Why become a member? ×

Boss SY-1000 - Synth Engine & Multifx

Al Krow

44 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Brilliant thanks! I was just thinking it's a real shame that they didn't think to make a bass version, except they did! 

Really interested what you were pairing your GK3B with in terms of pedals and if you have any clips of you what you produced, that would be marvellous.

First I had the original V-Bass, and then a VB-99. Fortunately no clips have survived!

1 minute ago, pete.young said:

First I had the original V-Bass, and then a VB-99. Fortunately no clips have survived!

Shame (or quietly destroyed eh? 😁 )

Were you using them for live work and / or recording or mainly for fun at home?

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Even a Bass VI which has guitar spacing?

Yes, but he doesn't have a bass VI.

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

But it's a useful point to be aware of regarding using it on a normal 18mm / 19mm 5 string bass i.e. it's not going to work for me; so thanks for the reminder!

the GK3B fits that fine. I have had a GK3B on both a Squier P Bass and a G&L L2500.

18 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Could you just not use the GK3 as an additional pup, in the interim, or indeed as a much cheaper alternative? (Although I know from your general approach / other purchases, you don't scrimp on costs!)

The SY-1000 is going to be used with my recently acquired Eastwood Hooky Bass 6 (a copy of the Shergold Marathon 6-string bass) and which has a 13.5 string spacing at the bridge which is too wide for the guitar version and too narrow for the bass version of the Roland pickup system, hence the need for the custom pickup. This has turned out to exactly the right Bass VI for my playing style, and so the others I currently have will soon be up for sale.

Believe me, if I could get away with an off-the-shelf solution, in this case I would be more than happy to do so. However because of the nature of the pickup I've chosen, it has to be properly fitted to the bass which will mean a custom body for the routing for the pickup and associated electronics as I don't want to alter the original body.

Also it's not so much scrimping on the cost, but more of a result of spending most of my playing time on the 70s and 80s having to make do with all sorts of compromises with the equipment I had, either because I couldn't afford something that did what I needed, or at the time it simply didn't exist because the technology hadn't caught up with my imagination; therefore now that I can afford most of the things that I want and that someone, somewhere is already making them, I don't mind paying the money to get the right tool for the job.

• Like 1

Interesting in that we've both independently landed on 13.5mm (your Eastwood) to 14mm (my Ibby GVB36) as being a really good spacing for our alternative Bass VIs! 

Yours, I'm assuming, will be a tapered string spacing, whereas my GVB is a straight 14mm all along the fretboard.

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

Interesting in that we've both independently landed on 13.5mm (your Eastwood) to 14mm (my Ibby GVB36) as being a really good spacing for our alternative Bass VIs! 

Yours, I'm assuming, will be a tapered string spacing, whereas my GVB is a straight 14mm all along the fretboard.

Yes, but it's still wider at the nut compared with all the other Bass VIs that I have tried - 50mm nut with 43mm between the high and low E strings.

7 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Yeah - you should have sold it to me! :)

I advertised it on here for a while, noone was interested :)

7 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

The Eastwood is a different animal (scale length, string spacing at nut and a fair bit more expensive) - but it does look good:

Ooh - a sherwood headstock, not so keen on those!

Yeah it was before I realised I needed one! Gotta bear in mind it takes me a little while to catch up with what you're up to and sometimes you've bought and sold gear before I've even worked out what the heck it's for 😁

Tbf I'm using my GVB36 in a very non-standard way: it's strung E to E and used as an electric classical bass with normal six string guitar tuning.

Edited by Al Krow

41 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Yeah it was before I realised I needed one! Gotta bear in mind it takes me a little while to catch up with what you're up to and sometimes you've bought and sold gear before I've even worked out what the heck it's for 😁

Tbf I'm using my GVB36 in a very non-stanIdard way: it's strung E to E and used as an electric classical bass with normal six string guitar tuning.

I took mine to a gig the first day I got it. I messed up quite a lot of songs. Turns out my abilty to switch between a 4 and 5 without issue is that I subconciously measure strings from the smallest up, and someone had added another smaller one!

Loved the colour of that thing though, wish they would use it more.

51 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Ooh - a sherwood headstock, not so keen on those!

It's essentially a straight copy of Hooky's Shergold Marathon 6-string bass, and having played one (not Hooky's and a long time ago) I'd say they got it pretty much spot on! It's certainly the right Bass VI for me until I have the cash to get Gus to make me one with the same string spacing.

35 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

It's essentially a straight copy of Hooky's Shergold Marathon 6-string bass, and having played one (not Hooky's and a long time ago) I'd say they got it pretty much spot on! It's certainly the right Bass VI for me until I have the cash to get Gus to make me one with the same string spacing.

Oh yes, I am sure it is fine, I was just a big disliker of shergold headstocks. I had one many years ago, and my friend had a guitar by them. They were actually ok, but never got on with the headstock

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Several firmware updates later (version 1.09 now) and the SY-1000 is still a great unit, Bass models and amp sims are great.

I love being able to use separate strings for different tones.

one example is an A.I.C song Nutshell

One instrument model (INST1) is regular bass on B-E-A-D strings only.

another instrument, dynamic synth (INST2) sounding like a bass pitch harmony only on the D string, sounding between the 4th and 8th frets only.

another instrument, (strat guitar) with Pitch Harmony effects producing a bar-chord + 12string effect, for a 12 string steel guitar chord, from playing single notes on the G string only.

Love this magic box !!

Even better that now I have it paired with the Boss GM-800.

8 hours ago, gumtown said:

Several firmware updates later (version 1.09 now) and the SY-1000 is still a great unit, Bass models and amp sims are great.

I love being able to use separate strings for different tones.

one example is an A.I.C song Nutshell

One instrument model (INST1) is regular bass on B-E-A-D strings only.

another instrument, dynamic synth (INST2) sounding like a bass pitch harmony only on the D string, sounding between the 4th and 8th frets only.

another instrument, (strat guitar) with Pitch Harmony effects producing a bar-chord + 12string effect, for a 12 string steel guitar chord, from playing single notes on the G string only.

Love this magic box !!

Even better that now I have it paired with the Boss GM-800.

Wow - that is some combo of SY-1000 & GM-800!! What context are you using them - mostly home/studio stuff or also for live use?

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Wow - that is some combo of SY-1000 & GM-800!! What context are you using them - mostly home/studio stuff or also for live use?

Thanks 😀

Live gig use, the SY-1000 does mostly bass type stuff, the GM-800 foes mostly synthy pad type stuff.

I use the expression pedal to usually mix between the two tone sources.

An example is the SY-1000 is doing acoustic/upright bass modeling, and the GM-800 is doing a fretless bass tone, really adds the "wmwah" of fretless to the upright double bass tone.

The gear on the pedalboard is midi inter-connected, the SY-1000 being the master controller, and the rest follows its patch changes using the GK pickup S1/S2 buttons patch change on the bass.

Change patch and there is gritty bass and dirty Deep Purple organ.

Another patch I use for AC/DC 'its a long way to the top' pull a high B note and hit a GM-800 synth hold button, and you have bagpipes drone when the expression pedal is toe down, and the bagpipe melody played with my toe on the midi foot controller while playing the regular bass part in my hands.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Al Krow said:

@gumtown - sounds great! 

Love to see your kit in action live if you've any clips available to share?

Not yet, last weekend was the first gig with this setup, only one practice session too, so the level balances between patches was not quite there.

Will try to record something.