Why become a member? ×

Advice on a combo amp for practice and small gigs (complete novice here)

KateWantsToPlayBass

Hello 

I'm new to bass playing and so far have been practising using a 15w guitar amp and doing gigs using borrowed bass amps or through the PA, neither situation being ideal!

I haven't got a clue what I'm talking about so I'm looking for simple advice on whether its possible to get the following for under £300. 

An amp that isn't too bulky or heavy for me to lug to gigs as I'm not strong, I have a smallish car and quite often there is a child in a car seat in the back so I need to be able to get my bass and amp in the boot of the car.

It doesn't need to have loads of effects, in fact the simpler the better. I'm never going to be a great player. My aim is just to provide a clear, rhythmic functional bass line to a small band (most often lead singer, backing singer x2, guitar, keys, cello, bass).

We occasional do gigs in large venues but for these we have a sound guy and my bass will be put through the PA. 

So I'm looking for an amp that will be powerful enough for gigs in smaller venues (audience of 60 people in a village hall for example, or in a pub) but not break the bank as money is tight at the moment as a musician in Covid times...

I've looked at the smallers Ashdowns but they seem heavy (22kg I think?) and Fender Rumbles. Also seeing Laney and Peevey crop up.

I'd love a bit of advice on any particular amp that might fit the bill. 

Thanks

Good call on the Fender Rumble, for the budget specified you should be able to pick one up and it will fit the bill nicely. 

Also the Ashdown Studio 12, 100 watts, 22lbs and within budget new. Plus based in the UK so in unlikely event if any issues easy to deal with, rather than via distributors etc.

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 3

Another +1 for the Fender Rumble. I have the 100 and it’s incredibly light and easy to transport, as well as sounding great too. They have a DI for when you want to use it with a PA, and are loud enough for your needs as well as being well within your budget. 

Rimmers Music have them in stock currently at £269, which is a great price for such a good combo. S/h ones seem to go for £180 ish if you want to save more money.

Edited by casapete

58 minutes ago, KateWantsToPlayBass said:

Thank you all so much for replying. 

I have just been very jammy and picked up a new Fender Rumble 100 for £250! 

I cannot wait to do some bass practice through a proper amp rather than through my 15w Stagg guitar amp!

Great choice, I'm sure you'll love it! Enjoy.

I have an Ashdown Evo11 180w at home. Perfectly adequate as a practice amp with good tonal palette (and brilliant Customer service from Ashdown if required). I haven't used it in real anger but I would expect it to do what was required...it's an Ashdown after all.

They sell for around £100...great VFM IMO

Welcome! Well done on the Fender Rumble....great choice!

In Feb/March, I had a few gigs lined up and so bought a Peavey Minimax from here and a Peavey Streamliner (Headliner) cab.

Covid!

Realised quickly that my mainly home playing and occasional gig didn’t need to go past 3 or 4 on that rig!

Saw the Blackstar Unity 120W Deal a few weeks back and got one for £199!

Managed to sell my Peavey rig for almost the same price on Gumtree....the wee Unity is more than adequate but if the deal hadn’t been on I’d also be sitting with a rumble!

Edited by merello

On 14/10/2020 at 10:36, KateWantsToPlayBass said:

Thank you all so much for replying. 

I have just been very jammy and picked up a new Fender Rumble 100 for £250! 

I cannot wait to do some bass practice through a proper amp rather than through my 15w Stagg guitar amp!

As you can see, the OP has now got sorted with an amp, a Fender Rumble 100. 😊

On 16/10/2020 at 19:14, ProfJames said:

With a 300 pound budget you could get a Phil Jones Bass 70w amp.  I managed to get one for 275.  Size of a shoe box .............

Good luck gigging with one of those, unless you play in wine bars with just an acoustic guitarist.

Edited by Dan Dare

13 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Good luck gigging with one of those, unless you play in wine bars with just an acoustic guitarist.

70watt is big enough for small venues, depends on the acoustics as well.  PJB kit also keeps it's clarity which cannot be said about some f the 100watt portable amps I have tried and heard over the years.  Also depends on the music you are playing, set up, etc.  Suggest you try one if you haven't already.  Great amps.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ProfJames said:

Love that!  Wouldn't think of taking you on with my PJB shoe box though!

Thanks. I have tried the Double 4. It's a great little combo and very clean as you say. I just take out one of my C4s and a head (usually the Carvin) for small jobs. Not much bigger and quite a bit more oomph.

• Like 1