Why become a member? ×

Basstech in Acton late 80’s

loboboy

I know this will sound odd but I'm searching the web for answers to a question that is bugging me.

I went to Basstech in Acton circa 88'/89. Had lessons with Rob Burns and loved every minute of it.

I played a load of the workshops for Guitartech as I just bunked school.

I've had a tune banging around in my head for years.

A slap bass tune that sounds a lot like Jaco's Chicken but the melody is played on sax.

Played it at that pub round the corner from Basstech on one of their band nights.

Please - anybody name that tune so I can die in peace.

Cheers J

Can't help with the song but was also at Basstech around that time too. Started with some lessons with Joe Hubbard and then Rob Burns. Went to a few workshops too. Some with just us bassist playing along to backing tracks such as Red Dwarf, and some with the guitarists. Only made the pub one night when Rob was playing. Really enjoyed my time there. Good luck with your search.

19 hours ago, leftybassman392 said:

At that time I'm pretty sure the Guitar school was called The Guitar Institute - certainly was when I was there in the mid-90s. Run by Tony Limbrick IIRC

As to the tune, I can't help I'm afraid. Sorry.

It was indeed the Guitar Institute - Alan Limbrick was head of G.I. Tony Muschamp ran the Bass Institute (I was there Autumn / Winter 1987), and Francis Seriau ran Drumtech. My first experience of class room education for bass 🙂