Jump to content
Baxlin

Repair shop tonight

Recommended Posts

Apparently tonight's episode is as they say ‘a second opportunity to see’ the repair of a bass guitar owned by Hot Chocolate’s original bassist.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not seen it yet, but from this ^^^^^ do I want to?

Edited by Baxlin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I watched it first time, it’s painful what they do to the neck 

It wasn’t edifying was it. From memory, the action at the end of the “restoration “ was awful, you would need to take a bus from the string to the fingerboard. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, bassbiscuits said:

Is that a good thing, or was it a botch job?

Not a good thing IMHO....😦

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard about this episode, and have been looking forward to the repeat. Thnaks for the notice!

Sounds like it's not great though........... but I'll still watch or record it..

I'll categorise the repair on the following scale:

Great>Good>OK>-Bad>Awful>Even-I-Could-Have-Done-It-Better

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw the original - wasn't impressive, about on the same level

as the juke box resto they bodged their way through..........

(I know jukes, I repaired/owned them for 20+ years)

😎

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, police squad said:

I looked at the website of the luthier who did the work. He says he had to do the work to make it properly playable

Do you think that they had as a technical adviser , "he who can't be named"?

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, was that a genuine Jan '66 (as on the end of the bound neck...) Fender Jazz? No logo, and those machine heads?

Edited by PaulThePlug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have only just stopped shaking my head after watching it the first time. They some good stuff on there but sometimes over restore stuff, sadly they did that and more and removed everything great about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

So, was that a genuine Jan '66 (as on the end of the bound neck...) Fender Jazz? No logo, and those machine heads?

I was wondering that same thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anyone offer a short summary of what they did wrong, for someone like me who will probably never see the show? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Baxlin said:

the repair of a bass guitar owned by Hot Chocolate’s original bassist.

my ever so slightly interesting story regarding Hot Chocolates original bass player......

Many years ago my driving instructor told me that he was previously a session musician - guitar. One of his circle of friends/colleagues was the original bassist of Hot Chocolate (who basically formed the group and co-songwriter) - Tony Wilson.

My driving instructor was invited by Tony to join the group at the start ("I've written some great songs with a great singer") but declined because he had too many projects fail before.

Just think - If history had worked differently I may not be able to drive today!

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

my ever so slightly interesting story regarding Hot Chocolates original bass player......

Many years ago my driving instructor told me that he was previously a session musician - guitar. One of his circle of friends/colleagues was the original bassist of Hot Chocolate (who basically formed the group and co-songwriter) - Tony Wilson.

My driving instructor was invited by Tony to join the group at the start ("I've written some great songs with a great singer") but declined because he had too many projects fail before.

Just think - If history had worked differently I may not be able to drive today!

Or maybe you’d have been taught to drive by the guy who used to play bass in Hot Chocolate 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chris2112 said:

Can anyone offer a short summary of what they did wrong, for someone like me who will probably never see the show? 

From memory, in order to take a dint out of the neck, he shaved the neck thinner,added unnecessary ashtray and pickup cover, but here's the list from the horses mouth..

https://flameguitars.co.uk/the-repair-shop/

 

Edited by yorks5stringer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The neck shaving bit did make me wince, but it depends how badly that big dent on the back affected playing comfort. 

Apart from that it was a lot less bodged than I’d been led to believe - essentially a neck refin, refret, new logo (not sure why he bothered with that tho) and general clean up.

The lad wanted it as a working instrument, rather than a museum piece. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, bassbiscuits said:

The neck shaving bit did make me wince, but it depends how badly that big dent on the back affected playing comfort. 

Apart from that it was a lot less bodged than I’d been led to believe - essentially a neck refin, refret, new logo (not sure why he bothered with that tho) and general clean up.

The lad wanted it as a working instrument, rather than a museum piece. 

 

I've always found the pickup cover gets in the way of playing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

I was more intrigued by the case. Did he really tour his bass in that?

that was well weird wasn't it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

I've always found the pickup cover gets in the way of playing.

Definitely - they look cool but are a pain to play with.

But they're hardly invasive to install or difficult to remove either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect that with the restorer not being a bass player, it would need to go straight for a decent set up after leaving Repair Shop....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...