've settled on the TC RS210 cabs which stacked vertically are a great gig solution... not something you need to worry about.  ;)  

If you like the Aguilar tone then the Tonehammer is def worth a try, they’re great little amps, and like many sound much better in the mix than in isolation. I don’t know how much of the Aguilar tone comes from their cabs though, never had one. I paired my Tonehammer with various Barefaced cabs and imo it worked well.

If you like the PJB sound, why not get a power amp and additional cabs for when you need to make more noise and drive them via the preamp out on the Suitcase? I've become something of a PJB fanboi in recent years. Started with a Flightcase and liked the sound, so added a couple of C4s and a power amp for more of the same. Have subsequently acquired 3 of the older PJB 4B cabs (which I really like). None of the cabs, which were all used but mint - PJB stuff tends not to be bought by hooligans - cost me more than £250 (all but one were around £200). It's handy, in that I can take out as much or as little as I need and because the individual components of my rig are small, it's an easy carry.

Edited by Dan Dare

There's a used Fearless F112 in the FS currently for £500 which is a complete steal. I personally rate it as one of the very best 1x12 cabs around (worth also considering a BF BB2). 

I have my F112 set up at with a Mesa M6 for my home rig and it's a superb combination.  

There are a large number of excellent amp heads in your price range - all with different flavours and features. Do you have a particular sound you're after?