Why become a member? ×

Repair shop tonight

Baxlin

15 minutes ago, bassbiscuits said:

I suspect that with the restorer not being a bass player, it would need to go straight for a decent set up after leaving Repair Shop....

Mmm, it might not be possible to setup after he shaved half the neck away, it’s probably bowing like a banana with any string tension on it.

Edited by 41Hz

Forgive my ignorance of basses from that era, but does the absence of a truss rod cover at the headstock mean there wasn’t one?  Unfortunately I didn’t see the bridge end of the neck.  Either way, how would the action be adjusted? By shims?

As I said, forgive my ignorance!

22 minutes ago, Baxlin said:

Forgive my ignorance of basses from that era, but does the absence of a truss rod cover at the headstock mean there wasn’t one?  Unfortunately I didn’t see the bridge end of the neck.  Either way, how would the action be adjusted? By shims?

As I said, forgive my ignorance!

The truss road adjustment is at the body end of the neck on these basses up until the mid/late 1970s. Not a great design as it involves removing the neck to do it, or at the very least taking off the scratchplate to get access.

The action would be adjusted by the bridge saddles, and/or a shim if needed to raise the neck a little in the neck pocket.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 4000 said:

Yes, I know it’s a P, but....

C2780722-967F-4646-8B2B-0E498D6ABA41.jpeg

Like I said, I find the pickup cover gets in the way of my playing and I would never dare aspire to JJ levels of technique...and didn't he just use his thumb anyway? A pickup cover does restrict ones finger directly above the pickups....

Edited by yorks5stringer

My memory tells me that when I used to see Hot Choc on the tv, several centuries ago, the bass player was usually miming with a left handed white Rickenthanger, or a copy...never a right handed black Jazzer??

Not that it matters, at all.  Maybe more than one bassist?? 

Found this clip of the bass in action on a (mimed) Swiss TV show in 1973. Great shot of the bass in question right from the start, and it doesn't appear to have a Fender logo even back then!  Interesting to see that the percussionist is Patrick Olive, who eventually replaced Tony Wilson on bass (after a short stint by Brian Satterwhite) and famously played that left handed white Rick.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BassBod said:

My memory tells me that when I used to see Hot Choc on the tv, several centuries ago, the bass player was usually miming with a left handed white Rickenthanger, or a copy...never a right handed black Jazzer??

Not that it matters, at all.  Maybe more than one bassist?? 

Different bassist. The “Rickenthanger” was a John Birch IIRC. 

• 4 months later...

Seen it up to the halfway mark (Corrie!).... will watch the rest in the next couple of days.

There was another 6-string on in the last few weeks.... the grandson(?) of the original owner played it at the end, and I quite enjoyed it...... a rare thing as I normally don't like what people play to demo a guitar.

22 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

Seen it up to the halfway mark (Corrie!).... will watch the rest in the next couple of days.

There was another 6-string on in the last few weeks.... the grandson(?) of the original owner played it at the end, and I quite enjoyed it...... a rare thing as I normally don't like what people play to demo a guitar.

I'll try and find that on the iplayer, I'm not really interested in most of the stuff on repair shop

• Like 1