Why become a member? ×

Advice on a combo amp for practice and small gigs (complete novice here)

KateWantsToPlayBass

45 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Thanks. I have tried the Double 4. It's a great little combo and very clean as you say. I just take out one of my C4s and a head (usually the Carvin) for small jobs. Not much bigger and quite a bit more oomph.

yes......all a matter of budget and needs, would love to have your set up but divorce means I am rebuilding my little collection with a couple of little amps.  The Double 4  is a cracking little amp for the price

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ProfJames said:

yes......all a matter of budget and needs, would love to have your set up but divorce means I am rebuilding my little collection with a couple of little amps.  The Double 4  is a cracking little amp for the price

I know from experience how costly the big D can be, so good luck with getting back on track. The good thing about PJB stuff is that it can be had in very good shape used (it doesn't seem to get bought by hooligans, presumably because it's small and has a reputation for being liked by jazzers). Three of my cabs were bought used and none cost me more than £250. If you have a preamp out on the D4, you could think about adding a power amp and additional cab(s) when the time comes that you want to make more noise.

• Thanks 1